Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
My iPhone 5s shuts down at 25%. (Not exactly 25%.. like sometimes 24, +/- ... at least I haven't noticed it being an exact hit each time).

It's the original battery so it dying isn't a surprise, but I'd like to get it to be metered right, so if it's actually empty at 25%, that should be 0.

Can anyone suggest ways to drain it for sure/calibrate/whatver?

(It's not a huge deal, as I use it just as a bedside device these days, but I'd like it to be working right.)

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
If the battery is done the calibration is probably borked too. You can purchase a new battery at a reasonable price and replacing it is pretty easy especially with the videos offered on YouTube.. Then your 5S will show proper percentage and perform the way it used too

Reactions: Fred Zed

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Erratic battery percentage is one of those things that comes with an old battery. My old phone used to turn off whenever it had a low battery and low power mode wasn't enabled. It would drop at an accelerated pace as well. It works fine now that the battery was replaced.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Only method available to the end user to -try- to calibrate the battery charge indicator is to run the phone until it shuts itself off by itself, then charge it up completely to 100% + 1 hour, then do that two more times. If it can be calibrated, that process will do it. If not, time for a new battery.

The iPhone 5 battery is very easy to replace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.