Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRadio

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2013
I have a 6s I use now as my running phone, a cheap PAYG sim card, just so I have something for when out and about if needed. Don't really care now if it takes some abuse, its there to use mainly for music and emergencies.
Battery health is showing as 84%, and as you say runs smoothly enough on latest IOS.
Having dropped my last Flagship phone whilst out on the trails (smashed screen) i'm a bit reluctant to take my 11 Pro for that purpose.

Reactions: jpn

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
same here. I love it. I bought an iPhone 11 and returned it. Went back to my 6s plus , changed the battery and good as new.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
In 2015 anyone with 3 brain cells could see that the 6s had a level of performance that would last much longer than earlier smartphones. What with the extra speed and ram. So long as Apple kept supporting it

Unfortunately, a large, vocal contingent on this forum had fewer than 3 cells. The forum was ripe with “it’s a minor update” comments because it looked the same as the 6.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
For the win....

this bad boy runs things perfectly smooth... (to me)

must love the optimism Apple brings for these devices and longevity
Yup. Still on my 6S today. Performance is completely fine. The only issue is battery life.

Janeilfen

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2018
Yup. Still on my 6S today. Performance is completely fine. The only issue is battery life.
the problem with bad battery life is its meant to be a mobile device. So battery depleted = no working device. My 6S is about 4.5 years old, and I have just had to have the third battery fitted.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
I have the iPhone 6S plus, but it was very outdated in 2017 even.

Back then in 2017, all Android phone had no bezels already and Apple was already very late to the party when it launched the iPhone X (basically copied what android phones were doing).

Basically my iPhone X has more screen real estate then my iPhone 6S+ while being smaller in size. And screen quality is also a huge improvement with the jump to AMOLED.

Sure, my iPhone 6S plus still runs quite well in 2019, but I would definetly recommened atleast upgrading to an iPhone X as that is the first modern iPhone of Apple which should be quite cheap nowadays.

Reactions: brucemr

Virgilinsanity

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2014
UK
Just upgraded from the 6s to the 11 and am absolutely blown away by the improvements. Didn’t think I would be, but I am. Everything from facial recognition (which works flawlessly), to the beautiful screen, the camera and overall speed. The wife inherited the 6s. I spoil that woman.

I loved my 6s, btw. The battery was replaced a year ago, but apart from that it was impeccable. My original 3GS is still going strong and is used daily as an ‘iPod’.

Last edited:

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
For the win....

this bad boy runs things perfectly smooth... (to me)

must love the optimism Apple brings for these devices and longevity

Have to say, I fully agree. As someone who comes from Android I have not seen a single one supported for as long as the iPhone 6s.

Looking back at the 6s competition:
Samsung Galaxy S6/S6 Edge and Note5
LG G4/V10
HTC One M9

None of these devices are even supported by their OEMs anymore, not for at least 2 years now, despite some of them having double the RAM of the 6s.

Makes me confident around the support for my XS Max and keeping it as a spare when I get my next iPhone.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I have the iPhone 6S plus, but it was very outdated in 2017 even.

Back then in 2017, all Android phone had no bezels already and Apple was already very late to the party when it launched the iPhone X (basically copied what android phones were doing).

Basically my iPhone X has more screen real estate then my iPhone 6S+ while being smaller in size. And screen quality is also a huge improvement with the jump to AMOLED.

Sure, my iPhone 6S plus still runs quite well in 2019, but I would definetly recommened atleast upgrading to an iPhone X as that is the first modern iPhone of Apple which should be quite cheap nowadays.

So you are saying that due simply to design one must upgrade to the iPhone X? Lol. That makes no sense. The OP said they are happy with their 6s.

Not a single Android launched alongside the 6s is even getting updates, heck, most Androids launches in 2017 are already losing support or already lost update support. The original Google Pixel launched in 2016 is losing update support in December this year, lol, yet the iPhone 6s, launched in 2015, will continue to get official support well into 2020.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
the problem with bad battery life is its meant to be a mobile device. So battery depleted = no working device. My 6S is about 4.5 years old, and I have just had to have the third battery fitted.
I have a launch weekend 6s and a 6s+, both still on original batteries. They do fairly well.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Which IOS are you on... I am on 11.2.6 and hesitant to update.

Really? You never upgraded to iOS 12?

the 6s was even faster on iOS 12 than iOS 11!

6s on iOS 13 runs amazing as well. I cant speak to bugs on iOS 13, but I find both iOS 12 and 13 on the 6s are faster than iOS 11!
[automerge]1573335388[/automerge]
In 2015 anyone with 3 brain cells could see that the 6s had a level of performance that would last much longer than earlier smartphones. What with the extra speed and ram. So long as Apple kept supporting it

Unfortunately, a large, vocal contingent on this forum had fewer than 3 cells. The forum was ripe with “it’s a minor update” comments because it looked the same as the 6.

yep. To this day it’s still the biggest generation to generation iphone performance enhancement

2x the ram with a faster and note efficient type of ram clocked at a higher frequency, node process efficiency, and almost double the cpu and gpu performance all around. 2x faster wifi chip. 2x faster LTE chip. 2x faster Touch ID. Much faster flash storage. Despite it looking the same as the 6, it really was a huge leap in performance.

The A9 laid the foundation behind every high performance core A series chip since then, and should be able to handle any future iOS update that the A10 devices will receive.

It’s amazing running a 6s and iPhone 8 side by side seeing how similar they are in Performance. Do that with any prior device with their respect 2 generation older sibling and you’d see a significant gap in opening up simple apps or navigating the UI at some point.

bonus points to the 6s booting up to iOS 13 after powering down faster than the 11 Pro does lol

Last edited:

hsadler

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
Well, based on what was said here, I updated to 13.2.2
Everything is working fine. Thanx guys

Reactions: ericwn

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The 6s is still relevant, it’s support is likely nearing an end, but it doesn’t it mean will lose its functionality. Realistically, it’s perfectly fine for what it offers now, but future updates will ultimately slow it down, but that’s to be expected.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

brucemr

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2019
I might still be my 6s if hadn't dropped it in the water on a duck hunt 2 years ago. ?

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I have impulse control problems with inexpensive iPhones. I have 4 now, only 2 are in use. Carry the X every day. Impulse purchase last January of an SE that is my backup phone I carry (on another carrier) when out of town.

I also have an inexpensive 6s and the 7+ I bought new. The 7+ was my backup carry until I used the SE.

If I broke or lost the SE, I would slide the 6s into it. If the X, the 7+ would come back. Or if my sister or brother in law's phones broke, the 7+ could be given to them.

Of course, if I broke the X in the very short term, I would probably just by the 11 Pro. But at some point I would use one of these phones to carry me over until the 2020 models came out.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
my wife used her 6S until last week, when she inadvertently dropped it into the water and it died. I bought her an XR 128 Gb and she is very happy about battery life and camera, but the 6S was very good performance wise.

KiraYamato

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2015
I upgraded, but my iphone 6s plus is still running very smoothly. The only thing holding it back is the average camera and some deep scratches appearing. Plus the battery is done. Still, I'm surprised it still runs newer ios butter smooth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.