Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter573

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2018
So about 3 months ago i decided to purchase myself a "new" battery replacement for my iphone 6 it was labeled as OEM original so i thought i'd go for it. Replaced it with a kit i had and everything was fine but after a little while it started draining considerably fast.

The reason i replaced it was due to apple making the statement about slowing phones down if the battery was old. It did work, it got faster but it also started to drains really fast. I did a battery life reading with the app and the capacity is at 100% but yeah still drains fast. I've had my phone for about 2 years~

I thought about just going out there to buy a new phone but then again, should i just replace the battery again? If so where do i buy a battery thats reliable and does its job properly. Preferbly a site that ships to Europe.

Thanks in advance :)

cobracnvt

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2017
It's probably worth a call to Apple customer service to find out. I going to guess that Apple wouldn't fix it as they would be on the hook for any issues after the replacement and wouldn't take the risk.

Peter573

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2018
It's probably worth a call to Apple customer service to find out. I going to guess that Apple wouldn't fix it as they would be on the hook for any issues after the replacement and wouldn't take the risk.
I don't actually live near an apple store so i'd have to send the iphone in and wait for god knows how long to get it back. Thats primarily why i decided to replace it myself in the first place :/

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I don't actually live near an apple store so i'd have to send the iphone in and wait for god knows how long to get it back. Thats primarily why i decided to replace it myself in the first place :/

It doesn’t take too long with Apple and you really should have contacted them on the first instance rather than trying to replace with some random parts.

Original OEM batteries are only available via Apple or approved resellers.

At this point Apple will probably not willing to replace your battery either way and even if you don’t tell them when you talk to them, they’ll send it right back to you when they discover that you’ve put in an unapproved part.

Peter573

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2018
It doesn’t take too long with Apple and you really should have contacted them on the first instance rather than trying to replace with some random parts.

Original OEM batteries are only available via Apple or approved resellers.

At this point Apple will probably not willing to replace your battery either way and even if you don’t tell them when you talk to them, they’ll send it right back to you when they discover that you’ve put in an unapproved part.

Ah yeah you're probably right, i figured i'd save 50% of what apple charge and DIY it. Would it be possible to buy it off resellers? and if so, where?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Ah yeah you're probably right, i figured i'd save 50% of what apple charge and DIY it. Would it be possible to buy it off resellers? and if so, where?

The chances are really slim and depends on the country you live in. I think the best option for you at this point is to really just have a chat with Apple support and see what they suggest.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Can’t you get OEM batteries on eBay? I believe a lot were pulled from other iPhones.

People claim a lot on eBay but you never know if you’re being scammed. There’s no official way of getting these batteries.

DavidBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2013
Somewhere In Apple's HQ ;)
People claim a lot on eBay but you never know if you’re being scammed. There’s no official way of getting these batteries.

That’s true but I found this item from a seller with great feedback: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM-Li-ion-1810mAh-Original-Battery-Replacement-For-Apple-iPhone-6-USA/152920026353?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=52974&meid=f601b9d8ba3b4083b68b9ec2006d6cea&pid=100675&rk=1&rkt=15&mehot=pp&sd=152920026353&itm=152920026353&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:fd1ea0fb-7d62-11e8-8170-74dbd1807c64|parentrq:5744a6171640aadc7bf2e414fff4fdf8|iid:1
[doublepost=1530472729][/doublepost]
So about 3 months ago i decided to purchase myself a "new" battery replacement for my iphone 6 it was labeled as OEM original so i thought i'd go for it. Replaced it with a kit i had and everything was fine but after a little while it started draining considerably fast.

The reason i replaced it was due to apple making the statement about slowing phones down if the battery was old. It did work, it got faster but it also started to drains really fast. I did a battery life reading with the app and the capacity is at 100% but yeah still drains fast. I've had my phone for about 2 years~

I thought about just going out there to buy a new phone but then again, should i just replace the battery again? If so where do i buy a battery thats reliable and does its job properly. Preferbly a site that ships to Europe.

Thanks in advance :)

Can you see the battery health by going to the Settings app? If I recall correctly only Apple batteries will report their health in this section.

EDIT: Yes I was correct if the battery isn’t installed properly or is an unknow battery part iOS won’t be able to determine the battery health. (https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht208387)

Attachments

• 841AD645-DACD-4F32-9B38-4775C4F4A9AC.jpeg
    841AD645-DACD-4F32-9B38-4775C4F4A9AC.jpeg
    388.9 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
@DavidBlack - personally I feel the battery specifically is an important part and one which can cause the most damage.

A counterfeit battery can not only perform below expectations but can actually be pretty hazardous in terms of catching fire or even blasting out of the device.

I’m not willing to take that risk for a few quids to be honest.

Peter573

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2018
That’s true but I found this item from a seller with great feedback: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM-Li-ion-1810mAh-Original-Battery-Replacement-For-Apple-iPhone-6-USA/152920026353?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=52974&meid=f601b9d8ba3b4083b68b9ec2006d6cea&pid=100675&rk=1&rkt=15&mehot=pp&sd=152920026353&itm=152920026353&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:fd1ea0fb-7d62-11e8-8170-74dbd1807c64|parentrq:5744a6171640aadc7bf2e414fff4fdf8|iid:1
[doublepost=1530472729][/doublepost]

Can you see the battery health by going to the Settings app? If I recall correctly only Apple batteries will report their health in this section.

EDIT: Yes I was correct if the battery isn’t installed properly or is an unknow battery part iOS won’t be able to determine the battery health. (https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht208387)
The only thing i can see is the battery capacity which currently is at 1751 mAh using battery life app for this. In the settings it says 100% thats all. It still drains unusually fast though.
That particular seller doesn't ship to europe. There ought to be someone else selling that does :)

If Ebay isn't a safe bet where do i then buy it, if at all?

DavidBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2013
The only thing i can see is the battery capacity which currently is at 1751 mAh using battery life app for this. In the settings it says 100% thats all. It still drains unusually fast though.
That particular seller doesn't ship to europe. There ought to be someone else selling that does :)

Then if it shows up in the settings then it’s a genuine Apple battery.

DavidBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2013
@DavidBlack - personally I feel the battery specifically is an important part and one which can cause the most damage.

A counterfeit battery can not only perform below expectations but can actually be pretty hazardous in terms of catching fire or even blasting out of the device.

I’m not willing to take that risk for a few quids to be honest.

Personally I feel the same way but unfortunately, not everyone is able to get their batteries replaced by Apple or an Apple Service Provider. Which is why I think sellers that sell these batteries will always have a market. I just wish more people know the risks involved.

Reactions: akash.nu

cutienoua

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
in the past I use to replace batteries myself. this time I took a regular 7 and 7 plus to the apple store.
for the 7 they broke the screen and I end up with a new battery and new screen.
for 7 plus they said it went into boot-loop so they give me a refurbished phone.
lesson learn, never attempt to do it yourself with these newer phones!

Last edited:
Reactions: badatusernames

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018
don't do it. in the past I use to replace batteries myself. this time I took a regular 7 and 7 plus to the apple store.
for 7 plus they said it went into boot-loop so they give me a refurbished phone.

The newer phones are more risky because of the water resistance; you have to then replace the adhesive around the screen.
[doublepost=1530474884][/doublepost]

If you want to go ahead and replace your battery yourself eBay does have some great options of OEM batteries that were fulled from other iPhones. However, there is more risk involved in this so tread carefully. I would recommend that you do a mail-in if that's available in your location.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-iP...6?hash=item3d50ba0126:g:IGMAAOSwjM5aHAsd#rwid

Peter573

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2018
The newer phones are more risky because of the water resistance; you have to then replace the adhesive around the screen.
[doublepost=1530474884][/doublepost]

If you want to go ahead and replace your battery yourself eBay does have some great options of OEM batteries that were fulled from other iPhones. However, there is more risk involved in this so tread carefully. I would recommend that you do a mail-in if that's available in your location.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-iP...6?hash=item3d50ba0126:g:IGMAAOSwjM5aHAsd#rwid

I already replaced it once and it was fairly easy i just ended up with a bad battery, thanks ill look into it more, just a shame that its like a gamble when puchasing these batteries, i wish there was a reliable source.

Thank you everyone for commenting, it gave me better insight in the matter. Ill look around :)

netdudeuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2012
in the past I use to replace batteries myself. this time I took a regular 7 and 7 plus to the apple store.

Surely the real lesson is to never take your phone into an Apple Store ;)

borgranta

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2018
In case anyone is considering upgrading I found refurbished iPhone 7 for as little as $499 for 32GB from Apple and a 7+ for as little as $599 for 32GB. Also a new iPhone SE is as little as $349. The iPhone 6S is as little as $449 new and the 6S+ is as little $549 new. Additionally the SE and both 6S phones are the last versions of iPhone to still have the headphone jack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.