Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sharasuke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2016
(not another generic 'help my wifi is slow' post)

Hello,

Recently I started having strange issues with my iphone 5 (yes it's old) and wifi.
I've noticed that it was superslow so I've installed the speedtest (ookla) app. This thing says that the average download speed is 0,50 Mbps (yes, bits). Sometimes my iphone has a good period for 1 minute or something when the download speed is actually 30Mbps. And that's about the normal speed for my wifi and the positioning of the wireless router and the iphone.

I've had issues with wifi before but then it usually ment to restart phone and then all was well (happened like 2 times in 5 months or something).
On the rest of my wireless devices all is working just fine and wired as well. So it's not my internet connection and not my wireless signal.

And now comes the non generic part I hope.

Lately I'm having other issues as well, like the power button seems very insensitive and sometimes doesn't even work. Sometimes it works instantly sometimes i'm pressing it 5 times to just try to lock the iphone. Sometimes if I hold it the 'press' signal gets interrupted and it seems like I pressed it 2 times.

Another issue is that when it's in the pocket of my pants and some pressure gets applied, it loses contact with my SIM card. And then an eject and simple pushing the sim back in resolves it.

So what made me write this post today is that it seems that I cannot seem to find 2.4GHz networks anymore. Normally there are like 4 or 5 in my area but now only one 5GHz network shows up. (wifi speed seems fine as well via 5Ghz the times I tried, it's definitely much more stable then 2.4GHz)
At work there are like 10 networks and only 1 business' network showed up (I don not know if that was 5GHz).

And now this ios 10.3.3 is apparantly eating up my battery as well xD

Sooo, anyone has experienced something like this as well? Anyone knows any probable causes?
Or is my iphone 5 just coming to it's end? =D

I think it's the latter. And that would be a damn shame because I was looking to replace it with this new special iphone that's coming out after a couple of months. I hoped that my 5 would last till then =D

And something I should mention as well is that the phone sometimes hit the ground (woops). But my screen was never cracked or an edge broken or something so the falls were not that high up.

UPDATE 1:
The problem seems to be related to using bluetooth for my Apple Watch.
As soon as I disable bluetooth AND wifi, and then enable only Wifi the problem is solved. But as I then turn on bluetooth again the problem is back.

UPDATE 2:
Now I cannot connect to a wifi with bluetooth disabled anymore xD.
I think my device is busted lol :D

Last edited:

Superspeed500

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2013
I do not have wi-fi issues, but I do have issues with the responsiveness of the sleep button. Seems to be caused by some software bug on my phone.

Have you tried to reset the network settings on the phone? Maybe that can fix your problem. You will have to re-enter all wi-fi passwords for the networks you use if you reset.

Sharasuke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2016
Yes, I have tried that 2 or 3 times. Unfortunately it didn't work :(
I have also tried numerous things that the strangely generic "iphone wifi slow" websites adviced (resetting network settings, force restart iphone, restore iphone, disable location based on wifi, ...)

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
With the age of the device, it's likely that your power button, or more specifically the sensor below the button, is beginning to fail. Have you tried changing the channel for your 2.4 gHz wi-fi band? It could be some funky interference where you phone isn't getting a good stream. If you don't know how to do this, there are plenty of good google resources depending on your router make and model.

Sharasuke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2016
Yeah, I thought that was the case with the button. That's actually the least of my problems as I don't consider it that bad.

The wifi is my main concern.
And I think I narrowed it down.

My wifi is fine if I disable bluetooth and wifi and then enable wifi without bluetooth. Then the speedtest give consistent high speed results. As soon as I turn on bluetooth and it made connection with my apple watch after about 20 seconds or so the wifi is broken again.

For this particular problem I found an apple community support thread where some people are saying to replace the antenna bands (is that valid?) Someone also said to backup iphone to itunes, do a factory restore and then restore the backup.
I did that and all was well until I paired the apple watch.

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
The suggestion to replace the bands is probably correct. Given what you have described, I agree. The good news is that it won’t be difficult on that device. I have always had great luck with parts and instructions from ifixit.com.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.