Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Not the best place to post, I know, but the old boards are dead so I figured I'd have a better chance up here. I have an iPhone 6 on iOS 9 that I never updated (Music app is horrible on newer versions, this was only used as an iPod in the car) but I had to connect it to the network for a brief moment. In doing so, the iOS 12 update notification popped up. It wouldn't even let me download the update OTA, it just told me to use a computer to install the software.

Now I have disconnected it from the network and restarted the phone, but the notification in Settings is still there. I have no idea how to get rid of it, Google has been surprisingly useless on this issue. I just want the notification gone, the update is not installed on the phone so I can't delete it. Running iOS 9.2.1, anyone know how I can hide the update notification?

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
My fix was to mod the Settings icon to remove notification badges, although this was a really roundabout way to do it. First thing I tried was installing the tvOS profile, which failed. It said I was up to date after I did that, but the notification never went away.

This is a bit of a warning then, I'd recommend people with older iOS devices they use as iPods/collector's pieces to not connect them to the network at all if they don't want this issue, as it will require a fix like the one I did. You could probably block the Apple update servers so it can't check, though I didn't think to do that before. Only took about 30 seconds after joining Wi-Fi for it to tell me.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No, it was possible to do this fix without jailbreak, it just makes the icon static so it can't display a badge
Interesting. Trying to recall, was this something possible in earlier iOS versions through some sort of option?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Interesting. Trying to recall, was this something possible in earlier iOS versions through some sort of option?
Earlier iPhones and earlier versions of iOS were able to have the file system accessed in a limited way. I used to use PhoneView. until a jailbreak was available. That's done by connecting the phone to a Mac or PC and then running the app.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Not the best place to post, I know, but the old boards are dead so I figured I'd have a better chance up here. I have an iPhone 6 on iOS 9 that I never updated (Music app is horrible on newer versions, this was only used as an iPod in the car) but I had to connect it to the network for a brief moment. In doing so, the iOS 12 update notification popped up. It wouldn't even let me download the update OTA, it just told me to use a computer to install the software.

Now I have disconnected it from the network and restarted the phone, but the notification in Settings is still there. I have no idea how to get rid of it, Google has been surprisingly useless on this issue. I just want the notification gone, the update is not installed on the phone so I can't delete it. Running iOS 9.2.1, anyone know how I can hide the update notification?
You'd need to jailbreak to get rid of it entirely. There's a few Activator tweaks that can force notification bubbles to go away.

BTW, I was with you on iOS 9 until a couple of weeks ago. After 4.5 years on iOS 9.0.1 (jailbroken) I just decided it was time to update. My 6s+ and my daughter's 6s weren't being used as primary phones and I just finally got tired of things.

Have to say it was a good run though. One jailbreak for 4.5 years and a setup that I polished and didn't alter after the first year and a half. As much as I liked the old set up, I don't regret updating. I got my use out of iOS 9. :D

Reactions: retta283

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I'm using an iPhone 6 Plus on iOS 9 as I'm typing this. It has the TVOS 13 beta profile installed which disables all the nag screens and red badge on the Settings app icon.

BTW, iOS 9 is a horrible experience on the Internet. Most websites are broken using its old bowsers.
There's a certain "bug" it has that lets me do something that no other newer version of iOS can - so I'm not updating this phone.

image.png

Reactions: retta283

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm using an iPhone 6 Plus on iOS 9 as I'm typing this. It has the TVOS 13 beta profile installed which disables all the nag screens and red badge on the Settings app icon.

BTW, iOS 9 is a horrible experience on the Internet. Most websites are broken using its old bowsers.

View attachment 964280
You might look into Dolphin Browser. I know everything is based off the webkit engine, but I didn't have problems with Dolphin.

• Love
Reactions: now i see it

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018

There's a certain "bug" it has that lets me do something that no other newer version of iOS can - so I'm not updating this phone.

View attachment 964280
Strangely enough, I installed the tvOS 13 profile just after posting this thread and it didn't fix it. The profile does its job, because it tells me "iOS 9.2.1 Your software is up to date." and I don't get nagged, but the red badge is still present, and I see the 1 in the Settings app. Not 100% sure why it didn't remove that, I had this same thing happen on my 6S with iOS 10 and the tvOS profile removed the badge.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thank you very much!! It does seem to work on a a few websites that I know Safari won't. Awesome!!
You're welcome. I found Dolphin with iOS 6 (I hate webkit) and have used it extensively since then. It's not perfect (no browser is), but it does a decent job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.