Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpongeBobsNumber1Fan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2017
Hello everyone!

I currently have an iPhone 6 running iOS 10.2.1 and it is experiencing some frustrating difficulties. The most major of them are the following:

1. I have about 22,000 photos and videos combined stored on this 64 GB phone that are taking up most of the storage space. However, a couple of weeks ago, the photos gallery started to show that there are literally no photos and videos. None of them can be accessed or viewed through the gallery. They are definitely all still on the phone and can be found in the DCIM folder using a file manager. But something seems to be corrupt in the photo gallery that is keeping them from being displayed.

Since they are taking up so much storage space, the phone is also exhibiting other problems due to low storage (running slowly, apps crashing, messages being deleted, etc.). I want to free up some storage to get everything working again, but I can't do this unless I can access my photos and videos to delete some!

2. This is probably related to the above problem... The native Camera app on the phone does not save photos or videos to the gallery anymore. The camera appears to work just fine, but nothing gets saved. I also have no success in saving screenshots or downloading images from messages or from the web. I have resorted to using a 3rd party camera app and then eventually just using my iPad for taking pictures.

Now I have already spoken to Apple Care over the phone several times and been to my local Apple store. Pretty much everyone is telling me the same thing: restore the iPhone and set it up as new. I am going to try to restore it from my most recent iTunes backup first to see if that might work. I really do not want to do any restoring, though, unless there is no other way of getting the photos gallery to work properly again.

I have already experimented quite a bit with the photo gallery's files using iMazing on my PC, following various online guides that seem to have worked for others experiencing problems similar to mine. Most of them have instructed me to delete files such as "Photos.sqlite" and others like it. Nothing has worked for me however. If any of you are knowledgeable on that kind of stuff, could you offer me any suggestions for possible things I could try with the files that might work to fix a problem like this? Thanks!!

Any help that anyone can offer me will be greatly appreciated. Like I said above, I really want to try everything possible before attempting to restore the phone or do anything like that with it. Please offer me whatever suggestions you may have. Thank you so much everyone!! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.