Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cycling Asia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
So, I've got an iPhone 6+ that I've been happily using for many years now, without issue. I've also got a series 0 Apple Watch that I have also been happily using for many years now. The OS combination they're currently at is 11.4 and 4.3.1. So, what will happen to my perfectly functional Apple Watch when iOS 12 is released? Well if I follow the advice of Apple and update my iPhone to iOS 12, will my watch, which will not receive the watchOS 5 update suddenly go from perfectly functional to "that's a nice paperweight you have there"? Or will watchOS 4.3.1 continue to be supported in iOS 12?

Personally I see this as a perfect example of planned obsolescence. Here is a device that cost around $500, that has worked without issue for many years suddenly become obsolete due to a decision of Apple to 1. automatically update iOS devices to the latest firmware (yes, automatic with their "install now or try again later" meaning install now, or when you're asleep). So one day soon, there are going to be many people waking up to find their watch is no longer talking to their phone.

Anyway, just thought I'd rant a bit - because in my opinion it sucks that soon Apple are going to be patting themselves on the back because sales of their Apple Watches just went up, and few people will connect the dots and realise that it is Apple that pushed many people from functional series 0 watches to the new Apple watches.

Hmmm.

cobracnvt

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2017
Imagine how the people that bought the 18k Gold Apple Watch Edition feel...

I assume it will still connect to your updated phone, it will just not get any new functionality.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Imagine how the people that bought the 18k Gold Apple Watch Edition feel...

I assume it will still connect to your updated phone, it will just not get any new functionality.

I doubt most 18K Apple Watch owner who can afford a $10,000 Watch would be that disgruntled over the discontinuation. I’m sure some of those 18K models are likely sitting a drawer not being used or they Upgraded to a newer model by now.

Cycling Asia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
Thanks for the responses. Hopefully it my phone updates my watch will continue to work - and if not I will visit Apple and ask them why they decided to say my watch was not good enough any more (perhaps they'll give me a new one, or at least downgrade my phone).

As for those that said the people who bought the 18K watches wouldn't be upset, I think they would be just as upset if Ferrari informed the owners of their 2015 model vehicles will now only drive at a maximum of 30 and none of the standard features will continue to operate, simply because Ferrari (as a company) considered the vehicle too old to continue support - have a nice day.

(I used Ferrari as an item of relative worth. Ferrari is to normal car as 18K Apple Watch is to normal watch)

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
Thanks for the responses. Hopefully it my phone updates my watch will continue to work - and if not I will visit Apple and ask them why they decided to say my watch was not good enough any more (perhaps they'll give me a new one, or at least downgrade my phone).

As for those that said the people who bought the 18K watches wouldn't be upset, I think they would be just as upset if Ferrari informed the owners of their 2015 model vehicles will now only drive at a maximum of 30 and none of the standard features will continue to operate, simply because Ferrari (as a company) considered the vehicle too old to continue support - have a nice day.
And Apple Watch with watchOS 4.3.one should work fine with iOS 12 when it is released.
(I used Ferrari as an item of relative worth. Ferrari is to normal car as 18K Apple Watch is to normal watch)
An Apple Watch series 0 with watchOS 4.3.1 should work fine with iOS 12 when it is released.

Reactions: Cycling Asia

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
I'm on iOS 12 beta iPhone X + S0 Stainless Steel AW, no detrimental changes when you update.

Again, the AW is dependent on iPhone and not the iPhone dependent on the AW. So the iPhone is like the more robust system that can identify and interact accordingly to an accessory.

Therefore, if you do update your Apple Watch but NOT update your iOS, then you're going to run into compatibility issues.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
An Apple Watch series 0 with watchOS 4.3.1 should work fine with iOS 12 when it is released.
This. Your watch will be just as functional the day after you update iOS was it was the day before you update. No need for any tortured analogies.

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
This. Your watch will be just as functional the day after you update iOS was it was the day before you update. No need for any tortured analogies.

I agree 100% with what you said.

No need to repeat what others said.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.