Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Maybe I am misunderstanding something, but that happened to my iPhone 5 about 18months ago. I just replaced the battery with a cheap one off Amazon and it is still working to this day (although I now I have an iPhone X). So unless it is leaking over the internals or something, I would just get another cheap battery for it, then sell it and get a SE or something.
His problem is the battery swelled so it probably damaged the chassis of the phone when swelled.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I think it’s pretty amazing that they still provide even out-of-warranty service for a phone from 2013.
Honestly, I think Apple brings this upon themselves. They build a device that has a major consumable part that is not user replaceable. They should, and do, service a 4 year old phone. Also, keep in mind that while the 5s was first released in 2013, they were sold as new devices for several years after the intro.

Reactions: Patcell

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
It [the battery] was not free.
I paid $79 in March 2017 for a battery. Now I have to pay $79 again 9 months later for another battery (and rest of phone too).
$158 in 9 months.

You know, I was going to agree with everyone else and say you should just pay the $79. But when you put it this way, I agree with you. You needed a new battery for your phone and you paid for a new battery. The fact that Apple damaged your original phone when they attempted to replace the battery is not your fault.

I think you need to elevate your issue. The phone should have had a new battery and that battery should have lasted longer than nine months.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
This is like asking “Where’s my inheritance from my great great grandfather?”

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
Honestly, I think Apple brings this upon themselves. They build a device that has a major consumable part that is not user replaceable. They should, and do, service a 4 year old phone. Also, keep in mind that while the 5s was first released in 2013, they were sold as new devices for several years after the intro.
Very good point! I wasn’t thinking they sell previous year’s model as new for a while.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
His problem is the battery swelled so it probably damaged the chassis of the phone when swelled.
Possible, but I would personally take the phone apart myself to confirm. My one swelled by a similar amount, but went back together without issue. Plus the fact that most of my screen had already come away from the case made it a lot easier to take apart.

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Northern British Columbia
Something I am missing here?

I am effectively getting a new battery, but that instills replacing the entire phone.

It was not a cracked screen or other damage caused by me.

Damage isn't relevant. All OOW repairs where the device is replaced cost the same, regardless of the reason. You have no warranty on this device and Apple is offering to replace the entire device at the lower rate, when they could only offer the full OOW rate since there appears to be damage beyond the battery due to its expansion.

You know, I was going to agree with everyone else and say you should just pay the $79. But when you put it this way, I agree with you. You needed a new battery for your phone and you paid for a new battery. The fact that Apple damaged your original phone when they attempted to replace the battery is not your fault.

I think you need to elevate your issue. The phone should have had a new battery and that battery should have lasted longer than nine months.

They did give OP a new battery (and essentially replaced every other part). Regardless of whether they just replaced the battery or the whole device, it only had a 90 day warranty that has elapsed. Apple is in no way obligated to perform repairs for free after the warranty ends.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Honestly, I think Apple brings this upon themselves. They build a device that has a major consumable part that is not user replaceable. They should, and do, service a 4 year old phone.

Totally agree with that, but in the mindless rush for fashion over longevity Apple makes life of iPhone shorter.

I replaced 2 iPhone 4 batteries, very easy despite the tiny screws and size and removed the back plate.
iPhone 5s removes front, and is much easier to damage either TouchID cable, LCD cable, or touch screen cable (not mention internals).

Not only did I have to replace 2 batteries, but the destruction of 1 perfectly functioning iPhone 5s (this second one probably had damage, as it kept crashing when trying to back up.)
[doublepost=1516042192][/doublepost]
They did give OP a new battery (and essentially replaced every other part). Regardless of whether they just replaced the battery or the whole device, it only had a 90 day warranty that has elapsed. Apple is in no way obligated to perform repairs for free after the warranty ends.

My beef is not the expired warranty, but a functionally brand new iPhone (regardless of when made) that had a battery swell (some could say explode, but contained) in 9 months.
Read next reply.
[doublepost=1516042449][/doublepost]

I am pretty sure the 90 day warranty is established policy industry wide, and would need a lot of time to argue the point.
And they could argue maybe it was something I did that caused it to happen.

Likely write Apple CS a letter, but not expect any refund or like.
[doublepost=1516042573][/doublepost]
Maybe I am misunderstanding something, but that happened to my iPhone 5 about 18months ago. I just replaced the battery with a cheap one off Amazon and it is still working to this day (although I now I have an iPhone X). So unless it is leaking over the internals or something, I would just get another cheap battery for it, then sell it and get a SE or something.

this iP5s could not back up, kept crashing every time I tried to sync with it to Mac.

Anyway, Sunday had to go to a farther Apple store (closer did not have), paid the $85, and got a new iPhone5s
Ironically the trade in for an 5s is, yes, about $80.
And yes, looked at SE, but it was full price, no discount for the trouble with the 5s (expected). Just the way this world works.

Last edited:

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
The phone should have had a new battery and that battery should have lasted longer than nine months.

1) it did get a new battery.

2) should last longer than nine months? Is that an IEEE standard or something? Didn’t know there were strict requirements for battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.