Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danbcooper

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2015
My iPhone on 8.3 works wonderfull, I dont want to loose any speed and I dont want to have any bugs... Is iOS 9.3 still slower than 8.3? I dont need the extra features of 9.3, I just want the security update.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There will always be some bugs here or there (even iOS 8.3 has some). Speedwise, some devices have more noticeable issues than others, and some are more sensitive to it than others, but overall 9.3 is better than previous iOS 9 versions, as for how it will work for you compared to 8.3, it's hard to predict.

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
My iPhone on 8.3 works wonderfull, I dont want to loose any speed and I dont want to have any bugs... Is iOS 9.3 still slower than 8.3? I dont need the extra features of 9.3, I just want the security update.
Update. Performance is good and you get tons of new features.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007

9.3 will be slower than 8.3 on an iPhone 6. I would not upgrade if you're touchy to speed loss. I regretted updating to 9.1 when I had my iPhone 6 (on a 6s + now).

Here is an iPhone 5S on 9.2.1 vs 8.4.1. Obviously this is not an exact test for your device and software (no videos for 9.3), but from the other speedtest this guy runs....9.2.1 is no faster than 9.3 Betas (I doubt the GM gained any speed). Take those "my device is running snappier" comments with a LARGE grain of salt. Most of it is placebo.

UPDATE: After viewing the GM version of 9.3 lower in this thread, it's clear the beta version of 9.3 lacked some of the speed the GM received. Please use that video as the reference.

Last edited:
Reactions: danbcooper

stormchaser

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
UK
I had the same dilemma but I upgraded to 9.2.1 and don't regret it at all. It's silky smooth and as said lots of new features along with much better battery life.

stormchaser

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
UK
Just upgraded again from 9.2.1 to 9.3 and all seems very good. Not sure about battery but it's more slick than 8.3.
Forgot to add I'm on iPhone 6 too.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
You didnt say what device you have but iOS 9 is miles better as far as stability over iOS 8.3. 8.4.1 was a pretty stable decent update but 9 has been better even since 9.0. It was a tad slower and stuttered in a few places (like milliseconds) but 9.3 has finally eliminated that for most folks. The features and security updates far outweigh a millisecond delay opening an app or control center IMO. I compared 2 iPhone 6, one with 8.4.1 and the other with 9.2 side by side and it was such a small difference you would have to have them side by side to even notice the difference. And only when first opening the app when it was force closed. 9.3 has made further improvements but I no longer have the 8.4.1 device to compare to nor do I care. I guess it really depends on the device too. Anyway hope this helps.

Ganoninc

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2015
Lille, France.
Running 9.3 on iPhone 6 here.Noticeably slower than 8.4.1.There are animation stutters here and there.If I were you,I would stick with 8.4.1

Are you sure of that?

I've seen this morning this video
and it's clearly visible that iOS 9.3 is faster than iOS 8.4.1 on the iPhone 5S.

Why not on iPhone 6 ?

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Are you sure of that?

and it's clearly visible that iOS 9.3 is faster than iOS 8.4.1 on the iPhone 5S.

Why not on iPhone 6 ?
Historically, the iPhone 5S has run very similarly on iOS 8 and iOS 9, based on other videos posted by iApplebytes. I'm surprised how much better the GM runs compared to the beta video I posted earlier in this thread and stand corrected on some of my statements.

Still though, it's not a 100% win over iOS 8. iOS 8 seems to do better with scrolling animation in-app, it loads certain apps faster, and has less lag pulling up the control center the first time before it's placed into the phone's RAM. Despite this, if I had a 5S, I would upgrade to 9.3. There are a lot of instances iOS 9.3 is faster than iOS 8 and that's reason enough to stay current.

Unfortunately, these videos don't show the phone listed by the OP, so there's no real way to know how an iPhone 6 performs on iOS 8 vs iOS 9. All I can say is earlier versions of iOS 9 were clunky compared to iOS 8 in my experience when I owned an iPhone 6. I regretted the decision after I upgraded.

RobbyIdol

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
Running 9.3 on iPhone 6 here.Noticeably slower than 8.4.1.There are animation stutters here and there.If I were you,I would stick with 8.4.1

I really feel like the iPhone 6 is somehow outdated tech already in the Apple ecosystem. My 6 ran beautifully on 8.4.1 but has suffered from lag and stuttering on every iteration of 9.

Reactions: Radon87000

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I really feel like the iPhone 6 is somehow outdated tech already in the Apple ecosystem. My 6 ran beautifully on 8.4.1 but has suffered from lag and stuttering on every iteration of 9.
On the other hand works quite well for many others.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Are you sure of that?

Why not on iPhone 6 ?
I will be more specific here.Load times between the two are nearly the same but iOS 9 has animation stutters and lag in certain places.

Ganoninc

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2015
Lille, France.
I will be more specific here.Load times between the two are nearly the same but iOS 9 has animation stutters and lag in certain places.

I think we should not say lag when it concerns the first time that an animation is played after a cold boot.

I use iOS 8.4.1 everyday and it lags sometimes on my iPhone 6 and sometimes has strange behaviours such as the CC that won't open on lock screen until I unlock my phone and lock it again.

Reactions: calibru_2good_4u

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Don't forget that 8.3 didnt have input blocking like iOS 9. You could tap things while animations were happening.

If I were this guy, I'd stay on 8.3. Kinda wish I were still on 8.3 actually.

calibru_2good_4u

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2016
I think we should not say lag when it concerns the first time that an animation is played after a cold boot.

I use iOS 8.4.1 everyday and it lags sometimes on my iPhone 6 and sometimes has strange behaviours such as the CC that won't open on lock screen until I unlock my phone and lock it again.
That's right, my iPhone 6 is very slow to!! I have lags , stutters .. Why Apple does not optimize iphone 6 :(..

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I have two iPhone 6 phones. I installed 9.3 on one last night. They were both on 8.4.1 before. I'm not seeing any noticeable difference between the two so far. Caveat: I hate animations and have always turned them off. WiFi calling on VZW will be huge for me because our house is in a nearly complete cellular black hole.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013

Cold boot has horrible lag on my iPhone 6 on 9.3.There are frame skips everywhere for around 15 seconds or so.It smoothens out after that but still has stutters every now and then.For example,tapping on folders in 8.4.1 doesnt have frame skips as the animation zooms in while on 9.3 there is a pause before it zooms in

Wasn't meant to. More of a comment in relation to the comment about iPhone 6 feeling like outdated technology in Apple's ecosystem.
Does it show an animation stutter every 10 seconds or so?If it does,yes its outdated.I plan on getting an iPad Pro 9.7 on Thursday.I will report if that has any lags which will prove my point

That's right, my iPhone 6 is very slow to!! I have lags , stutters .. Why Apple does not optimize iphone 6 :(..
Planned obsolescence is a b***h aint it?Its done on purpose to force people to upgrade

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.