Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LacrosseChic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2022
Hey
So I recently was gifted an iPhone 6s from my brother who has used it for work a couple years ago. The phone has been sitting in a drawer for a couple years. I was thinking of setting it up for my 7 year old without a sim to use for games and YouTube kids etc.
Anyone have any experience with this phone and if it will be good for this? Thank you 😀

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
I still use the 6s as my main phone. But I do not know anything about mobile gaming.
That said.
The child could use the iPhone for taking photos and record some video. And even use it as a voice recorder.
I believe that would be a great tool for experimenting and learning, for a 7 year old.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
The 6S is still a great phone in 2024. I use it as a secondary device as it can still run all the popular media apps such as Netflix, Disney+, Prime & YouTube along with being a reasonable web-browsing machine. It’s fine for popular games such as Minecraft & Among Us too.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hey
So I recently was gifted an iPhone 6s from my brother who has used it for work a couple years ago. The phone has been sitting in a drawer for a couple years. I was thinking of setting it up for my 7 year old without a sim to use for games and YouTube kids etc.
Anyone have any experience with this phone and if it will be good for this? Thank you 😀
My wife's 6s was my daughter's second phone. She got it from me when she was around 12 and used it up until I get her an SE2 in 2022, so…right before she turned 14 I think (she's 15 now).

It handled everything she was doing. I think if your 7-year old isn't using real intense games it should be fine. As a phone it's still relevant. I have my own 6s+ on it's own line and it still does fine as a phone (I don't game).

Going forward though, when it's time for your kid to have a line of their own, the iPhone SE series has been good for my kids. Both of them currently have the SE2. I will probably upgrade my son to an SE3 before he's on his own. He's 20 now, but I started him with an 8GB iPhone 4s when he was 13.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The child could use the iPhone for taking photos and record some video. And even use it as a voice recorder.
My daughter had access to a 3GS when she was 5 or 6 I think. Pics she took during that time ended up in my camera roll. I have a whole lot of blurry selfies, screen caps of a drawing program and many, many, many pics of the cat as he walked around the house. She was quite fond it seems of shoving the camera in the cat's face and taking pictures. SMH.

;)

LacrosseChic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2022
Thank you for all the replies! I believe there will be quite a lot of blurry photos of the family and guinea pigs as well 😂 and she uses YouTube kids and Netflix mostly. The games she plays are not intense at all, and I checked her favorite game and it runs on iOS 12 and up so she will be good. They have school issued iPads and use Minecraft for academic reasons so she will probably play that on the iPad 👍🏻 we won’t be getting her a sim for quite some time but I have been thinking the SE when the time comes 😊

Reactions: eyoungren

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Hey
If you really love your kid, you’ll get her iPhone 15 Pro Max. 😂

Joke aside, the 6s would be a great device for her needs. And its working really good with the latest iOS for this device.

Last edited:

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I have a 6S as my backup phone. I only use it to ensure I'm still contactable when I'm installing the latest betas on my 11 (which is often weekly).

It runs well but is limited to iOS 15, and as I bought the 16GB model I can't install many apps on it as they've become really bloated in the last few years.

Reactions: LacrosseChic

P_Watt

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2018
Hey
Without a SIM you may need to use a Mac to activate it and set it up.
In some locations emergency services can be called (911, 999…) with no SIM, so put in some communication rules in Screen Time.

Reactions: LacrosseChic

LacrosseChic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2022
Well we set it up now and the battery health is at 77 % and loses battery very fast. Can you still get battery replacements for a 6s?

Reactions: Andeddu

LacrosseChic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2022
Fingers crossed it gets better and I’m sure it will. We have -10 degrees Fahrenheit here so that’s not helping the battery either I suspect. We have now been FaceTiming the past 2 hours from all around the house 🤣 so looks like she is enjoying it!

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
Make sure to put it in a case because these older iPhones were a lot more fragile than current designs. If she's like the kiddos that I know, it's going to get bumped around a fair bit over time.

LacrosseChic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2022
Yes it went right in a case 😊 knock on wood - she has yet to drop her iPad but you never know! A phone gets carried around a lot more 😊

• Love
Reactions: CalMin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.