Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunkissed64

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2023
I have an old Iphone, an Iphone 6S+ that I'd like to connect to my laptop that has Thunderbolt 3 (USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C) port. Is there a cable I can use with Lightning connector on one end to connect to my Iphone and a Thunderbolt connector on the other end to connect to my laptop? I know each device has its own limitations and though i don't want to harm my old phone I do have a ton of photos and videos on it that i don't want to lose.

Another option I wanted to ask about is this: could I connecty Iphone with a cord with a lighting connector and a USB connector on the other end to a hub that connects to my laptop with a Thunderbolt connector?

Any help, or cord and hub suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
You can use a Lightning to USB-C cable. The hub option also works. There shouldn't be any issues with either.

sunkissed64

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2023
You can use a Lightning to USB-C cable. The hub option also works. There shouldn't be any issues with either.
I have over 7000 files so im trying to find the easiest and fastest way to download them into my laptop using the Thunderbolt port. When you say USB-C do you mean Thunderbolt (are they different names for the same thing?) This gets so confusing. Add to this having to use Itunes and it's already a huge pain in the butt.

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
I have over 7000 files so im trying to find the easiest and fastest way to download them into my laptop using the Thunderbolt port. When you say USB-C do you mean Thunderbolt (are they different names for the same thing?) This gets so confusing. Add to this having to use Itunes and it's already a huge pain in the butt.
USB-C is only a connection interface standard, Thunderbolt is the actual connection standard. You can have USB 2.0, 3.0, Thunderbolt 3, etc. on a USB-C connector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.