Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

homebrewz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Upstate NY
Greetings all,

I was trying to film some of the snowfall here in the northeastern US and my iPhone 4S got a little wet in the snowfall, but I didn't think anything got into the phone itself. After having been nearly at a full charge, the battery went down to 1%, so I plugged it in. After a little bit of charging, it seemed to work fine again. I kept it in my pocket while plowing and shoveling. It got cold, but not wet. It seemed to turn itself off and won't turn on again. I tried charging it and it still wouldn't turn on. Just in case, I put it in a bag of silica gel packets overnight, then tried charging it again this morning. I then cleaned the charging port with 91% isopropyl alcohol, blew it out with canned air, then more charging and it still won't turn on.

Is it likely the battery, or is it more likely that the phone itself?

If the phone is bad, will it be possible to download the photos? Contacts and music are sync'd to my computer.

Thank you.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Just a guess here... but it could be the extreme cold weather killed your battery especially if it was the original battery in the 4s. A 4s is an old iPhone. BTW, all iPhones will shut down when the cold exceeds what the phone has been designed for. I would try replacing the battery. It sounds like your phone did not get snow inside of it.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

homebrewz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Upstate NY
Thanks, @chscag! That sounds positive. I know its an old phone, and the battery life has been short lately, especially when I use the wifi a lot. I keep data turned off partly to conserve battery life. I will consult the iFixIt site, unless there are better recommendations out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.