Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IamScotty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2018
Wow, battery life is at 94% and worked like a charm on ios 12, updated to ios 13 and it drops to 1% from 100% in like 20 minutes.

Did apple do this on purpose again to kill off old devices? What is going on? Can I go back to ios 12?

Reactions: jpn

shah1

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2010
Yep noticing the same on my 6s hence why I've come to see what others having been experiencing on the iOS13 threads

breezyf808

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
It usually takes a couple days for it to sync with your daily routine.
When I first upgraded from iOS 9 to 12.4
I thought the same, but after a full restore and couple days it lasted the whole day. I’m still on the original battery which I got my 6s Plus on launch day. It still says that it’s running at least 74% optimal.
I have a mophie battery case to help me survive the day if I’m on it for music or netflix

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
OMG - same here. I had my iPhone 6S battery replaced at the Apple Store December 2018, and it was MUCH worse than what it replaced. In fact, by April of this year it was so bad, it was unusable. I went into Apple Store and had it looked over - apparently the battery swelled up and they gave me a whole new iPhone 6S (i.e. same model) with a brand new battery (of course). Somehow, it still seems worse than my old 6S battery - basically I have to charge my phone 2-3 times a day, and I'm not a super heavy user. Also, I turned off all that I'm supposed to turn off to save battery life, but it's still quite poor.

Honestly, I'm thinking Android for my next phone, just because of the battery life. My wife has a Huawei(!!), and that thing is a beast - endless battery life and generally an excellent phone. Now, I'm not going to get a Huawei, because of the Google situation, but I'm seriously thinking about Android, just because I don't trust iPhones battery life... I just hate it (I'm also still on iOS12.4) On the other hand, my iPad Air 3 has very good battery life so far - and I have as yet not upgraded to iPadOS13, because I'm afraid it'll murder my battery life.

Spacegray

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2016
Same problem here.
The phone was in shutdown-loop on safari.
Displayed battery level was changing between 1% and 54% after booting.
The only solution was setting it back to 12.4.1 using iTunes and OS from ipsw.me.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Replaced my 6S Plus's battery during the August 2018 (discounted battery replacement period). Capacity is now at 97%.

13.1 is running fine on it without any significant battery drain, lag, or anomalies. Updated through iTunes - downloading the whole ipsw and loading it onto the phone.

trfc54

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2019
OMG - same here. I had my iPhone 6S battery replaced at the Apple Store December 2018, and it was MUCH worse than what it replaced. In fact, by April of this year it was so bad, it was unusable. I went into Apple Store and had it looked over - apparently the battery swelled up and they gave me a whole new iPhone 6S (i.e. same model) with a brand new battery (of course). Somehow, it still seems worse than my old 6S battery - basically I have to charge my phone 2-3 times a day, and I'm not a super heavy user. Also, I turned off all that I'm supposed to turn off to save battery life, but it's still quite poor.

Honestly, I'm thinking Android for my next phone, just because of the battery life. My wife has a Huawei(!!), and that thing is a beast - endless battery life and generally an excellent phone. Now, I'm not going to get a Huawei, because of the Google situation, but I'm seriously thinking about Android, just because I don't trust iPhones battery life... I just hate it (I'm also still on iOS12.4) On the other hand, my iPad Air 3 has very good battery life so far - and I have as yet not upgraded to iPadOS13, because I'm afraid it'll murder my battery life.

I switched to a google pixel due to this problem. Had an iPhone SE, loved the phone, replaced the battery, but could only get 1 hour + usage on a full charge. It looks more and more like every iOS update brings you closer to upgrading to the latest iPhone, which seems like exactly what apple would want you to do.

daavee80

Cancelled
Jul 17, 2019
Wow. I'm surprised at all these comments. I updated my 6s Plus after waiting until 13.1 was released skipping 13 altogether. So straight from 12.4.1 to 13.1 and the battery life is way better. I noticed almost immediately after the update. I thought that it was odd and must have just been recalibrating but having charged it once since the update it is still better than before both in use and in standby, and by a noticeable margin. 13.1 is also snappier on the A9. It's like I've gotten an upgrade for free.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
The iPhone 6s is a very old phone so it is time to upgrade. iOS 13 does perform well on it, but all the components in your phone are very old, degraded and are probably going to fail soon.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Wow, battery life is at 94% and worked like a charm on ios 12, updated to ios 13 and it drops to 1% from 100% in like 20 minutes.

Did apple do this on purpose again to kill off old devices? What is going on? Can I go back to ios 12?

This happens with every upgrade. There is the system indexing which can take a day but I should be through that. I replaced the battery this week too.

This is what developers do - they add new features and they don't care that much about how much memory they use or about how efficient they write their Apps. I work in this environment and our memory, storage and CPU requirements keep going up and up and up. The justification for this is that hardware is cheap - well, yes, it is for Enterprise customers. It is just a better use of developer time to assume that hardware resources are infinite.

So I'm thinking about an 11. We get more efficient CPUs every year as well - you're going to get the best battery life out of the latest processors.

We went through this with Windows computers in the 1990s and 2000s. Every new release of Windows or programs used more resources so you upgraded fairly frequently. Then software got stable so you could wait a decade between new systems. Phones are in-between. Software is still growing and getting resource-hungry but not at the pace of a decade or even 8 years ago. My phone is four years old and runs fairly well.

This morning, I archived 3,000 emails from my work email account. I deleted a thousand personal emails from my iCloud, gmail and Yahoo email accounts. This should improve battery life on my iPhone 7+ as there's less indexing to do and searches should be faster. 60% of my battery usage is email so decreasing email overhead should be a win for me. 10% of my battery usage is iCloud Notes. So using smaller notes should help. I tend to create these 5,000 line notes for multiple diaries and they can get rather slow. In an ideal world, users wouldn't have to change their behavior to improve performance but that's the way it is.

Reactions: AstonSmith

IamScotty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2018
Interesting comments about the indexing maybe it will get better, I think I had the same issues when I went from ios 11 to ios 12 and after two weeks it fixed it self. I hope this is the case here.

All apps are downloaded from the app store... also I just used it for 31 minutes from 100% went to 83% just like that barely used any apps as you will see below...

Screenshot 2019-09-26 at 8.23.59 PM.png
Screenshot 2019-09-26 at 8.26.24 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2019-09-26 at 8.28.18 PM.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.