Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGrainger

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Hi guys,

I'm just going to be honest and explain the situation: my brother opened up a Sprint contract around a year ago (a lease phone contract) over a 24 month period. He gave me his device when he left to go and join the military - I wasn't aware of this but he didn't pay the contract and now he owes the deactivation fee/fee for the device etc.

I now have the device and I want to unlock it, I can't actually unlock it via Sprint, as they don't unlock devices unless the phone is paid for and you are up to date with your account.

Is there ANY way for me to unlock the phone and use it? I can't jailbreak - I'm on the iOS 9 Beta, is there any possible site that will be able to unlock this device and allow me to put in a sim for another company? If not, that's ok - but I want to post here and get some expertise on the matter. If there's any way I would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Apparently the device isn't paid for and the brother can't "give it away" because he doesn't really own it yet?
Perhaps pay off the account?

iGrainger

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Apparently the device isn't paid for and the brother can't "give it away" because he doesn't really own it yet?
Perhaps pay off the account?
You're right - however, he owes literally another 12 months of the contract or the hefty deactivation fee PLUS the 200$ for the device as its leased.

It might be the shady thing to do however I just wanted to skip past that and unlock it for myself, it's not my debt!

iGrainger

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
If you don't see the problem with that... well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I do. But don't pretend there aren't thousands of people who do exactly the same thing, I wasn't exactly coming and posting to get judged ;) I was just coming on and seeing if there was any possible way to unlock it! :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hi guys,

I'm just going to be honest and explain the situation: my brother opened up a Sprint contract around a year ago (a lease phone contract) over a 24 month period. He gave me his device when he left to go and join the military - I wasn't aware of this but he didn't pay the contract and now he owes the deactivation fee/fee for the device etc.

I now have the device and I want to unlock it, I can't actually unlock it via Sprint, as they don't unlock devices unless the phone is paid for and you are up to date with your account.

Is there ANY way for me to unlock the phone and use it? I can't jailbreak - I'm on the iOS 9 Beta, is there any possible site that will be able to unlock this device and allow me to put in a sim for another company? If not, that's ok - but I want to post here and get some expertise on the matter. If there's any way I would appreciate any help.

Thanks!
Forget about jailbreaking, even if you could. Software unlocks are a distant thing of the past and were last relevant about five years ago.

P.S. Jailbreaking has NOTHING to do with unlocking. Two totally separate things.

Next, because of lack of payment the IMEI is now blacklisted. Your 'brother' will need to pay off the device before Sprint will even consider removing the IMEI from the black list.

You can use a third party to unlock the device for international use, but because the IMEI is blacklisted there is no way to get a domestic unlock.

You can use an R-SIM or a Gevey which will trick the phone into thinking it's on Sprint's network when it's not. Those are not actual unlocks (they are SIM Interposers) and you have to pay for them. Pull the interposer out and the phone will still be locked.

You know, it's really unfortunate that this happened to you. Your brother, being on Sprint, could have called Sprint after signing up and had his account frozen. No payments for a certain period of time and he'd pick up right where he left off when he got back.

Sprint does that for military members.

Now you have nothing but a blacklisted iPod.

iGrainger

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Forget about jailbreaking, even if you could. Software unlocks are a distant thing of the past and were last relevant about five years ago.

P.S. Jailbreaking has NOTHING to do with unlocking. Two totally separate things.

Next, because of lack of payment the IMEI is now blacklisted. Your 'brother' will need to pay off the device before Sprint will even consider removing the IMEI from the black list.

You can use a third party to unlock the device for international use, but because the IMEI is blacklisted there is no way to get a domestic unlock.

You can use an R-SIM or a Gevey which will trick the phone into thinking it's on Sprint's network when it's not. Those are not actual unlocks (they are SIM Interposers) and you have to pay for them. Pull the interposer out and the phone will still be locked.

You know, it's really unfortunate that this happened to you. Your brother, being on Sprint, could have called Sprint after signing up and had his account frozen. No payments for a certain period of time and he'd pick up right where he left off when he got back.

Sprint does that for military members.

Now you have nothing but a blacklisted iPod.
I appreciate the response, do you happen to know of any third party services that can unlock it internationally at the very least? So then he actually can use it abroad. Then we at least have some kind of usage.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I appreciate the response, do you happen to know of any third party services that can unlock it internationally at the very least? So then he actually can use it abroad. Then we at least have some kind of usage.
You might try swiftunlocks.com.

I cannot vouch for it's legitimacy nor do I know if they will unlock a Sprint phone now, but some long term users I know here have used it in the past.

Sorry I can't help more.

iGrainger

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
You might try swiftunlocks.com.

I cannot vouch for it's legitimacy nor do I know if they will unlock a Sprint phone now, but some long term users I know here have used it in the past.

Sorry I can't help more.
I appreciate your help, I'll contact them. Thanks again.

Reactions: eyoungren

TigerFist

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2015
You might want to do some research on that website before you purchase. There's some bad reviews on this forum about them. Go to some review websites that have reviews on unlocking websites. This should help you. There services available called "premium" and these can take up to 2 sometimes 3 weeks to complete and if the iPhone is blacklisted, you still won't be able to use it domestically. In the meantime, search checkesnfree or swappa to see what the status of the imei is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.