Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
So I was shopping at local Costco yesterday and brought an brand new iPhone 6S Plus for like 300CAD (total paid was around 150 dollars because I have few Costco gifts card laying around).

I am using iPhone 6S as one of back up phone (along with iPhone 7 while iPhone 11 is my main phone).

I am pleasantly surprised by how well it handles iOS 14. Everything is extremely smoothly and best of all, most iOS 14 features are available on this phone.

I think iPhone 6S is a pivotal point. It is first iPhone with 2GB RAM, Apple A9 is powerful enough to be competitive with midrange Snapdragon 712, it has decent enough camera.

If anyone think buying Android because iPhone is too expensive, I would say if you are going to spend 300ish Canadian Dollars for a mid-range Android, Ultra-cheap iPhone 6S or even iPhone 8 would beg his or her attention. Timely software updates, care of privacy, Apple ecosystem and most importantly great after sale services are reason to purchase iPhone.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have a 6s+ and my wife's old 6s. We used them from launch weekend 2015 to May 2019. Both are still running iOS 9.0.2 and have never, ever, needed to be taken in for service.

Both have been rock solid since we got them. Great phones.

Reactions: arfbsantoso

arfbsantoso

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2019
I have a 6s+ and my wife's old 6s. We used them from launch weekend 2015 to May 2019. Both are still running iOS 9.0.2 and have never, ever, needed to be taken in for service.

Both have been rock solid since we got them. Great phones.

And i still using my 16GB SE.
It works fine since 2016.

Reactions: eyoungren

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
I'm still on a 6S as my main device and have been for about 3 and half years now. Still serves me well, battery is struggling as the health of it isnt great but the majority of time i'm either at home, work or in the car where i have access to charging and if i go out for a period of time that may cause an issue i have some bluetooth earphones where the charging case doubles up as a battery pack charger for my phone. This is probably only needed if i'm out all day though and use the phone quite a bit.

Reactions: nordique

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
Although the 6s, 7, and 8 all remain good phones, it’s hard for me to recommend them given the price of the new SE and what you get for it (unless you’re on a very strict budget).

Also depends on where you are located. In Canada, the iPhone SE starts at 599CAD and goes all the way to 800CAD. And this is not factoring taxes.

599CAD is not cheap, certainly not 399 level cheap. People who are in budget or don’t want spend 600 dollars for a new phone would definitely benefit from 6S, 7, or 8.
[automerge]1596032588[/automerge]
I'm still on a 6S as my main device and have been for about 3 and half years now. Still serves me well, battery is struggling as the health of it isnt great but the majority of time i'm either at home, work or in the car where i have access to charging and if i go out for a period of time that may cause an issue i have some bluetooth earphones where the charging case doubles up as a battery pack charger for my phone. This is probably only needed if i'm out all day though and use the phone quite a bit.

Get a battery case from Amazon, problem solved.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Yes, the iPhone 6s Plus is a solid phone to use even after 5 years since its release. Still got mine as a backup with a brand new battery, and It runs flawlessly like new on the last version of iOS 12 that I have left it at. In terms of day to day performance, for me personally, it is as snappy as my iPhone 8 Plus and 2nd gen SE. Never had a single glitch or bug with it in 5 years. Also it has a headphone jack which is a massive bonus.

Reactions: rafark

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Also depends on where you are located. In Canada, the iPhone SE starts at 599CAD and goes all the way to 800CAD. And this is not factoring taxes.

599CAD is not cheap, certainly not 399 level cheap. People who are in budget or don’t want spend 600 dollars for a new phone would definitely benefit from 6S, 7, or 8.
Fair enough. But you can also find a deal on an SE. In the US, Walmart is offering them to Verizon and AT&T customers for $200 off, meaning US $200 for the 64 GB model. That’s not a deal that everyone can take advantage of, but at least in the US, you can usually get good discounts on current phones though some combination of holiday sales, trade ins, carrier offers, etc.

Maybe it’s different in other countries, in which case I can see the appeal of a substantially discounted older model.

Reactions: orbital~debris

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
My launch day iPhone 6S Plus is still used daily. I use it as a bed phone. I leave my XS Max on the nightstand to charge and use the 6S to watch some YouTube videos (with my AirPods Pro) and browse the web. Since it's a secondary device, I have iOS 14 beta on it and it runs perfectly fine. If the resale value of the XS Max wasn't so low, I would sell it soon and go back to using the 6S until the new iPhone models come out later this year.

Even with a replacement $29 battery (during that $29 battery replacement program) it still doesn't compare to the XS Max in terms of battery life. The 6S would probably last 80% of the day vs the XS still has 15%-25% at the end of the day.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
My son has a 64GB SE, since October 2018. ;)

I am passing on first generation SE. the scene is too damn small for my test. Constant scrolling is not fun, LOL.
[automerge]1596073903[/automerge]
Fair enough. But you can also find a deal on an SE. In the US, Walmart is offering them to Verizon and AT&T customers for $200 off, meaning US $200 for the 64 GB model. That’s not a deal that everyone can take advantage of, but at least in the US, you can usually get good discounts on current phones though some combination of holiday sales, trade ins, carrier offers, etc.

Maybe it’s different in other countries, in which case I can see the appeal of a substantially discounted older model.

Well, in US, you can get a 99 dollars iPhone 7 from prepaid carriers with a cheaper plan (maybe?).

Everything is so much more expensive in Canada, but I am staying Canada, because you know, it is a beautiful country and universal health care coverage.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I am passing on first generation SE. the scene is too damn small for my test. Constant scrolling is not fun, LOL.
Well, my son went from a 64GB iPhone 5 to a brand new SE for his birthday that year. He's used to the size and he likes his phone.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Get a battery case from Amazon, problem solved.
Yes i could but to be honest for the times its an issue i can just use the battery pack charger as part of my earphones charger case especially as i'll probably look to change the phone soon.

GFR50

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2015
Took my daughters original SE to the local Apple Store for a new battery; they couldn’t remove the old battery without damaging the phone (for some reason) so gave me a replacement phone for the cost of the battery replacement.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Took my daughters original SE to the local Apple Store for a new battery; they couldn’t remove the old battery without damaging the phone (for some reason) so gave me a replacement phone for the cost of the battery replacement.
I went for a screen replacement once and because they had problems getting iOS9 on to the phone they gave me a new phone for the cost of the screen replacement.

Despite the reason they gave me, I knew what happened and it wasn't because of iOS9. I turned in a jailbroken iPhone that they had me reset and despite my telling them to use DFU Mode the genius wasn't listening. The result was a boot loop and they didn't want to deal with it so just gave me a new phone.

My point being, whatever they told you may not be the real reason. :)

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Yep. 6s is an excellent phone.

And the A9 is an excellent chip.

I was also surprised with how well iOS 14 runs on it, but it’s not too dissimilar from the high performance cores on the A10 so I guess I shouldn’t have been too surprised

It still outperforms new low end chips in 2020

I know a fair number of people who have held on to their 6s or 6s Plus and will use it till it dies
[automerge]1596122102[/automerge]
Although the 6s, 7, and 8 all remain good phones, it’s hard for me to recommend them given the price of the new SE and what you get for it (unless you’re on a very strict budget).

It’s almost 700$ with tax in Canada, so a brand new 6s Plus from Costco for that price is pretty solid.

Plus it has a 1080p display and better battery than the SE 2020.

I can understand why OP would pick one up even as a secondary phone. 300$ Canadian is very good for a *brand new* iphone

It’s not like Canadians get paid significantly more than Americans. While the exchange rate is what it is, 700$ up here is still practically speaking a lot more than 400$ down there (in context of SE for example) in terms of what we spend $ on daily, weekly, monthly
[automerge]1596122368[/automerge]

Unfortunately we don’t have any equivalent in Canada. I believe we still have the highest monthly cell phone plans in the world with main carriers.

We used to be able to justify it with massively subsidized phones contract, and those subsidies were better than a lot of countries, but that has since fallen to the wayside since financing similar to other regions has now come into place where you end up paying for most of the phone now anyways by term end or it’s hidden in monthly phone bill fees (i.e. 65$/mo plan with free iPhone SE is also same as 50$/Mo plan with iPhone SE starting at 360$ (15$ monthly financing))

I only have a decent plan because I’m on a corporate plan, on top of that my number is in a provincial regional with lower prices than most provinces in the country, but these plans should be what the general public has nationwide. We do get ripped off with cell phone bills here. The “big 3” carriers just keep getting richer and richer too, and 5G is going to only make everything even more expensive.

The fact modern A series chips are as powerful as they are meaning Apple can support the phones for longer and longer will be very important for Canadian users, as will the emergence of mid range androids with specs that are “good enough”....it’s one thing to get a brand new iPhone 5 for 99$ on contract for 2 years full subsidized for 30$ a month, versus a brand new iPhone 11 for 0$ down but 34$/month financing on a minimum 75$/monthly plan (109$/Mo)

Even the iPhone SE here is 100$/Mo (!) on the same minimum plan with a main carrier and 25$ financing monthly

Just to put it in perspective how expensive it is up here. This is why midrange androids and iOS devices lasting years and years are incredible for majority of the Nontech public up here

I know people who go to Costco and get the 6s or 7 for 300-400$ or whatever it is and then sign up for a 40/Mo plan because that’s what is affordable for them. That still ends up being cheaper than going with a main carrier and getting an iPhone SE

We definitely got the short end of the stick up here when it come to cell phones, and most Canadians don’t realize that because they only know what they know

Last edited:

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
Yep. 6s is an excellent phone.

And the A9 is an excellent chip.

I was also surprised with how well iOS 14 runs on it, but it’s not too dissimilar from the high performance cores on the A10 so I guess I shouldn’t have been too surprised

It still outperforms new low end chips in 2020

I know a fair number of people who have held on to their 6s or 6s Plus and will use it till it dies
[automerge]1596122102[/automerge]

It’s almost 700$ with tax in Canada, so a brand new 6s Plus from Costco for that price is pretty solid.

Plus it has a 1080p display and better battery than the SE 2020.

I can understand why OP would pick one up even as a secondary phone. 300$ Canadian is very good for a *brand new* iphone

It’s not like Canadians get paid significantly more than Americans. While the exchange rate is what it is, 700$ up here is still practically speaking a lot more than 400$ down there (in context of SE for example) in terms of what we spend $ on daily, weekly, monthly
[automerge]1596122368[/automerge]

Unfortunately we don’t have any equivalent in Canada. I believe we still have the highest monthly cell phone plans in the world with main carriers.

We used to be able to justify it with massively subsidized phones contract, and those subsidies were better than a lot of countries, but that has since fallen to the wayside since financing similar to other regions has now come into place where you end up paying for most of the phone now anyways by term end or it’s hidden in monthly phone bill fees (i.e. 65$/mo plan with free iPhone SE is also same as 50$/Mo plan with iPhone SE starting at 360$ (15$ monthly financing))

I only have a decent plan because I’m on a corporate plan, on top of that my number is in a provincial regional with lower prices than most provinces in the country, but these plans should be what the general public has nationwide. We do get ripped off with cell phone bills here. The “big 3” carriers just keep getting richer and richer too, and 5G is going to only make everything even more expensive.

The fact modern A series chips are as powerful as they are meaning Apple can support the phones for longer and longer will be very important for Canadian users, as will the emergence of mid range androids with specs that are “good enough”....it’s one thing to get a brand new iPhone 5 for 99$ on contract for 2 years full subsidized for 30$ a month, versus a brand new iPhone 11 for 0$ down but 34$/month financing on a minimum 75$/monthly plan (109$/Mo)

Even the iPhone SE here is 100$/Mo (!) on the same minimum plan with a main carrier and 25$ financing monthly

Just to put it in perspective how expensive it is up here. This is why midrange androids and iOS devices lasting years and years are incredible for majority of the Nontech public up here

I know people who go to Costco and get the 6s or 7 for 300-400$ or whatever it is and then sign up for a 40/Mo plan because that’s what is affordable for them. That still ends up being cheaper than going with a main carrier and getting an iPhone SE

We definitely got the short end of the stick up here when it come to cell phones, and most Canadians don’t realize that because they only know what they know

I guess it is highly depends on if you know where to look. I purchased lucky mobile SIM card from WalMart, wait for a month, top up minimum 15 dollars second month and wait for a month. Went to Costco and did prepaid to post paid migration to Virgin Mobile.

I picked up iPhone 7 for 0 down and 50 dollars plans (40 dollars with 10 dollar per month for the phone)with 7GB data. I specifically asked iPhone SE, it is about 25 dollars per month, therefore you can get iPhone SE with 0 down for 65 dollars a month with Virgin. I went through the hoop because i want Virgin Mobile.

If anyone doesn’t mind the limitation of Freedom Mobile, you could get iPhone SE 64GB with 65 dollars a month with 20GB data. But I can’t deal with Freedom, as I was with Freedom for 5 years, their network was still not on par with big 3.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
OP is exactly right. I went from 6 to 6s and stayed for this reason. It’s enough for most consumers.

There was a vocal group dismissing it as a minor upgrade because it looked the same. Emotionally driven people with no higher logic capability.

• Haha
Reactions: miq
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.