Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bocaa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2016
Hi, i have a problem with my iPhone 5c. I tried to update and restore it via iTunes, but when it come to veryfing softvare stops and on the computer screen shows Unkown error (50). Do somebody knows how can I fix that? Thanks

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
is it giving you the error during the backup phase or while its downloading the firmware?

if its during the backup then you can cancel the backup phase depending on if you really need that backup. if its the download phase then you may have to get the ispw file online and manually install it.

Bocaa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2016
I can't use my phone now because on the display is only the iTunes icon, nothing more. And my power button is crashed, so I can not put in i DFU.

dennysanders

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2015
power device all the way off, hold the home button and then plug in the cord that should already be plugged into your computer, do not let go of the home button until you see that iTunes logo on your phone again. iTunes needs to be opened on the computer before you do that but you should get a popup on the computer screen asking you if you want to update or restore. select restore.

Reactions: Bocaa

Bocaa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2016
Isn't the phone already off now? when I put it on charger it shows itunes icon and usb cable on screen. Are you shure that will help? I tried everything from internet and it stops same like the first time.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
when it come to veryfing softvare stops and on the computer screen shows Unkown error (50).

Error 50 is sometimes a bad download. You might want to find the .ipsw file (usually in Library/iTunes/*) and move it somewhere else to force iTunes to download a new copy. No guarantees, but it is worth a try.

If the restore actually completes and you get Error 50 after that, it usually means that iTunes is having trouble talking to Apple, so you should make sure you have a good network connection.

A.

Last edited:

Bocaa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2016
Error 50 is sometimes a bad download. You might want to find the .ipsw file (usually in Library/iTunes/*) and move it somewhere else to force iTunes to download a new copy. No guarantees, but it is worth a try.

A.
Yes, but why, what is the reason? Bad internet connection, usb cable, or something else?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Yes, but why, what is the reason? Bad internet connection, usb cable, or something else?
There was just an error in downloading and the checksum don't match so it won't use it.

Bocaa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2016
i tried everything now, but the same thing is happening. I have moved the file and it downloads a new one but during the download i 've heard few times a sound like when you pop out and pop in a usb cable/stick. And I tried with two diffrent cables, same story.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 112

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
i tried everything now, but the same thing is happening. I have moved the file and it downloads a new one but during the download i 've heard few times a sound like when you pop out and pop in a usb cable/stick. And I tried with two diffrent cables, same story.
Download the actual ipsw file online for your phone. Google will help you locate the file. Then manually install it.

Bocaa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2016
Download the actual ipsw file online for your phone. Google will help you locate the file. Then manually install it.
To dowload it from internet to computer, not via iTunes? And I don't know how to install it manually, can you explain me?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
once the device is detected in iTunes. Press and hold Alt key (on Mac) or hold the Shift key (on Windows) and then hit the Restore button in iTunes.

Bocaa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2016
Okay, i'll try that later. But can you say me why the phone pops in and out few times during the download, the connection and cable are good. I think because of that it can't be done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.