Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Right now, I have an iPhone 4 running iOS 7. It's pretty dang slow. There are some apps that I technically can download and use, but in practice are so slow as to be unusable (Snapchat, for instance).

I'd like to upgrade to a 5, but I've read that on iOS 9 they can be slow, too. But would it at least be faster than my iPhone 4?

I've been digging through speed tests and everything seems to be 4 vs 4s or 4s vs 5 or else 4 vs 5 both on iOS 7. The few direct comparisons I've found have only shown time to power on or a benchmark app, nothing that shows how much they lag due to their OS. I'm guessing any iPhone 5 I buy will have iOS 9 installed on it, slower than 8 or not, so can anyone tell me how they compare?

It'd be nice to at least be able to run apps that require iOS 8 or higher (which is a lot of them these days), but if it's not going to be any faster then I might wait until I can afford a 5s for an extra $100.

BenPB

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2016
Short answer? I had no complaints on iOS 9. Even iOS 10 has been pretty good.

Long answer? I had a Note 4 and started craving something smaller and more elegant, so I was very tempted by the SE this spring but was worried I wouldn't be able to adapt to a screen so much smaller, plus wanted to wait for the 7 just incase it wow'd me (not really). I decided to pick up a used 5c as a low risk way to see if I could make it work and was really impressed with it's performance which was on par with or exceeding my Note 4. I would be lying if I said it was zippy fast, but it is very usable. Siri can take a second to load, but otherwise it feels fast enough. I have been debating switching carriers and upgrading to the SE, but really don't feel the need.

I have been running iOS10 beta since June and even that has been good, improving with every release.

Unless you are dead set on a 5, I would look into the 5c. It is a wonderful and highly underrated phone IMHO, has a slightly larger battery than the 5 and from my shopping was usually less expensive. I was able to get a flawless 32 GB 5C for $100.

Reactions: porcupine8

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Right now, I have an iPhone 4 running iOS 7. It's pretty dang slow. There are some apps that I technically can download and use, but in practice are so slow as to be unusable (Snapchat, for instance).

I'd like to upgrade to a 5, but I've read that on iOS 9 they can be slow, too. But would it at least be faster than my iPhone 4?

I've been digging through speed tests and everything seems to be 4 vs 4s or 4s vs 5 or else 4 vs 5 both on iOS 7. The few direct comparisons I've found have only shown time to power on or a benchmark app, nothing that shows how much they lag due to their OS. I'm guessing any iPhone 5 I buy will have iOS 9 installed on it, slower than 8 or not, so can anyone tell me how they compare?

It'd be nice to at least be able to run apps that require iOS 8 or higher (which is a lot of them these days), but if it's not going to be any faster then I might wait until I can afford a 5s for an extra $100.

There is no comparison between the (single core) iPhone 4 and (dual core) iPhone 5 or later processor wise. So even if it is "slow" it won't quite be the same as an iPhone 4. Additionally, the iPhone 5 can run both iOS 9 and iOS 10.

If you can get a 5s or newer though you probably should because it will probably be supported for a while longer and you'll be able to use the 64-bit exclusive features.

Reactions: porcupine8

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Thanks for the responses! I had a feeling maybe the people saying it was "slow" were not comparing it to the speed of a 4. I mean, just to get into the settings and turn Location Services on and off (which I do regularly, since leaving it on sucks the battery dry) there can often be lag of a couple of seconds between tapping and the screen changing. Anything better than that will feel pretty damn zippy to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.