Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janitor1999

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Well i suppose its a start, but apple need to do a lot more than this if they are going to be ahead of the game, my S4 has these sensors, and i have found a weather app to use them, but to be honest i am running out of reasons to stick with the iPhone, to be honest at the moment there is only one, which is apple maps, wipes the floor with google maps at present, and things can only get better, as everything else i need a phone for the android phones can do at least as well if not better.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I really don't care about those sensors. I am not the weather channel. How about we just do this.

2 sizes----
Bigger Battery
Bigger Screen
4k Recording
AC WIFI

4K recording seems like a pretty silly feature, especially for Apple who is focused on mainstream usage. Almost no one has a monitor or television capable of displaying it, and the quality advantage over 1080p from such a small sensor is very dubious anyway. I'm not against it, it just seems too niche for Apple to put many resources into it at this point in time.

The rest of what you listed, yeah. A 4.7"-5.2" screen with ~50% better battery life would be a fantastic upgrade all by itself. That said, if they want to add some extra sensors and there's little impact on cost or battery life, why not? The more information that's available to developers, the better, someone will find uses for it.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Except of course for the fact that people don't want to know what the weather is. They want to know what it will be.

Forecasts can be gleaned from other services, or perhaps even solved by hiring their own staff of meteorologists. If Apple had their own forecasters that could utilize a worldwide fleet of weather stations, they could remove the data dependency on Yahoo and other companies that could be potential competitors a la Google.

And how would Apple be able to tell how many of these iPhones are reporting the temperature/humidity of indoor locations, the inside of purses or pants pockets, the inside of cars they've been left in in Summer, etc?

With hundreds to thousands of iPhones in each city, bad data points can be tossed out algorithmically.

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Antwerp, belgium
This is very funny :)

Why would I want this in my iphone? suppose it's -15°C outside, is it going to tell it's 22°C because I'm inside? haha, at this moment I don't see the use of it.

besides a general weather forecast, the only time I check temperature is when I'm sick and I'm not going to keep my iPhone under my armpits :D

----------

With hundreds to thousands of iPhones in each city, bad data points can be tossed out algorithmically.

I wanna see you do that when it's -15°C (5 F) outside. How many iPhones do you think are 'outside' (not in pockets, coats or vests) and 'correct'?

fluchtpunkt

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013
If Apple had their own forecasters that could utilize a worldwide fleet of weather stations, they could remove the data dependency on Yahoo and other companies that could be potential competitors a la Google.

Apple is in no way dependent on Yahoo. Apple could switch the weather provider nearly instantly. Yahoo does not have a monopoly on weather data. They aren't even the source of the yahoo weather data, they get their weather data from weather.com. If Apple wants they can just get their data directly from there.

And I doubt that the Weather Channel will become a potential competitor of Apple any time soon.

The situation of the iOS weather app is in no way comparable to the Maps app.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
All the gimmicky features; how about moving to 2GB ram FFS!?

Probably will be another row and column of icons. Good grief it's 2014, we know how to use a smartphone already.

----------

4K recording seems like a pretty silly feature, especially for Apple who is focused on mainstream usage. Almost no one has a monitor or television capable of displaying it, and the quality advantage over 1080p from such a small sensor is very dubious anyway. I'm not against it, it just seems too niche for Apple to put many resources into it at this point in time.

The rest of what you listed, yeah. A 4.7"-5.2" screen with ~50% better battery life would be a fantastic upgrade all by itself. That said, if they want to add some extra sensors and there's little impact on cost or battery life, why not? The more information that's available to developers, the better, someone will find uses for it.

You need to wake up and smell some android coffee. 4K recording isn't a silly feature. It's silly the iPhone doesn't support it. Go try a note 3 with 4K and come back and say it's silly. Hacked 100MBit 4K on a rooted note 3 is silly but try not to down play something you obviously have no clue about.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Apple is in no way dependent on Yahoo. Apple could switch the weather provider nearly instantly. Yahoo does not have a monopoly on weather data. They aren't even the source of the yahoo weather data, they get their weather data from weather.com. If Apple wants they can just get their data directly from there.

The situation of the iOS weather app is in no way comparable to the Maps app.

Apple is currently dependent on weather data from other people. It doesn't matter who they're getting it from. I believe Apple learned a hard lesson from the Maps fiasco with Google. No, of course a weather app isn't as important as mapping. That's not the point. The point is, if Apple is including those kinds of sensors on future devices, they're going to have a more strategic reason for increasing the cost-per-device than "more sensors dude!". And the most strategic reason to record meteorological data on millions of devices is to own their own weather data -- to further reduce the ability of other companies to exert influence on Apple. The more data Apple owns, the more it can choose its own path.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
How accurate could the temperature sensor in a smartphone possibly be? I'm guessing it would usually give you a fairly inaccurate reading, particularly if you just pulled it out of your pocket, or if the CPU is running hot.

Quick reader thermometers get a accurate reading to a tenth of a degree in a matter if seconds. These are as cheap as a couple bucks now. Granted their range is only maybe theory degrees total, but still. A strategically placed sensor would likely provide reading plenty accurate enough for the average user

The real question is whether this added expense, no matter how small, is justified. I can get a fairly accurate trading if outside temps right on my lock screen via Internet data. Do I really need something even more accurate before I step outside to brave the world?

----------

Apple is currently dependent on weather data from other people. It doesn't matter who they're getting it from. I believe Apple learned a hard lesson from the Maps fiasco with Google. No, of course a weather app isn't as important as mapping. That's not the point. The point is, if Apple is including those kinds of sensors on future devices, they're going to have a more strategic reason for increasing the cost-per-device than "more sensors dude!". And the most strategic reason to record meteorological data on millions of devices is to own their own weather data -- to further reduce the ability of other companies to exert influence on Apple. The more data Apple owns, the more it can choose its own path.

Interesting concept. I wonder how many people would claim their privacy is violated because they are phoning in anonymous location and weather information.

----------

You need to wake up and smell some android coffee. 4K recording isn't a silly feature. It's silly the iPhone doesn't support it. Go try a note 3 with 4K and come back and say it's silly. Hacked 100MBit 4K on a rooted note 3 is silly but try not to down play something you obviously have no clue about.

I won't go as far as to say it's silly, but it's just not needed. Most of the screens we are viewing these videos on show no improvements with the 4k recorders. People upload to YouTube and Facebook most often and replay from their phones.

I am sure there are people who transfer videos off and watch on a better display on both sides of the fence. But that's a niche market. I personally find file sizes for these things already problematic compared to the storage space available on most phones. I am of the opinion that 4k recording is not CURRENTLY all that people rave it to be. I sort of compare it to thunderbolt, which is now on all Mac computers, but is so damn expensive that hardly anyone uses it nearly four years after it's introduction.

leon44

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Pressure sensor is the most interesting one here, because it's the same indoors and outdoors.
So you could get crowd sourced weather data, but even better: if your phone knows the pressure on the ground it can work out what altitude you are at, this is useful for climbing / hiking / sports but also even down to which floor of a building you are on. Potentially being able to plot your location in this new vertical dimension, this will be useful!

Mac-a-Mac

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2009
I think the iPhone 6's home button will have sensors for the Healthbook app.
Directly there, like the fingerprint sensor is.
So it could monitor blood pressure, etc...

fluchtpunkt

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013
Apple is currently dependent on weather data from other people. It doesn't matter who they're getting it from.

It matters a lot. Because Apple is dependent on a bazillion of other companies.
They outsourced their complete manufacturing. I doubt Apple would do anything just for the sake of independence.

No, of course a weather app isn't as important as mapping. That's not the point.

Indeed, my point is that the weather situation is completely different because there are various companies and organisations that would love to provide Apple with weather data. None of these companies will be a competitor in the foreseeable future. These companies won't demand prominent branding in Apples weather app, they won't pressure Apple to add certain features, they won't limit what Apple can do with this data and they won't request user data in return.
They just want a reasonable amount of money. And maybe an attribution in a 10pt light grey text label at the bottom of the app.

And it doesn't matter if the provider changes the conditions when the contract is extended, like Google supposedly did. It will be very easy to change to a different data provider. Weather data as it is currently used in the iPhone is just text.

In my opinion a weather service run by Apple does not make much sense. It offers very little benefits compared to today and comes with very high costs.

But we'll see what happens.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
hmm I wonder what else ALREADY has those features? Oh yeah:

samsung-galaxy4.png

original.jpeg

Sooooo going by the usual line of thinking for the Apple fans on this site, Samsung have indeed developed a time machine which, they made using stolen Time Capsule technology, travelled into the present, read this rumour on this site, then travelled back in time and put those very same sensors into the Galaxy S4...
and then copied Apple even more by placing them in the S5 also.

Because APPLE NEVER COPIES right? B******$

This is Apple following everyone else, AGAIN. But as said, people on here that are delusional will claim that Samsung some how copied this Apple rumour... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Seems i'm the only one who actually wants a temperature sensor then, mind I do have a digital temperature and humidity device on my bedroom wall as I like to know!

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Why would consumers care about that kind of data unless they are off-line spelunking, exploring the Amazon, or climbing Mt. Everest or the like? Then again, would one do those activities with an iPhone? Everyone else has their choice of great weather apps to inform them of all sorts of micro-weather data.

Of course I'm still laughing about the fact the compass app was an exclusive feature of the 3GS, a phone I loved, but never once used the compass, still don't. A feature I would love though is a way to REMOVE the compass app... and many other legacy Apple apps that are now worthless like Weather and Stocks.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Why would consumers care about that kind of data unless they are off-line spelunking, exploring the Amazon, or climbing Mt. Everest or the like? Then again, would one do those activities with an iPhone? Everyone else has their choice of great weather apps to inform them of all sorts of micro-weather data.

Of course I'm still laughing about the fact the compass app was an exclusive feature of the 3GS, a phone I loved, but never once used the compass, still don't. A feature I would love though is a way to REMOVE the compass app... and many other legacy Apple apps that are now worthless like Weather and Stocks.

Because when you go for hikes, you need to know about bad weather, PLENTY of places where you can go for a hike and they are far from civilization so it helps to know what the weather is doing. But the people that do that use watches like the Suunto range. Also mariners use them.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
No one says Apple copies Samsung here, but Samsung with a fingerprint sensor? Yup, definitely Samsung the copycat.

----------

Let's add smoke detector, pH meter, Oscilloscope, alcohol detector, bomb detector, radiation detector, and brain wave monitor.

Some of those would actually be useful :)

Problem with Android is that some devices have these sensors and some don't. Actually, I think right now only the Galaxy 5S has these sensors, but I could be wrong. So it's up to each device maker to create api's for developers to utilize these sensors. With the iOS platform, the situation is much more clear cut.

My S4 has them. Actually, the Android has support for the sensors built in.

Last edited:

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
I've been wondering why they haven't had one since I had the original iPhone, forget looking at the weather channel app to tell me approximately how warm/cold it is, give me a sensor on the phone to give me real-time information.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Problem with Android is that some devices have these sensors and some don't. Actually, I think right now only the Galaxy 5S has these sensors, but I could be wrong. So it's up to each device maker to create api's for developers to utilize these sensors. With the iOS platform, the situation is much more clear cut.

So what your saying is that you think Apple is far better at making a weather app then Samsung are? Hmm well considering how bad Apple Maps turned out I certainly would not state that!

Or are you implying that no app developer makes a weather app using the S4 sensors and somehow the iPhone would be the only one? Because you are already wrong with that, the S4 had all these sensors and you can get different apps that use them.

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
I am not sure I really care about temp sensor tbh. The temperature of my pocket for example is probably higher than that of the room i am in, which is probably warmer or cooler than outside. So what does the phone tell you the temperature is?

If they put it in that is fine but it needs to be well implemented.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
People with cars that don't have a digital gauge for their air-conditioning now have a built-in meter in their phone. I've always wondered what temperature my car is at. :D

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
As long as it doesn't force out actual, important features, like 128GB storage option.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
To those saying you love to know how hot your pocket is.....

How the hell are you going to know the temperature of your pocket without taking the device out? Because when you do, magically, it will tell you the temperature 'outside' your pocket....

Anyway, it's pointless IMO, people that rely on this information do so with watches and they can be permanently outside the body, so MUCH more useful for this info.
Personally I like to rely on the weather apps or channels collecting the data from all those weather stations, airports, satellites around the globe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.