Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RushLakeGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2020
My spouse uses a 5S and its time for a change. She insists on a smaller size so will be looking at the new SE. HOWEVER, a cheaper alternative would be to use my old iPhone 6. I know that would miss out on some features (that she probably wouldn’t miss). So, before I further explore that option with her I would like to know what the battery condition is on the 6. But, because I had reset it I don’t know how (or if) I can get into the stats. Any ideas? Thanks.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
My spouse uses a 5S and its time for a change. She insists on a smaller size so will be looking at the new SE. HOWEVER, a cheaper alternative would be to use my old iPhone 6. I know that would miss out on some features (that she probably wouldn’t miss). So, before I further explore that option with her I would like to know what the battery condition is on the 6. But, because I had reset it I don’t know how (or if) I can get into the stats. Any ideas? Thanks.
Coconutbattery for your mac will tell you everything you need to know about iOS batteries... If you don't own a mac then your options are limited. Personally if you can afford the new SE it is a significant upgrade to either of your phones...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
There was a time I would have endorsed the 6, but I believe that time is past now. The minimum I can see for just general use would be a 6s. But as has already been stated, if you can afford the new SE that would be the better choice.

The main reason I suggest the 6s over the 6 is that the ram is doubled. The 6 has 1GB of ram while the 6s has 2GB. It makes a difference now.

Also, Apple will only charge you ~$80 for a new battery so that's another option if you stick with the 6.

Last edited:
Reactions: Locke Cole

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
4th padded cell on the right
Also, Apple will only charge you ~$80 for a new battery so that's another option if you stick with the 6.
That's what I did for my current iPhone 6. It definitely breathed new life into the phone. But I agree, it would be better to purchase a later model. The 6 no longer is supported so I am missing out on some of my favorite apps latest features. Dreaming of when I can update to the 11 Pro.

Reactions: eyoungren

Locke Cole

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2019
Southern Ontario
I agree with eyoungren
[automerge]1587058421[/automerge]
That's what I did for my current iPhone 6. It definitely breathed new life into the phone. But I agree, it would be better to purchase a later model. The 6 no longer is supported so I am missing out on some of my favorite apps latest features. Dreaming of when I can update to the 11 Pro.
The 11 and the SE (2020) are great options for you too and they cost considerably less than the 11 Pro. The SE (2020) even costs considerably less than the 11. All are equipped with the A13 chip of course.

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
The 11 and the SE (2020) are great options for you too and they cost considerably less than the 11 Pro. The SE (2020) even costs considerably less than the 11. All are equipped with the A13 chip of course.
I have considered those models but since I've waited this long, I'd prefer the camera options on the 11 Pro. But as you said, the cost factor would be much better.

Locke Cole

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2019
Southern Ontario
I have considered those models but since I've waited this long, I'd prefer the camera options on the 11 Pro. But as you said, the cost factor would be much better.
Cost does matter quite a bit. You don't wanna go broke over a phone.

If the camera matters a lot to you then an 11 or 11 Pro are good options (SE 2020 only has one camera lens and no night mode but otherwise much like the 11 or 11 Pro main camera). Pick whichever one you can afford.

As for me, the camera doesn't matter that much. If I had to upgrade, I'd get the SE (2020) in a heartbeat.

Reactions: shadow puppet

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
There was a time I would have endorsed the 6, but I believe that time is past now. The minimum I can see for just general use would be a 6s. But as has already been stated, if you can afford the new SE that would be the better choice.

The main reason I suggest the 6s over the 6 is that the ram is doubled. The 6 has 1GB of ram while the 6s has 2GB. It makes a difference now.

I want to say a new battery for a phone that age is $49

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
Cost does matter quite a bit. You don't wanna go broke over a phone.

If the camera matters a lot to you then an 11 or 11 Pro are good options (SE 2020 only has one camera lens and no night mode but otherwise much like the 11 or 11 Pro main camera). Pick whichever one you can afford.

As for me, the camera doesn't matter that much. If I had to upgrade, I'd get the SE (2020) in a heartbeat.
Just checked out the SE video. That red looks über cool.

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
The one big problem for me, is the screen size. As much as I've loved my current 6, I really want more screen size. Not a jumbo phone as I'm a petite female so smaller phones are easier for me to hold. So the new SE screen size (which looks much like my 6), will probably be a deal breaker for me. Bummer because the price point is very enticing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.