Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rav2113

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
hello everyone, lets see if someone can answer my question... i havent really seen a straight answer online but here it goes.

i have a iphone 5 currently on a plan with verizion.... i plan to travel to costa rica for a 1 year and use my phone over there.. I am aware that my phone is GSM unlocked internationally and that i can use it in costa rica..

thing is that since i am still under a plan... i dont want my line to go to waste so i plan on activating another line and give it to my daughter... i spoke with the verizon rep she told me that if I activated my US line with another phone my phone will be "blacklisted" i am assuming she meant Bad ESN

so my question is.... i dont care if my phone cant be activated in verizion anymore.... will it still work on my Costa rica GSM line??

untimately i would just sell it un costa rica and buy my self a new phone when i get back to the US

thanks in advance

anaqvi786

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2013
At iOS planet
hello everyone, lets see if someone can answer my question... i havent really seen a straight answer online but here it goes.

i have a iphone 5 currently on a plan with verizion.... i plan to travel to costa rica for a 1 year and use my phone over there.. I am aware that my phone is GSM unlocked internationally and that i can use it in costa rica..

thing is that since i am still under a plan... i dont want my line to go to waste so i plan on activating another line and give it to my daughter... i spoke with the verizon rep she told me that if I activated my US line with another phone my phone will be "blacklisted" i am assuming she meant Bad ESN

so my question is.... i dont care if my phone cant be activated in verizion anymore.... will it still work on my Costa rica GSM line??

untimately i would just sell it un costa rica and buy my self a new phone when i get back to the US

thanks in advance

I know exactly what you mean, so I will try to answer your question.

First, if your iPhone cannot be blacklisted (bad esn) just if a new phone is on the account. You can even ask the rep to clarify. So that is a plus

As for you using it in coasta rica, it definitely will work. Even if you have a bad esn, it should work internationally. And since your phone is GSM unlocked (even works with AT&T), it should work with any carrier that supports the gsm bands that the iPhone supports. Just make sure you get prepaid ;)

I hope this answers your question.

rav2113

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
thanks for the reply!!! ya... i called verizon they said that no problem.... stupid customer service never knows anything i was transfered 4 times to get a right answer.... lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.