Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdavis81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Very annoying problem. I have a 2 year old 6s. About 2 weeks ago, I started being unable to have a phone call at home. The call connects fine, I have 4 bars of service, but the call goes in and out such that you cannot converse. When I leave home, I can make calls fine. I have had Verizon for years and never had any trouble. There are towers all around my house. There are no real new devices in my house to cause interference. My wife's Verizon 6s works fine (I have been using it to make calls).

I called Verizon and we spent 2 hours doing the following:
- turning on wifi calling (this was not on for some reason before)
- resetting carrier settings
- reset to factory settings

Even after factory reset, the phone can't be used for a call at home but outside the house mostly works fine.

They told me I need a new phone. I really don't feel like I need an upgrade so thought I would shoot for any ideas here.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
You should call your carrier again and inform that if your phone can connect to the network outside of the house then there’s no problem with the phone. It’s an issue with the radio signal penetration through your building walls. This could be down to the band the carrier is using.

Last edited:

Superspeed500

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2013
Have you tried to turn off 4G for voice (or maybe it's off)? Maybe your provider have done changes to their network that results in this problem?

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I had that with a particular location with Vodafone....I reported it, and it did turn out to be a local cell that was too powerful and they fixed it...

sdavis81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
But why would my phone not work but my wife's works fine? Both Verizon

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
But why would my phone not work but my wife's works fine? Both Verizon

Because not every phone is made equally and it really depends on the supported bands by a specific model. It’s a bit tricky but you kind of have to push it with the carrier.

sdavis81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Because not every phone is made equally and it really depends on the supported bands by a specific model. It’s a bit tricky but you kind of have to push it with the carrier.
thanks akash.
Can you clarify exactly what I am asking them?

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
thanks akash.
Can you clarify exactly what I am asking them?
Simply why YOU don’t get any signal at your house. Don’t bring in your wife or anyone else that just confuses matters. They need to resolve this for you and investigate it for you. You don’t have to do anything, let them go through their process and scripts.

Reactions: akash.nu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.