Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
Hi all,

I have an iPhone 5 on EE here in the UK. I'm on a normal 3G plan (no 4G) but I wish to turn off 3G to save battery life when I'm out, I normally turn it on when I need to browse etc however I only have the option to turn off LTE on my iPhone (even though I don't have a 4G plan)

By turning off LTE I am still left with a 3G signal.

I'm guessing this is a carrier issue. If I unlock my iPhone and put say an o2 simcard in there will I get the option to turn off 3G and then out my EE simcard back in?

Regards,

SSD

Rosh

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2010
London, UK
EE uses only 3G network. Same as Three. Networks such as orange tmobile o2 use 2g and 3G networks and so are able to turn off 3G.

stormchaser

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
UK
There is no option on the iPhone 5 to turn off 3G. It's nothing to do with carriers. You can only turn off LTE. I'm with Orange/EE too.
On my 3GS there is the option but on the 5 there isn't.

nellisere

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
EE uses only 3G network. Same as Three. Networks such as orange tmobile o2 use 2g and 3G networks and so are able to turn off 3G.

Not true. EE uses 2G aswell, my Mum's phone get's GPRS on EE. Because both T-Mobile/Orange and EE use the same carrier files, you will always get the LTE toggle but no 3G toggle, so there's no way to get the 3G toggle back unless you are jailbroken. It's something that you will have to try and ask EE to include in their carrier files, but it's highly unlikely that they'll listen.

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
There is no option on the iPhone 5 to turn off 3G. It's nothing to do with carriers. You can only turn off LTE. I'm with Orange/EE too.
On my 3GS there is the option but on the 5 there isn't.

No, this is incorrect as well. It has to do with your network and network profile settings. I am in China where there is no LTE, so I have the 3G toggle on my iphone 5. I cant say for sure about O2 or EE, but I know it is possible for iphone 5 to only have 3G toggle.

KWG7Lhm.png

anaqvi786

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2013
At iOS planet
No, this is incorrect as well. It has to do with your network and network profile settings. I am in China where there is no LTE, so I have the 3G toggle on my iphone 5. I cant say for sure about O2 or EE, but I know it is possible for iphone 5 to only have 3G toggle.

It depends on the carrier. EE doesn't support the carrier but your iPhone in china works with th toggle because they support it in the file

stormchaser

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
UK

No iam correct. EE Doesn't support this. I have LTE toggle whereas you have 3G.

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
No iam correct. EE Doesn't support this. I have LTE toggle whereas you have 3G.

Now we are getting into technicality because you stated it has nothing to do with the carriers and iPhone 5 cannot have a 3G toggle. I am just saying it can.

Its ok. Bottom line for the OP is that he can't achieve this with EE. All is good.

stormchaser

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
UK
Thanks for that. Obviously EE have chosen not to have 3G as a toggle. I wish they did give this option :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.