Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dumbcreep

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2013
Just noticed something with this issue

If you change your SMS tone, the new alert works,
but if you change it back to what you had, it does not, until a reboot.

Anyone else have that same problem?

Maybe this can help track down the software issue.

cltcop

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2013
Same here. There always seems to be a "glitch" of some sort going on with Apple products. My texts do the same thing. Shouldn't have to reboot for everything all of the time. Don't think it's got anything to do with BlueTooth, as mine is never turned on. I usually clear the conversation and start over. Until next time, when I repeat it.

Hi there,

I had the same problem, my phone would only vibrate and not make any sound on things like typing a message, and when I got a call or a text.

The strange thing is that is I switched the phone off then on again it would all work ok, I noticed this on Friday and over the weekend, I called Apple Support who did not have a clue about what to do, strange that it has been fine yesterday and today.

Its not just you, if you look at other forums on both here and the apple communities pages others are having the same issue.

Hope that helps.

patbell

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2012
I have been having the same issue...my text tones don't sound until I reboot my phone, then disappear again later. I just turned off my bluetooth & the tone played!
I hope they fix this...I need both my tones & blue tooth! Come on Apple!

Mplatt2

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2013
Here's what I have learned. In iOS 6, if you have message screen open, and you send orvrry to a message, and do not close the app , message alert is silent. Even in lock screen, if message app is open, no alerts . Not cool, Apple.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Here's what I have learned. In iOS 6, if you have message screen open, and you send orvrry to a message, and do not close the app , message alert is silent. Even in lock screen, if message app is open, no alerts . Not cool, Apple.

^^^THIS^^^

This is the only problem I have had.

Farateach

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2013
Your "do not disturb" setting is probably on. Go to "settings" and turn it off. (You'll know it's on bc you'll see a crescent moon at the top of your screen near the time.)

aimee.elizabeth

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2012
Your "do not disturb" setting is probably on. Go to "settings" and turn it off. (You'll know it's on bc you'll see a crescent moon at the top of your screen near the time.)

Lol. The fact that 20 or so people have the same problem and are posting on this thread probably indicates that it's not a simple user error such as having DND on.

Anyways, at first I thought this was an ios 7 bug but then I found this thread. My problem occurs when the phone is on. I can be texting someone and then switch to another app, but when they reply, there would be no banner or vibration alert like it's supposed to happen. I would have to check the app manually or look at the icon which would have a badge on it to realize that someone had replied.

ssurell

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2013
I am experiencing the same problem. I am not receiving notifications for texts when my screen is in locked mode/ black/ sleep. I can be in the middle of a back and forth conversation and if it takes the person a few minutes to respond and the screen goes dark then I do not get any type of notification that they've responded to me. I have to keep hitting the home button to check for a response. Often times I will not hear anything for a while and I will happen to check my phone and see I have missed numerous texts from people and no alerts ever went off. I do keep the volume off at work most of the time but I have it set to vibrate and for a banner to pop up... Nothing. I tried switching it to the full on message to pop up and that did not help either. It doesn't matter whether my sound is on or off, I do not receive notification if my screen is dark. If I am reading an email or playing a game or surfing the web then I receive a notification... So basically I have to constantly keep my phone in use with the screen lit to receive notifications or I have to be one of those people who just checks their phone all the time. Neither is a good option. For as expensive of a product as these phones are they should not have glitches like this. I have discussed this issue with Apple support and their answer for most things is to do a restore. Well I do not want to lose everything and build my phone from scratch again. If they cannot successfully create software updates that do not create glitches with their existing software then they need better geniuses in their think tank. I almost feel like I cannot do anymore updates because each time I do something else goes wrong with this phone. I am supposed to go meet with the "geniuses" in the morning to resolve this issue. I will post any earth shattering resolutions if any are discovered.
Oh yeah, another thing I find odd, while on with support they asked me to do a reset and when I tried to a screen asking me to enter my passcode came up I entered the pass code I use everytime I use my phone and it said 7 failed attempts. I tried it once and it was the correct code. Apparently there is a separate reset code and not even apple can tell me what mine is or how to bypass or reset this. I never created any other code and I have always used the same passcode for my phone. Bizarre. They really need to get on top of things and work out all the glitches.

SOLUTION:
I simply RESTARTED my iPhone 5. That did the trick!! I am now able to receive all my text and different message alerts in real time. I hope this works for all that have been experiencing the same problem. Good luck!

troll236

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2013
Maybe I figured it out

I came across this thread while trying to figure out why my wife's Iphone 5 was doing the same thing. While checking the settings I found that her "do not disturb" setting was on. This setting will not wake up the phone in lock mode when you receive a text message. I turned that setting off and now it works like it should. I hope that helps.

bradmullins007

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2011
Thank you Farateach! An annoying problem easily sorted.

Maybe you've not read the thread...I'll summarize.
"Most of us know about DND, silent switch, and reboots etc. We know the reboots work because it closes the active text thread. You can get the same result by just pressing the home button to close the messages app We are having problems when we leave our conversation open."
Thanks.

Toolmaker85

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2013
Text Tone

Hard resetting got my "Text Tone" to work again.......for only 2-days. Its a pain to do the rest. I turned off my bluetooth as someone suggested and that worked. I turned my BT back on and my text tones still work. At least it is an easier fix than a hard rest.

1visitor1

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2013
Try the **do not disturb**...under settings!!!

This worked for me.
Pretty self-explanatory from there...

Darenatkins

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2014
Hi I've had the same problem and the phone was on DO NOT DISTURB SO GO INTO SETTING DO NOT DISTURB and switch off trust me it was a pain in the butt

----------

Just noticed something with this issue

If you change your SMS tone, the new alert works,
but if you change it back to what you had, it does not, until a reboot.

Anyone else have that same problem?

Maybe this can help track down the software issue.

Turn off DO NOT DISTURB

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi I've had the same problem and the phone was on DO NOT DISTURB SO GO INTO SETTING DO NOT DISTURB and switch off trust me it was a pain in the butt

----------

Turn off DO NOT DISTURB
Based on the thread, seems like that it's not really connected to that (and Do Not Disturb has already been brought up and addressed before as well).

I Phone User

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2014
I Phone Tones not always working

I had the same problem for several days. It was working ever since I bought the phone just 3 weeks ago untill the last few days when it was not alerting me with anything, e-mail, texts, reminders.
I finally figured out, with the wife's help and test calls, that I would only get an alert if I had the phone open and in use. It would not work when locked.
You guessed it, I found that the Do Not Disturb button was on (Manual) and closed it. The phone now works perfectly. Go to Settings , Do Not Disturb and make sure your Manual button is off. Don't ask me how it happened. Good Luck!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I had the same problem for several days. It was working ever since I bought the phone just 3 weeks ago untill the last few days when it was not alerting me with anything, e-mail, texts, reminders.
I finally figured out, with the wife's help and test calls, that I would only get an alert if I had the phone open and in use. It would not work when locked.
You guessed it, I found that the Do Not Disturb button was on (Manual) and closed it. The phone now works perfectly. Go to Settings , Do Not Disturb and make sure your Manual button is off. Don't ask me how it happened. Good Luck!
And, once again, based on the thread, seems like that it's not really connected to that (and Do Not Disturb has already been brought up and addressed before as well).

What does posting about the same thing repeatedly, that has been already addressed a number of times, end up accomplishing?

Lillyput

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2014

Despite people who want to make fun and say it could not be that simple. IT WAS for me. Fixed and thank you:)

Nholl

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2014
Do not receive notifications

Just got my wife an iphon5s 4 days ago, and have been having this issue ever sense. Found that if the moon symbol is on, this is the cause! Phone has been put in do not disturb mode

Nc ralreigh 999

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2014
This may sound silly but I had this same problem and I discovered that I had the "do not disturb " setting turned on. If there is a crescent moon symbol in the upper right side of your phone, it indicates that "do not disturb " is activated. Go to "settings" and "do not disturb" to turn it off.

Last edited:

lahch

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2014
iPhone 5 no text tone

I tried all the suggestions -- rebooting (didn't work), turn off Bluetooth (this did work but I need Bluetooth for a hearing aid remote control and when I turn it on again, the tones disappear once more). I sent my new iPhone 5 in to be fixed and have the same problem now with no alerts with my loaner phone -- it must be something in the software????

jaiman70

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2014
same thing happened to me. Try going to settings and turn off the "do not disturb" option. You know its on, if there is a moon symbol on the top right of your screen. Hope this helps.

spoon72

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
singapore
hi guys I also has the same problem with no new incoming message alert tone intermintently ... it look like after the new update then start to surface. I'm using 5s while my wife she is 5 but both of our phone having the same issue now .. btw not on "do not disturb" mode.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I didn't read the entire thread so excuse me if this has been mentioned or debunked. Or if it's already been resolved.

However I don't get alerts when I'm using iMessage and have it open on my Mac. Alert tones are going to the Mac not to the phone but the phone still receives the text.

Just a thought. Good luck.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
I found with my ip4 that the connector was starting to fail whereby the phone would actually think it was docked when it wasn't therefore silencing notifications. I don't recall if it silenced phone calls as well though I must admit!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.