Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbernhagen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2016
My iPhone 6 64gb had the sapphire camera lens break on back, which eventually led to dust/dirt getting on rear camera. So I decided to buy a new lens and camera to fix it. I opened the phone up and removed the old camera, only to realize a 6 plus camera was sent to me. So i packaged the phone back up with the old camera and she turned on just as she should (after a little adjusting to get all the ribbons connected securely).

Then the new camera arrived, so I again re-opened the phone and took out the old camera. Put new one in, and upon powering it back on with the phone sealed back up, it turned on but had a fuzzy white bar running across the top (assumed to be a bad ribbon connection, since this happened during the first install as well and I got it back to normal without any fuss after resetting the ribbons). So i opened it back up and re-secured each ribbon and closed up shop. Went to turn it on: nothing.

I tried opening, adjusting ribbons, and closing a few more times with the same "no power" situation. I even put the told camera back in and that didn't do the trick.

So, I took it to Apple and explained the situation. The rep was cool and said he'd write the notes up without mentioning any adjustments or opening by me. He then tied a voltage meter to it via the lightning port to see if it was still producing power. Sure enough, it came it at around .43 (he was hoping for it to be in the .3 -.4 range, said that meant it was in good shape and a likely candidate for a fix) volts or whatever that device measures in. Anyway, all they tried to do at the store was a display swap, which didn't resolve the situation (but cost me nothing).

I'm at the end of the road trying to discover what the issue could be or how to troubleshoot possibly offenders on the inside to pin point where the issue could be. Won't power on but still is producing the necessary power to operate. Can't figure it out.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.