Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
My phone connects via Bluetooth as soon as I start the car. The music is fine for a little while then the volume gets lower without me doing anything. I literally have the volume on my car almost maxed out and it's as if I was listening to music on my headphones. It doesn't happen all the time but most of the time. The weird part is that lets say if I start typing, you can hear the keyboard clicks super loud, like it's supposed to sound when the volume is maxed on my car. Same with text messages. It's just the music that you can't hear correctly. Any ideas on what's causing this?

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
My wife was having trouble with her 6 syncing with ford sync and finally cared it to dealer. It wasn't her phone. Make sure the software is up to date on Ford.

jayf

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2014
Ford sync just plain sucks when paired to iOS. It's the classic good vs evil Apple and Microsoft battle. Ford sync works well with android and exceptionally well with Windows mobile but not so much for the iPhone users.

Ford could fix the issues but won't, and apple doesnt have an iron in that fire. so if you are like me and prefer Ford and apple, all you can do is put up with the buggy pairing.

I have 2 new Ford vehicles and have the same issues on both with my phone and my wife's...

Won't always auto connect
Will not notify incoming texts
Will not read texts (as advertised)
Buggy playing music

apple.snapple

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
Just so you know, it's not much better in the Chevy world, either.
My MY2013 Volt's "MyLink" is total garbage and I've been told by several Chevy reps that there will be no additional updates to the 2013 "infotainment" system.

The way they did Siri is a nightmare from hell. When you engage Siri (either button hold or hey siri), the entire infotainment system goes in to "phone mode". This phone mode takes about 5-7 seconds to engage, all the while the iPhone is waiting for you to say something.

So, my morning goes something like this:
"Hey Siri"... <wait for phone mode, phone mode engages>...
"Naviga"...."Sorry I didn't quite get that"... <phone mode ends and radio mode starts again>...
"Hey Siri"... <wait for phone mode, phone mode engages>...
quicker this time "Navigate to work!"
"Sorry I didn't quite get that"... <phone mode ends and radio mode starts again>...

Repeat 4-5 times until you can finally get it to go through.

EDIT: I should also mention how it works with Google Now and my old Nexus 5. Saying "OK, Google" will NOT start any "phone mode" and it uses the Nexus' internal microphone, which works perfectly. It's almost like they thought "instead of using the iPhone mic, let's engage the car's microphone instead". While that sounds great on paper, the phone mode is what kills the whole experience.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Honda is a little better it sounds like. Not error free but a little quicker. Like the Chevy when you say Hey Siri it switches to handsfree link. You hear the beep after Siri said something but you don't hear her. Its too slow for that. So, when you activate you give it a second and just start talking hoping you have her attention. After the initial activation the back and forth is fine you just never hear her in the beginning say anything due to the delay. Overall, its not bad and much better than looking at the phone while driving.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Just so you know, it's not much better in the Chevy world, either.
My MY2013 Volt's "MyLink" is total garbage and I've been told by several Chevy reps that there will be no additional updates to the 2013 "infotainment" system.

The way they did Siri is a nightmare from hell. When you engage Siri (either button hold or hey siri), the entire infotainment system goes in to "phone mode". This phone mode takes about 5-7 seconds to engage, all the while the iPhone is waiting for you to say something.

I had no idea it was so bad on GM! I've been with Ford, and my friend has been with GM.

I've been complaining about Ford's terrible Infotainment system. It is so limited and crippled by Microsoft's awful software. Ford never updates it, refuses to let people switch to their new QNX system (they give some stupid excuse like "licensing" or "cost issues). My friend tells me that his next car will be another GM, since Ford's stuff is so terrible.

Well, I guess GM's stuff is just as terrible.

Anything Bluetooth-related puts the Ford system into Phone mode, as well. There is a delay when switching. Maybe 1-2 seconds. It's kind of annoying, but it doesn't break things like you described on your GM. It's annoying to see "Phone call ended." over and over with every Siri or dictation use.

I told a Ford rep that because of the horrible way they handle their computer stuff, that I'll make darn sure to never buy another Ford.

Seriously, you cannot put a computer in a car, leave it with some half-functional junk OS, LOCK IT DOWN, and then abandon it.

Either fix it, replace the OS, allow me to swap it out, or OPEN IT UP so people can put something open-source on it.

KTK1990

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2008
My 6 plus works fairly well with my 2013 Focus.

I still hear the sent text message and all normal noises, but through my car's speakers.

Occasionally when I go to Settings>Blueooth, SYNC, I will find Show Notifications has been turned off. When it is off, the car will not read texts outloud.

A ford sync/ios limitation (That I did not know before buying the car...), is texts can not be replied to from the car. I have to wait until I get to a red light to reply.

For me Bluetooth will not resume when I start the car. It will default to Line-in and I will have to say the command Bluetooth Audio for it to work until I restart my car again.

AztecKing

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2007
Southern Oregon
So stupid

I had a Ford and could never figure out why something so simple as getting the Sync system to alert me when I get an incoming text. I was constantly checking my phone when I was expecting a text reply from someone. That is a safety issue for sure. I had at least two updates and it never was resolved. I just recently bought a new truck and ended up buying a Chevy and part of the reason was Sync still hadn't fixed this simple issue. My Chevy doesn't do it either but it was the better system of the two. It's so frustrating. If I'm listening to music or podcasts from my phone I hear the text tone so at least that's a little better.

apple.snapple

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
Does anyone know if the Apple CarPlay systems work better, as far as bluetooth/handsfree goes? I would imagine it would be preferable, if not perfect when used with the iPhone.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I had a Ford and could never figure out why something so simple as getting the Sync system to alert me when I get an incoming text. I was constantly checking my phone when I was expecting a text reply from someone. That is a safety issue for sure. I had at least two updates and it never was resolved. I just recently bought a new truck and ended up buying a Chevy and part of the reason was Sync still hadn't fixed this simple issue. My Chevy doesn't do it either but it was the better system of the two. It's so frustrating. If I'm listening to music or podcasts from my phone I hear the text tone so at least that's a little better.

Even with the iPhone and Sync settings correctly configured, it only flashes the notification on screen for some incoming messages. Never has worked 100%

Maverick max x DS 1

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2017
Ford Sync should be renamed Ford Suck
Horrible experience today at Ford dealer. Test drove a new 2017 F-350. Dealer could not get it to sync to my iPhone 7+ what so ever. Always loved Ford but my iPhone has been with me through my last 4 vehicles. My 2012 X5 has no issues. Hate to say this but GMC is looking like the most viable option. I'm not living without my music or phone in a vehicle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.