Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elki64

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2016
Hi, yesterday my iPhone home button started to randomly stop working but Touch ID did, tried a-lot of things to fix and 1 of them was a ludicrous and stupid idea of "pressing the home button and twisting" I was so tired and frustrated of trying to make it work that I gave up and did it. and then the home button COMPLETELY stopped working with Touch ID error and all.

after understanding what a stupid thing I just did, I opened the iPhone up, and horridly found the iPhone home button RIPPED :(.

I KNOW IM STUPID. and this really sucks.

What can I do? I'm out of my warranty, and iv opened the iPhone up. will apple fix it for me?

Second problem:

I restored it ( one of the stupid troubleshoot I tried) and while it did it the software updated to 10.0.2 (beta 4) , after restore it won't let me restore from previous backup, saying the iPhone software is too old for the backup??

please help me I'm so frustrated and angry at myself.... :(

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Did you have iOS 10.1 beta 4 installed before (and that's where the backup is from), vs. having iOS 10.0.2 installed now?

elki64

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2016
yup I was on the beta... is there anything I can do about it?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
yup I was on the beta... is there anything I can do about it?
You'd need to try to install the beta when you are restoring in order to use the backup that you have. Or perhaps wait until iOS 10.1 is released to the public (which might be as soon as sometime next week).

Jal217

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2015
Just install the beta on your phone now, then it will let you use your backup. Also, with the home button, just bring it to an Apple Store. They won't do it for free but they can definitely fix it. I don't see it being too expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.