Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sanddoc

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
I'm stumped, No I'm Dave

Anyway.. I have an Iphone 5 bought it new.. and it has always worked fine, I did replace the battery last year.
Now many times when I connect the usb either to charge it or work with the computer it does not show up.
then for no reason it does some to connect by ringing, sometimes if I even touch the Iphone it comes on.. no the home button.
or even if I kick the USB cable while pluged in the screen comes on.
I thought it might be the docking port so I bought a new factory one which I just got..
I have looked at many videos about replacing this item and I new I could do the job.
But when I opend the case, "tilted the screen up" there was a metal plate, which I had not seen in any video.
this is the LCD plate, and I thought it was suppose to be attached to the screen....
Does anyone know the reason for this. The software reports this as an Iphone 5...
Best

Sanddoc

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Thanks. That is where I started and I have not found this "style, model" were the plate is not
attached to the screen..

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Strange. But A picture would help us. But anyway maybe its also a 3rd party screen replacement that’s different.

does it matter to disassemble the lightning port?
I mean maybe u can find the way by yourself. Regarding the age of the phone you will not loose much financially if it fails.
If then maybe it’s time to invest $50 to get a iphone 5s ?

Sanddoc

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Thanks maerz001 for your input
I found out what happen when I took the phone into a shop
I had the battery replaced last year, the Tech did not install the screen and plate correctly
(don't ask me). he put the LCD plate in, then put the screen in and clued it..
So when I pulled the screen up that was all that came up...
The Tech yesterday fixed everything and did not charge me... but I tipped him for his time.
He thought I might need to replace the screen, but since everything was working fine,
he put the LCD plate back in place and all is fine...
Best

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.