Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skmex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2018
hello,

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to iPhones.

My iPhone 6 got wet and 20 minutes later it shut off. I took it to a shop where they took it apart and dried all the pieces. They said the motherboard was broken and needed to be replaced. 24 hours later I went to pick it up and they said they would give me a used iPhone 6 that has never been opened instead of mine. Turns out the new one has damaged speakers - even on loudspeaker at full volume it's Quiet and sounds weird.

The person at the shop insists that my old phone is at risk of failing further down the line because it got wet, but I'm not sure whether I should trust him on that. The price was the same.

My question is: should I keep the iPhone that has never been wet or opened but has bad speakers for the next two years or should I go back and insist they change the motherboard on my old phone and give me that one back, despite the fact that it got wet last week and could potentially fail further on (accordining tl the salesman)

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The used iPhone is defective as evidenced by the speakers.

Changing the motherboard without changing the home button means the touch ID won't work anymore.

I would get the old phone and go to the Apple Store or another repair shop. You asked that the phone be repaired, not replaced. Something doesn't seem right.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

Changing the motherboard without changing the home button means the touch ID won't work anymore.

I would get the old phone and go to the Apple Store or another repair shop. You asked that the phone be repaired, not replaced. Something doesn't seem right.
^^^This.

OP, they couldn't fix it so they tried to pull a fast one by swapping a used phone and telling you it was new.

At this point, OP they have proven they've lied to you.

Do what @Audit13 says, get your old phone back and go to Apple.

How does what happened equal a 'broken' logicboard? Unless they meant damaged? I hear 'broken' and I think it broke into two or more pieces. How does that happen?

Minho

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2017
Montreal, Canada
The salesperson is not incorrect in that water damaged logic boards can have "new" issues crop up over time. That said, if they gave you a defective replacement device, I would insist that they either give you a fully functional replacement device or you recover your original phone, bring it Apple for an OOW replacement. It will cost more but you may have more peace of mind.

Skmex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2018

Thank you! I followed your advice and got my old phone back. I figured they weren't being too honest... At least they did give me a refund. Thanks!
[doublepost=1515443065][/doublepost]
^^^This.

OP, they couldn't fix it so they tried to pull a fast one by swapping a used phone and telling you it was new.

At this point, OP they have proven they've lied to you.

Do what @Audit13 says, get your old phone back and go to Apple.

How does what happened equal a 'broken' logicboard? Unless they meant damaged? I hear 'broken' and I think it broke into two or more pieces. How does that happen?

Yup, you were right about them trying to pull a fast one. But I got it back. Thank you! And they meant damaged - I live in Mexico and translated incorrectly :)

Thanks again!
[doublepost=1515443122][/doublepost]
The salesperson is not incorrect in that water damaged logic boards can have "new" issues crop up over time. That said, if they gave you a defective replacement device, I would insist that they either give you a fully functional replacement device or you recover your original phone, bring it Apple for an OOW replacement. It will cost more but you may have more peace of mind.

I did as you advised. I'm broke now but I feel better about the whole thing. Thanks!

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.