Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gandek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2017
Picked up a iPhone 5S for a old iPhone collection and it came with 10.2. Do you guys know if it has any special value like some older iPhones do with older iOS versions or should I just update it to 12?

Runs pretty fast on 10.2 and I guess I don’t really need any apps on it so I wouldn’t mind keeping it on this version.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I played the “never update the OS” for 6 years (iPhone 6 running iOS 9 in 2021) and I’ll NEVER do that again.
Yes I’ll stay 9 months behind and only upgrade to the next version of iOS sometime in early summer - but clinging on to an old unsupported OS is a loser. You can take my word for it cuz I did it too.
Along with fixing countless security bugs on newer versions of iOS, Safari gets updated too. Old versions of Safari don’t play well on the web.

There’s nothing better in iOS 10 than iOS 12.

Gandek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2017
I played the “never update the OS” for 6 years (iPhone 6 running iOS 9 in 2021) and I’ll NEVER do that again.
Yes I’ll stay 9 months behind and only upgrade to the next version of iOS sometime in early summer - but clinging on to an old unsupported OS is a loser. You can take my word for it cuz I did it too.
Along with fixing countless security bugs on newer versions of iOS, Safari gets updated too. Old versions of Safari don’t play well on the web.

There’s nothing better in iOS 10 than iOS 12.
It’s more of a nostalgic thing I only use safari for YouTube on all these old devices

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
iOS 10.2 has the un-fixed secret battery throttling implementation that throttles an phone with a tired battery until a new battery is installed

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
If it was a device you were using every day, then I would say upgrade it. But since it’s part of an old phone collection, then it seems to me that leaving a vintage OS on a vintage phone makes sense.

Reactions: Gandek and N69AP

Gandek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2017
Seems like the best bet. Performance isn’t bad either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.