Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I'm preparing for what I'd like to be a smooth transition when my kids open their iPhone XRs Christmas Day. One will be coming from an iPhone 6 running 12.1. That will be fine. The other has an iPhone 5. I just noticed it's running 10.3. If I remember correctly, when I've restored devices from a backup, the backups had to be the same version. Will I be able to set this phone up from a backup?

Thanks!

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
All the iCloud stuff like contacts, calenders, notes, safari and photos should transfer when he signs into iCloud with his Apple id.. I’m not 100% sure you can’t restore from a backup as I’ve never owned a device that couldn’t run the latest iOS but you can try and see if it works. If not, he may lose some data.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I'm preparing for what I'd like to be a smooth transition when my kids open their iPhone XRs Christmas Day. One will be coming from an iPhone 6 running 12.1. That will be fine. The other has an iPhone 5. I just noticed it's running 10.3. If I remember correctly, when I've restored devices from a backup, the backups had to be the same version. Will I be able to set this phone up from a backup?

Thanks!
The only issue you may see is that some of the apps on the old phone may no longer be available or supported on the newer device. Since all apps during a restore are downloaded from the App Store you may see the message that not all apps could be installed. I’ve run into that a couple times.

Last edited:

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
Yeah, keep in mind that 10.3 still has 32bit apps support. They may be missing after the restore.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
Thanks for the info! Sounds like we should be good tomorrow!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.