Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ppenn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
I just recently got an iPhone 6 and the home button seems incredibly recessed when compared to other generations. It's physically uncomfortable to run my finger over it.

Thoughts?

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
I just recently got an iPhone 6 and the home button seems incredibly recessed when compared to other generations. It's physically uncomfortable to run my finger over it.

Thoughts?

When you say "other generations", which generations are we talking about?

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
IIRC it has to do with making sure your finger makes contact with the sensor ring when you are using Touch ID. If the button was not slightly deeper than the ring, it would be very easy for the user to attempt to use Touch ID without actually touching the ring to activate it.

Reactions: Sirious

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thoughts?

That is how all Home buttons have been since the addition of Touch ID. Every phone since the 5s have had the same button. The 5/5c and below just have a generic curved button because it's not a Touch ID sensor.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Is this a critique (for lack of better words) of the actual design or are you trying to distinguish whether your particular phone has a manufacturing (or perhaps physical damage) fault? I don't know that my button feels any different physically than any other touch ID button I have used.

Reactions: Newtons Apple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.