Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bill-DFW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2017
Hello

I currently have the IPhone 6. My primary uses are WhatsApp, basic email, google maps, Waze, occasional facetime, etc stuff.

Iphone 6 is company provided, I am retiring soon and will turn this unit in. I have to buy a new phone altogether soon.

With that said, I am having a hard time making the decision between the 8 and the XR models. I cannot justify the XS, I do not have $1000 burning a hole in my pocket.

I can, and will, go to the XR if the 8 is about to be obsolete/no longer supported/etc but I don't see that happening.

Opinions ?

Thank you

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
If you must have TouchID and love the size of your 6, get the 8. The iPhone 8 is just 1 generation behind the XR, and it will be supported at least for another 4 years, if not longer. Oh and it’s also cheaper than the XR.

However, if you’re open to larger phone and have the budget, go for the XR. It’s a great phone. The camera quality will blow the 6 away, and the gestures are actually more intuitive than one might think. It has more RAM than the 8, and the battery life is one of the best for iPhones.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If you're a gambler, try out an XR (and keep it pristine so you can return it within 14 days if you don't like it). If you want a slam dunk that won't give you any potential grief or irritation, go for the 8.

Personally- I would rather have the exact same phone design forever with upgraded internals as time goes by.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
iPhone 8:
- Second generation Touch ID
- 3D Touch
- Lower price point

iPhone Xʀ:
- Face ID
- Force Touch (new to the iPhone, limited abilities)
- Higher price point but also offers a bigger screen w/ more color options
- Portrait mode (faces only)

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I can, and will, go to the XR if the 8 is about to be obsolete/no longer supported/etc but I don't see that happening.

Opinions ?

The iPhone 8 will be continue to be supported for at least 3-4 more years. The A11 bionic chip is supremely fast and easily capable of handling future iOS updates.

P.S. Apples refurbished iPhones are as good as brand new devices. When it has them in stock, Apple sells the iPhone 8 for just $499: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/FQ6K2LL/A/Refurbished-iPhone-8-64GB-Space-Gray

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iPhone 8:
- Second generation Touch ID
- 3D Touch
- Lower price point

iPhone Xʀ:
- Face ID
- Force Touch (new to the iPhone, limited abilities)
- Higher price point but also offers a bigger screen w/ more color options
- Portrait mode (faces only)
I believe that's Haptic Touch for the XR (as Force Touch is more along the lines of 3D Touch).

There are also some hardware differences, like newer more powerful CPU, although those might not really be something most would notice in daily use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.