Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidcafor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
Spain
These days I've been noticed that my iPhone 4S with iOS 9.2.1 has a lot of usage in the phone app, arround 80%-85% so I've to charge the battery 2-3 times a day.
In the battery usage section it shows that Phone App has "low signal" and the Whatsapp too... is there any problem with that? How could I fix this?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
These days I've been noticed that my iPhone 4S with iOS 9.2.1 has a lot of usage in the phone app, arround 80%-85% so I've to charge the battery 2-3 times a day.
In the battery usage section it shows that Phone App has "low signal" and the Whatsapp too... is there any problem with that? How could I fix this?

Low signal means that your phone's connection to the nearest cell tower for your carrier is so weak it struggles to maintain a connection. This is what uses up the battery.

What can you do?

1. Call your carrier and complain about coverage where you are.
2. try resetting network settings (this will wipe your Wifi passwords so be careful)
3. change carriers (probably not an option)
4. Enable voice/data roaming in cellular settings (I did this once and a foreign tower gave me a better signal than the Verizon tower that was near me).

davidcafor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
Spain
The 4S usually has 3/5 bars, sometimes 2...
The problem comes at night. If I leave the phone on at night at for example 80% battery, when I get up it will have 30%. That's a lot of battery drain. At a normal day... From 9:00 am to 6:00pm it only drains 20% or 30%.

I suppose that the carrier is not the problem, because there's a 5S and an iphone4 at home and they¡ve no problem.
I will try resetthing network settings before restauring the hole phone.

Thanks for the help.

iRoRo

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2013
UK
The 4S usually has 3/5 bars, sometimes 2...
The problem comes at night. If I leave the phone on at night at for example 80% battery, when I get up it will have 30%. That's a lot of battery drain. At a normal day... From 9:00 am to 6:00pm it only drains 20% or 30%.

I suppose that the carrier is not the problem, because there's a 5S and an iphone4 at home and they¡ve no problem.
I will try resetthing network settings before restauring the hole phone.

Thanks for the help.

Although there seems to be a battery drain especially at night, have you thought about putting the phone on aeroplane mode at night until the issue is resolved, as a temporary measure?
After all, I certainly wouldn't want woken up in the early hours whilst sleeping..

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Network signal strength is the MAIN responsible for poor battery life. 2-3 bars could be a very low signal. I strongly suggest you to put the iPhone on aero plane mode as soon as you can at home.

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
Turn on WiFi Calling (if your carrier has it). Same issue with my 6s. As others have said, a weak signal will use more battery. Remember that the "bars" are only a representation of signal strength. Go into field test mode to get a more usable strength number. My problem was reduced considerable when I was able to use WiFi calling with Verizon on 9.3 Beta. Still happens when I'm in a low signal area that has no WiFi.

(Oops, sorry, didn't read well enough to see you don't have a phone capable of WiFi calling.)

Last edited:

davidcafor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
Spain
It seems that the problem is solved. From friday to saturday and saturday to sunday night it doesn't drain too much batery. Don't know if reseting network settings was the solution or it was something from the company side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.