Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bored 3ngineer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2016
Hi people,

I have designed a flashing led home button modification for the IPhone 6 that flashes to music. Just wanted to find out what everyone thought of the idea?

here's the link for the video

https://youtu.be/G-QFFXzYGls

Last edited:
Reactions: MrJM

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Personally, it would make me anxious. Some may like it, but doubtful Apple would pick it up as a "thing". I guarantee if they did, I'd pass - or disable the "feature".

bored 3ngineer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2016
Yeh, it can also be implemented to be used as a notification LED, which is more preferable.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I like it :) Very cool feature. How does it work with TouchID though? Doesn't it use the stainless steel ring to detect your touch, supposedly? I was thinking if that's the case, wouldn't it be better to light the whole button from behind rather than the ring? Although the lit ring is pretty nifty I admit..

bored 3ngineer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2016
thanks Charadis, it is a very complex modification, it uses a custom made home button and custom built flex ribbon. i see a lot of software modifications on IPhones but not any hardware modifications. So i decided to design something different. btw the button is lit from behind using 2 SMD LEDS.

bored 3ngineer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2016
As it is only a prototype. I would say the touchID does work but there are times where it does play up. I am still looking for a work around to the modified touchID ribbon to correct the issue.

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
Impressive stuff! As a notification led it would be downright killer and for when I'm just chilling out the music feature would be awesome. Only thing I don't like about my 6+, the screen lights up when I get a text but because the screen is so massive everyone anywhere close can read it.

Reactions: bored 3ngineer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.