Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Just trying this on mine as well. The sticky/clicky home button has been bothering me for a while.

Am using an alcohol wipe. Will report back in 15 minutes or so to check if it's fixed things.

talkin73

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2008
YouTube video tip immediately made my "clicky" and loose feeling i6 home button stop clicking and no longer loose to the touch. Still works fine. Weird but very pleased. How do people think this stuff up?!?! Thanks for posting!

faizan.khurram1

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2015
I am happy to report that in day 3 there is still no click after doing what the video told me to do!! Who would have ever thought this would work. Ill report back again soon. Thanks again!!!
i have the same problem with my 6 plus that if i keep my phonw without using the home button for 30 mins or so then it gets stuck and give a clicking sound then if i use the home button thrice it get back to normal i read yr review but i dont have alcohol wipes is there any alternate to that

Bojče

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2015
I am happy to report that in day 3 there is still no click after doing what the video told me to do!! Who would have ever thought this would work. Ill report back again soon. Thanks again!!!
It worked for me 2 but I fixed mine with glass cleaner

D16

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2016

My home button had a weird double click sometime sticky feel to it. I did what was mentioned in the vid and it went away. It's been great for two weeks.
[doublepost=1453848939][/doublepost]Read the challenge you have on the stick sound etc. Are you always around low temperatures with the phone if so try to keep the phone more around a high temperature area.. That will do the magic

bryanc28

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
Arlington, Va
I believe apple has phones on reserve for defects. So if you bring it in and they determine something's not right, they'll replace it on the spot.

But the click on the 5s and 6 is a lot louder because of the Touch ID button.

The click on my iPad mini 4 is not like my iPhone 6s Plus. The iPad is nice and soft, the iPhone's is loud and crunchy. I hate it.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I had the same issue before. All you need to do is dab a paper tow with some water around the home button.
Some debris and sticky stuff gets in sometimes.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
I had the same issue before. All you need to do is dab a paper tow with some water around the home button.
Some debris and sticky stuff gets in sometimes.

DO NOT USE WATER. There's a reason alcohol or glass cleaner is used. Water, even in minuscule amounts, can be very corrosive to the electrical components near the home button. The trick does work, but do it properly, with alcohol.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
DO NOT USE WATER. There's a reason alcohol or glass cleaner is used. Water, even in minuscule amounts, can be very corrosive to the electrical components near the home button. The trick does work, but do it properly, with alcohol.
Yes you are right, I said water by mistake. I meant to type alcohol.

ayhamov

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2015
Guys, your help is really appreciated, I have the same issue with my new 6s Plus, the link provided has been set to private on YouTube, anyone has a new link or can at least describe the steps to get rid of that ugly click?

Last edited:

ayhamov

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2015
Guys, your help is really appreciated, I have the same issue with my new 6s Plus, the link provided has been set to private on YouTube, anyone has a new link or can at least describe the steps to get rid of that ugly click?

Guys, solved by rubbing the home button inner circle with a wet tissue (alcohol) for several times.

Turn off your iPhone first.

Shaniawilson

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2016
If I let my iPhone 6 Plus sit for a little while with out touching it, lets say half hour or so, the home button feels stuck and makes a clicking noise. It also does it randomly if I'm using the phone. Im very disappointed, this is the first issue I have ever had with any of my 7 iPhones.

Solutions - Can Apple fix this in store? If not, how do i get my phone replaced if their sold out? Should I go to Apple and have them order my replacement, will they take this phone away from me while i wait for my replacement?

On a Side Note: The upper portion of my screen also gets very hot when i have the brightness turned all the way up, any suggestions other then obvious don't turn your brightness all the way up.

This iPhone 6 roll out has not been one for the record books, I'm hoping to see vast structural and internal improvements for the 6S

Thanks for chiming in...
[doublepost=1465259086][/doublepost]
If I let my iPhone 6 Plus sit for a little while with out touching it, lets say half hour or so, the home button feels stuck and makes a clicking noise. It also does it randomly if I'm using the phone. Im very disappointed, this is the first issue I have ever had with any of my 7 iPhones.

Solutions - Can Apple fix this in store? If not, how do i get my phone replaced if their sold out? Should I go to Apple and have them order my replacement, will they take this phone away from me while i wait for my replacement?

On a Side Note: The upper portion of my screen also gets very hot when i have the brightness turned all the way up, any suggestions other then obvious don't turn your brightness all the way up.

This iPhone 6 roll out has not been one for the record books, I'm hoping to see vast structural and internal improvements for the 6S

Thanks for chiming in...

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
Give it a couple weeks. It'll be fine. People were making threads about the same thing after the 5s was released, then the loud clicking went away eventually.

If it is a problem, bring it to Apple. They'll take care of you.
Same thing happened to my device when i bought new. Then after some time it went away

Reactions: J&D and IronH4WK

D16

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2016

Thanks for chiming in...
[doublepost=1465411058][/doublepost]Hi Infra,
Do you leave the phone close to your AC.? Try keeping it in warm temperatures

Patrick K

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2016

Thanks for chiming in...
I've been having the same problem for probably 4 or 5 months now. The only solution I've found is rubbing some water on the home button. That fixes it for a couple days but then it comes back. Annoyingly with my Apple Watch the Digital Crown became stiff and the only solution was the same thing. It used to be what you described every 30 minute or so, but now it's like every other time I click the home button it happens.

okusai3000

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2013
Hello, I am having the same kind of issue: leaving the phone 30 minutes without any usage makes the home button to become stuck, clicky and hard to press.

Is best solution so far the alcohol trick?

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Hello, I am having the same kind of issue: leaving the phone 30 minutes without any usage makes the home button to become stuck, clicky and hard to press.

Is best solution so far the alcohol trick?
Yes

iPhoneSEissocute

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2017

Thanks for chiming in...

My iPhone SE Volume buttons are doing the same thing, they don’t work to press with a case on and when take it off I have to I use my nail to press really hard and it clicks really loud and then it’s normal until I leave it sit for like a half an hour, it’s really annoying, yesterday I was watching a YouTube video and my sound was all the way up and i was at Culver’s with my brother and mom and it played really loud and I was like “CRAP CRAP!!!!” Ripping my case off because it wouldn’t go down and my brother kept making dumb of me, we both have SE’s and we got them on the same day it came out, I believe March 31rst 2016 I think and his is perfectly fine , I don’t know what to do?!?!!!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.