Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is it possible that iphone 5s firmware can be installed on iphone 6s?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Not

Votes: 57 98.3%

• Total voters

tasirm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2016
Kashmir
I had a working iphone 6s 16 and i went to update it on Apple Service centre and they updated it. But i dont know what they did to it. It is an iphone 6s from outside but the firmware is of iphone 5s and also No functions of 6s are working not even 3d touch. Now they are asking for the Bill of the phone so they could replace it (maybe) ??
Is it possible??
What should i do??

Last edited by a moderator:

tasirm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2016
Kashmir
Your phone is just proof that something isn't working, not that you have 5s firmware installed on a 6s.

Why do you even suspect that anyway?
because it shows me Iphone 5s when i cooect to itunes... and also whe i login my apple id on my iphone, when that login notifiation comes to my email. that also shows "you have logged your Apple ID on iphone 5s"

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
because it shows me Iphone 5s when i cooect to itunes... and also whe i login my apple id on my iphone, when that login notifiation comes to my email. that also shows "you have logged your Apple ID on iphone 5s"

That's just the name of your phone. I can name my phone Moto Razor :)
Sounds like you restored using an older devices backup file. Using a 5S iphone backup on your iphone 6S. That's where your confusion is.
You can use another devices backup file, you cannot use another devices firmware .ipsw file.
So restore with itunes and setup the phone as new like we told you above and you didnt do.
When its done restoring and it asks you if you want to restore from backup do not select the 5S backup again.

Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

I will third this and say you phone will be named with the same device name that was backed up.

Just change the name back
Settings > General > About

Reactions: Applejuiced

tasirm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2016
Kashmir
I have enough knowledge about phones, So i know if my phone was just named iphone 5s..
There are other things as well
3D touch doesnt work or show in settings. When i see details about my phone in "Antutu" app it shows the details of iphone 5s.
I also took the phone to apple service centre to update.. they updated it to latest version (before update it was working fine as an iphone 6s should) but after updating its IMEI no. Changed and shows iphone 5s .
And also when i look up the new imei, it says "the imei no. Has been replaced by Apple.
I unfortunately lost my bill of the phone otherwise Apple Service Centre Would have replaced the phone :( .. what should i do now?

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I have enough knowledge about phones, So i know if my phone was just named iphone 5s..
3D touch doesnt work or show in settings. When i see details about my phone in "Antutu" app it shows the details of iphone 5s.
I also took the phone to apple service centre to update.. they updated it to latest version (before update it was working fine as an iphone 6s should) but after updating its IMEI no. Changed and shows iphone 5s .
And also when i look up the new imei, it says "the imei no. Has been replaced by Apple.
I unfortunately lost my bill of the phone otherwise Apple Service Centre Would have replaced the phone :( .. what should i do now?

You should take a screen shot but blur out your IMEI. Go under settings > general > about, then screenshot the model number.

I'm just curious what it'll show there.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sounds like there might be something wrong with the device and/or the installation, but it isn't something where something for a 5s was loaded on a phone that isn't a 5s.

tasirm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2016
Kashmir
There it is screenshot with model no. @Septembersrain
[doublepost=1483985031][/doublepost]
Sounds like there might be something wrong with the device and/or the installation, but it isn't something where something for a 5s was loaded on a phone that isn't a 5s.
Im also confused because its impossible to install firmware of 5s into 6s. But when i look at my phone i dont trust these chinese engineers. They can do anything.. maybe!!

Attachments

• IMG_0253.PNG
    IMG_0253.PNG
    71.2 KB · Views: 466

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Im also confused because its impossible to install firmware of 5s into 6s. But when i look at my phone i dont trust these chinese engineers. They can do anything.. maybe!!
Sorry, but what Chinese engineers?

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013

That's showing a gold Sprint iPhone 5s. Weird you mentioned your IMEI number as being different. The Sprint models have an ESN, no IMEI right? I know they're moving to MEID from that but I don't know if they already had on the 5s.

This seems really weird.

tasirm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2016
Kashmir
Sorry, but what Chinese engineers?
I was just being sarcastic as iphones are assembled in china.

That's showing a gold Sprint iPhone 5s. Weird you mentioned your IMEI number as being different. The Sprint models have an ESN, no IMEI right? I know they're moving to MEID from that but I don't know if they already had on the 5s.

This seems really weird.
But im not a sprint user infact im not from america. Im from Kashmir n here we dont use iphones on contract. So i really dont have any knowledge about anything u said
[doublepost=1484028480][/doublepost]
Maybe it's an iPhone 6.
If it was iphone 6!! Then it would show iphone 6 in itunes or benchmarking apps. And the back of the phone clearly has iphone written on it. And prior to update it was working fine as an iphone 6s should.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

Sounds like the service center swapped out your phone.

I also find it strange that the screenshot you posted is the resolution of an iPhone 5/5s/SE. If you had taken a screenshot of an iPhone 6/6s/7, the resolution would be different.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Sounds like the service center swapped out your phone.

I also find it strange that the screenshot you posted is the resolution of an iPhone 5/5s/SE. If you had taken a screenshot of an iPhone 6/6s/7, the resolution would be different.

Wouldn't you notice the body difference? This whole thing seems really fishy somehow. Or is it just me?

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
If you know so much about phones, why did you bring it to an Apple service center to install an update?
I also took the phone to apple service centre to update..

Can you take a picture of the outside of the phone and post it here as well?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.