Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aw373

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2017
iPhone 6, 16GB

Updated to iOS 10.3.1 (latest since posting date)

Since about last week, my iPhone has been running out of storage. I suspected it was due to too much "caching" where it tries to store half-downloaded data. I restarted my iPhone and it deleted the cached data as it should, and I ended up with a whole 4-5 GB of free space. This was because I had deleted half the apps to make room for what I realized was just cached data.

Anyways, I also noticed that my text messages began to freeze up. I didn't get notifications for these messages, when I got new messages they didn't jump to the top of the list anymore, the blue circle for new messages disappeared, and more annoyingly, the messages disappeared after several hours. No explanation, just turning off the phone on sleep mode would allow it erase all messages since a certain date (I think it was a week or two ago, I lose all messages since then continuously).

Checked notifications, do not disturb, updated iOS, restarted and rebooted phone, hard reset with iTunes backup, hard reset with iCloud backup, went to Apple store, turned off restrictions, reset phone settings, turned iMessage on/off, turned messages and notifications on/off, changed any and all settings related to messages, cleared Messages from the background apps. Still no fix. Apple store guy said that it was his first time seeing this and that short of a full restore from iTunes or iCloud, the only thing that might fix it is a full restore from factory settings. I wouldn't prefer that but I am thinking about doing it now.

It might be a software thing but I can't figure out what settings this would be located in. I restored from both iCloud and iTunes, still no fix. When I text myself from another phone, I have to search for the text in the list, or if its a new number it will appear at the bottom of the list for some reason. Also, no blue notification circle in the messages app, and this problem applies to both SMS/MMS and iMessages. Seems to be a problem with the messages app itself.

Anybody have an idea aside from a complete restore to factory-new?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.