Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jahall05

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
Hi guys,

I know there are other posts about this, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue over and over? I have had the phone replaced once and the screen on the phone replaced a few times...I would say 3-4 times now. It is an AT&T 6 32GB Space Grey model.

I have heard it is more way common to happen on the Space Grey model than any other color. Do you think Apple would consider replacing the phone under warranty with a Gold or Silver model considering how many times I have had this repaired now?

It doesn't seem to affect camera quality, but it gets worse over time and very quickly once it starts...so I have never let it get so bad that it could mess with the camera quality. I am just sick of driving an hour to get a screen replacement and then this happen again within a few weeks...

sura

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2013
I've had my space grey phone screen replaced twice now, and it needs it again. For me, it takes about two months for the crescent to appear on a new screen.

jahall05

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
Very annoying to say the least.

I sent mine in via mail this time. The representative said he was going to "force replace" the phone meaning they will just send a new phone out since I have had this same issue repaired 3 times now...

My only concern is when I check my service status it says "service in progress"

How does one determine if it is being repaired vs. being replaced?

jahall05

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
Okay...so after getting the run around all day this is what happened...in case anyone wants to know.

I was told initially by a Senior Advisor that he would "force replace" my phone meaning he would instruct the repair center to replace my phone rather than repair it since it has been repaired many times and the camera issue keeps cropping up anyways. I check my repair status and it goes from "diagnosing" to "servicing" so I was confused since it should have been a replacement. I chatted with an advisor and senior advisor who couldn't tell me much...they kept saying it was still in diagnosis even though the status had changed to service. Finally they said they needed to have someone call me, so we scheduled a call. I was on the phone for 51 minutes with a girl who called the repair center to find out what was going on. The repair center told her advisors have no authority on whether a phone gets replaced or repaired, if it is repairable they repair and if not they replace.

So she made note that my original senior advisor was wrong in making a promise of replacement to me if they couldn't actually replace it under his authority. That being said...this was the worst customer service experience I have ever experienced with Apple. I know the camera issue will happen again regardless so I plan to sell the phone and buy something different. Is it safe to give out the serial number of the phone to check out the warranty to a prospective buyer?

jahall05

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
Okay...so I got in touch with an Apple Customer Relations person and he put my worries at ease. He has set up a replacement because the repaired phone I got back was shockingly missing a screw at the bottom of the phone. I was at this point fine if they would have just sent me a new screw to put in, but he wanted me to get the phone replaced with a service unit. I agreed and he also offered to extend my warranty a couple of months if I kept the phone longer than a year...I am waiting for the iPhone 7 before I do anything so I may have it longer than a year based on when I bought it.

He also confirmed a couple of things I was misinformed on. A Sr. Advisor does have the authority to set up what is called a "force" replacement. What that means is if the phone is repairable, but has a history of many repairs or a customer is assertive on receiving a replacement and the Sr. Advisor agrees to this, they can place an order for the repair center to not repair the phone, but to just send a replacement to the customer. My Sr. Advisor failed to set this up properly, which is why the repair center repaired my phone rather than replace it.

If you are ever having major issues and can't seem to get them resolved or you are told one thing and another happens try and contact Customer Relations...just phone in to an advisor and ask to be transferred to a Customer Relations Agent and always be polite, as accurate as possible when explaining the situation, and what you potentially want as a resolution. My guy was extremely apologetic, went over everything that should have happened, and ultimately wanted to make sure my repaired phone was repaired properly...unfortunately I noticed a missing screw because I use the Apple Silicone case and the bottom is left open on it and I noticed this after it was sitting on my desk today and I happened to look and see it.

Thanks Apple :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.