Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
On my iPhone 5, running 6.0 (I would love to get it up to 6.1.4, and I do have a back up for that version, but I don't think it is possible, am I correct) --

anyway on 6.0, I'll notice iTunes songs will start playing randomly (and wear down the battery) even though I have not turned it on.

Is this an ios6 issue?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Randomly as in while the phone is just on its own lying down somewhere? Or while it's in your pocket or something like that?

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
That's odd. Wouldn't the phone normally be locked in the pocket, and thus would't register any interaction or perform any action that requires interaction?

No lock on ios6 as far as I know. This is 6.0.0

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Screen lock--basically the power/sleep button. There's also the auto-lock setting and passcode setting if that might be needed too.

That would make sense if I was using iTunes to listen to music on the phone on a regular basis. But I am not. It is randomly turning iTunes music on, and ONLY the iTunes app is turned on.

Very strange. I recall there used to be something that happens to an iPod or iPhone if it was jostled or shook. Not sure if this is some weird old app that is turning on the music or not.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That would make sense if I was using iTunes to listen to music on the phone on a regular basis. But I am not. It is randomly turning iTunes music on, and ONLY the iTunes app is turned on.

Very strange. I recall there used to be something that happens to an iPod or iPhone if it was jostled or shook. Not sure if this is some weird old app that is turning on the music or not.
It kind of doesn't make sense on any level. The fact that it's using something to play back music that you aren't even using just adds on to the strangeness, but the fact that it's doing anything at all while in your pocket and locked, is rather strange to begin with (unless perhaps it's not actually locked, which addresses one part of the mystery).

Not sure if shaking would play a role (I think it's usually linked to "undo" action or perhaps changing the equalizer), but perhaps something related to Control Center or something like that.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Reviving this old thread, just go to the music settings and turn off Shake to Shuffle. With it on, my iPhones start playing music when i shake/jostle them while they're locked.
Thanks but shake to shuffle wasn't on in the first place. But this is what it is doing. Wondering if this has something to do with the headphones being plugged in when it happens (though I think it happens regardless)...

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
This really doesn't make any sense. Ok let me try to piece this together, The phone is in standby (locked with screen off) and it decides, "Hey, I wanna play some music!" Then launches the Music app and plays music in the background.

Is this correct?

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
This really doesn't make any sense. Ok let me try to piece this together, The phone is in standby (locked with screen off) and it decides, "Hey, I wanna play some music!" Then launches the Music app and plays music in the background.

Is this correct?
Yes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.