Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
Hi folks.
Just asking an opinion question....

I have varying iOS devices kept on different OS’s just because I like having the ability to play certain games or for checking websites compatibility.
I am aware there may be a bug with certain older iPhones in regards to gps and system time.
I have an iPhone 5 I have kept on iOS 9.3.3 and it still runs quite well.

I do not use it as a daily driver and can’t really foresee it ever again being needed.

-I also realize I could always update later if if needed- can’t go back though

So, basically I am wondering how is iOS 10 on an iPhone 5?

Thanks for all the help and input

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
The iPhone 5 aged gracefully on iOS 10. It definitely not as bad as the 4s and older iPhones on their last supported iOS version.

I have applied the latest iOS 10 on my iPhone 5 with the GOS fix. Granted I don’t use it as my daily driver, and I have reset it so it doesn’t have much apps anymore, but I feel it to be okay and UI transitions are still smooth. Apps like WhatsApp and Google maps still work fine. Of course, I don’t expect it to be a multi tasking machine. I bet running a lot of apps and/or heavy web browsing can slow it down.

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
The iPhone 5 aged gracefully on iOS 10. It definitely not as bad as the 4s and older iPhones on their last supported iOS version.

I have applied the latest iOS 10 on my iPhone 5 with the GOS fix. Granted I don’t use it as my daily driver, and I have reset it so it doesn’t have much apps anymore, but I feel it to be okay and UI transitions are still smooth. Apps like WhatsApp and Google maps still work fine. Of course, I don’t expect it to be a multi tasking machine. I bet running a lot of apps and/or heavy web browsing can slow it down.

Thanks I appreciate the input!

I guess I am going to hav e to weigh the pros and cons of what I want out of an iOS 9.3.3/10.3.4 device.
I don’t think I’d ever use the iPhone 5 as anything other than an emergency device but it is nice to know iOS 10 does not hamstring the iPhone 5 too much.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I kept my spare iPhone 5 on iOS 9.3.5 up until about 6 months ago. My daily phone I use all the time is a 6 Plus on iOS 9.3.5 even though I have an iPhone 7 on iOS 13 (I never use). BTW iOS 13 as of right now is lame. Definitely NOT an improvement over iOS 9.3.5 on my 6+. So much for progress.

My iPhone 5 on iOS 10 seems just as fast (or slow) as it was on iOS 9.3.5. Performance wise I can't tell the difference.
One annoying thing is when I turn it off and have to swipe to finally turn off, I'll swipe & nothing happens. Then swipe & swipe & swipe until eventually it shuts down. So far that's the only bug I've noticed.

iOS 10 introduced CPU throttling on tired batteries and once it throttles, you can't tell by looking at any battery info screen- the phone just starts getting slow until you risk changing the battery.

Bottom line: iOS 10 seems fine on the iPhone 5. iOS 13 on an iPhone 7 sucks (at least my experience does).

I'm finding that Apple absolutely despises customers using iOS 9. They've blocked many of their apps and online store from iOS 9 users. They refuse to send two factor authorization to a device running iOS 9 also. Most of their website doesn't work on iOS 9.3.5 safari. They want iOS 9 people to have a miserable experience so hopefully they'll upgrade (and not like the upgrade) and eventually buy a new $$shiny bug riddled iPhone running a beta buggy new version of iOS.

Last edited:

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
I kept my spare iPhone 5 on iOS 9.3.5 up until about 6 months ago. My daily phone I use all the time is a 6 Plus on iOS 9.3.5 even though I have an iPhone 7 on iOS 13 (I never use). BTW iOS 13 as of right now is lame. Definitely NOT an improvement over iOS 9.3.5 on my 6+. So much for progress.

My iPhone 5 on iOS 10 seems just as fast (or slow) as it was on iOS 9.3.5. Performance wise I can't tell the difference.
One annoying thing is when I turn it off and have to swipe to finally turn off, I'll swipe & nothing happens. Then swipe & swipe & swipe until eventually it shuts down. So far that's the only bug I've noticed.

iOS 10 introduced CPU throttling on tired batteries and once it throttles, you can't tell by looking at any battery info screen- the phone just starts getting slow until you risk changing the battery.

Bottom line: iOS 10 seems fine on the iPhone 5. iOS 13 on an iPhone 7 sucks (at least my experience does).

I'm finding that Apple absolutely despises customers using iOS 9. They've blocked many of their apps and online store from iOS 9 users. They refuse to send two factor authorization to a device running iOS 9 also. Most of their website doesn't work on iOS 9.3.5 safari. They want iOS 9 people to have a miserable experience so hopefully they'll upgrade (and not like the upgrade) and eventually buy a new $$shiny bug riddled iPhone running a beta buggy new version of iOS.

good points allaround. Thanks !

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm not experiencing that at all. I still get 2FA and I can still use the store. Can't say anything about the website or Safari though as I do not frequent apple.com nor do I use Safari (I hate Webkit on every platform it runs on).

I have a 6s+ on iOS 9.0.2. It was my primary phone up until April. I know Apple is preventing activation of the 6s+ on iOS 9 though and that sometimes things go weird and you can reboot only to be faced with the activation screen and no way to activate except by upgrading.

My 6s+ is jailbroken so I've renamed the app that does this just in case that ever happens to me (hopefully not).

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver

I am still using iOS 9.3.5 on my 4S and recently recieved a notification of an new update iOS 9.3.6 available September 2019 - i have not pulled the trigger on the "update" because the 4S runs fine except for iMessage which will not forward to my other iOS and apple devices (it used to work :mad: ) I did not notice the 2 step verification issue - thx will check that out !- and it does seem that some of the other iCloud services do not work on the 4S

I have varying iOS devices kept on different OS’s just because I like having the ability to play certain games or for checking websites compatibility. I am aware there may be a bug with certain older iPhones in regards to gps and system time. I have an iPhone 5 I have kept on iOS 9.3.3 and it still runs quite well.

-I also realize I could always update later if if needed- can’t go back though

I keep my 4S for some old apps that would not move forward past iOS 9 too ?

I think the above mentioned update - iOS 9.3.6 - is specifically about the GPS and system time issues

I share your concerns - since apple updates are a one way ticket on iOS devices :confused:

Last edited:

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
I am still using iOS 9.3.5 on my 4S and recently recieved a notification of an new update iOS 9.3.6 available September 2019 - i have not pulled the trigger on the "update" because the 4S runs fine except for iMessage which will not forward to my other iOS and apple devices (it used to work :mad: ) I did not notice the 2 step verification issue - thx will check that out !- and it does seem that some of the other iCloud services do not work on the 4S

I keep my 4S for some old apps that would not move forward past iOS 9 too ?

I think the above mentioned update - iOS 9.3.6 - is specifically about the GPS and system time issues

I share your concerns - since apple updates are a one ticket on iOS devices :confused:

Yep! I sure do like having older devices as a just in case I need/want that app that no longer runs on current software. Anyway, I think I will just stay on 9.3.3 until I have a situation where I MUST upgrade...if ever.

freakomac

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
7 year old iPhone 5 on 10.3.4. No real difference in performance between iOS 9 and 10. iOS 8 was the last os that felt smooth and fast. It will survive for basic use like playing media and WhatsApp, Maps and Youtube. I had the battery replaced under warranty 5 years ago, thats still a long time though and it has dropped to ~70% capacity. Not my daily driver anymore but its nice to have something that still works and has aged very well. Abused it very bad the 5 years it was my main phone, pretty incredible in terms of longevity.

Reactions: JSENNY25
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.