Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lasloduncan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
?last two years?? so is that common? should I get a new battery can any phone shop do that? or do I need to do the dance craze that is sweeping the nation? the "apple hassle"--Thank you_

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Batteries typically last 12-18 months in the iPhone because the pack is designed for 500 cycles. That's about a cycle a day over 12-18 months. If you're past two years, your battery is probably due for replacement.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Check your battery health in settings. If its on or less than 80% then yes get a new battery. If you have an Apple store nearby book in a battery replacement online and then go in for your appointment. You'll get a genuine battery and keep your water seal. If they break it they'll give you a new (refurbished) replacement.

Only ever use genuine Apple batteries!

I change by 7 Plus battery every year to keep it running at optimum performance.

*My iphone 7 Plus started tanking hard yesterday even though battery health is 95%? So its always worth checking if all your apps are up to date, your on the latest iOS and a hard reset can often help.

Last edited:

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I replace my battery every 2 years. We keep our phones in use for 4, so I find that to be a good cycle. Trying to get more than 2 years out of a battery is tough if you're using it everyday.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

HKDesign

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
I just lodged a post about a similar issue I have. 84% health. I can either buy replacement battery or sell phone and invest in a SE 2. I currently have the 8 +...from late 2017.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I just lodged a post about a similar issue I have. 84% health. I can either buy replacement battery or sell phone and invest in a SE 2. I currently have the 8 +...from late 2017.
My vote would be a new battery to see your through until SE Plus, unless you want to go smaller?

Reactions: HKDesign

HKDesign

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
My vote would be a new battery to see your through until SE Plus, unless you want to go smaller?
Thanks for the input.....long term don't really want to be spending the pro$$$ for a phone..I think the pricing has exceeded reality a bit nowadays.....mid priced phone are probably more justified, considering life of battery etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.