Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TitusVorenus

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
I have an elderly relative that lives overseas and I want to get them an older Iphone so they can keep in touch via whatsapp/photos/etc.

Someone recommended an iphone 5, as it was the last one steve jobs had a hand in designing. I'm not too particular, I just want something that's simple and will work for them to see the kids and send messages, they are currently using a flip phone so anything will be a major step up in ability. I'd also like to maximize simplicity and reliability.

Any opinions? Would the Iphone 5 be the right choice, or should I look newer?

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Based on your guidelines I'd try and get an iPhone 6s. The iPhone 5 is great (I have one) but the last version of iOS it can run is iOS 10.3.3. It's not 64-bit either.

No idea where WhatsApp is as far as system requirements but if they still support iOS 10 I can't imagine it will be for much longer.

The 6s will get you iOS 13 at least. That's good for a few years yet.

TitusVorenus

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
I'm looking at open boxes phones on ebay, looks like I can get a 32gb 6s for a bit under $200, and maybe $50 less for the 5s. I am surprised these are still so expensive. Looks like I will go for the 6s if it's going to be good for a few years. The person I'm giving it to is likely not going to multi-task or use it beyond whatsapp, texting, and calling, but she can't see very well so I'm starting to look at the Plus models.

Reactions: eyoungren

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
I'm looking at open boxes phones on ebay, looks like I can get a 32gb 6s for a bit under $200, and maybe $50 less for the 5s. I am surprised these are still so expensive. Looks like I will go for the 6s if it's going to be good for a few years. The person I'm giving it to is likely not going to multi-task or use it beyond whatsapp, texting, and calling, but she can't see very well so I'm starting to look at the Plus models.
Not sure what carrier will be used, but Verizon will no longer allow phones older than the 6s to be activated on their network. This may be an issue with other carriers as well. I'd also take that into consideration.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
Get atleast the 5s, that one supports iOS 12 and should be good for a couple more years, but i recommend the SE or 6s more to be honest.

yellowdoor

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2019
I’d buy used on swappa or something. Ask around and maybe you can get one free. Apple wouldn’t give any trade in money for my 5s so it’s just sitting around.... I’d also look at non iPhone options in this situation unless you need it....

TitusVorenus

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
The carrier is an overseas carrier, so the phone has to be unlocked. I'd never heard of Swappa before, interesting sight. I bought an open box 6s Plus on ebay, model:

A1634 (CDMA + GSM)
I've got a week to test it before giving it to my relative, so hopefully i can shake everything out prior to then.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
As I get into my 70's hand strength and phone size / weight are more if an issue - why I went from 6s Plus to iPhone X.

TitusVorenus

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
As I get into my 70's hand strength and phone size / weight are more if an issue - why I went from 6s Plus to iPhone X.
This person only just turned 60, but has vision complications, which is why I went Plus.

At least 6s with new battery.

I think this is a return as the exterior is in mint condition. Do you suspect the batter is bad/old? It's not a used model, it's being sold as new/open box.

FlippyGonnaSnap

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2019
I’d say a 6s. The bigger screen could also be a big help when it comes to typing and is also obviously better when when it comes to app support.

My mom who whist is still only in her mid 50’s but very far from being tech savvy upgraded to one from a 5S and loves it, has made a big difference for her.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.