Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ilma96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone is experiencing the same problem as I am. My iPhone 6s Rose Gold 64gb has recently developed a loud, crunchy home button. This happens mostly if you press the button in the middle with the tip of your finger or on the right side. However if you cover the button with your finger, pressing evenly it doesn't make that sound. Also it usually makes the loudest click when you leave it for sometime (let's say half an hour) and then press on it. It feels weird and sounds like your crushing something inside. It definitely doesn't sound right. My Apple's Limited Warranty has expired but I'm still covered by Australian Consumer Law. If I take it to Genius Bar will I get a free replacement?

ilma96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
Your warranties might be different and only way to know is to go and visit the Apple Store.

In American you would be out of warranty and would have to pat for the repair.

Thanks for the reply! Apparently Australian Consumer Law gives you 24 months. I'm def visiting a store next week just waiting for the next available appointment. Figured I'd ask in the meantime.
[doublepost=1483789580][/doublepost]
Sand? I know Aussies love the beach.

Hahah that's accurate. However I don't think that it's the sand. I've always kept it in my bag not using it while at the beach cause I do know how it goes in all the little spaces in your phone. I've also considered dust or some kind of dirt got in there but I don't think it would make it sound this bad. My partner had his iPhone 6s Plus since it got out (he's a painter so works in dusty environments) and never had this problem :/

Reactions: Newtons Apple

borgsauce

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2016
Have you considered that maybe it's coffee or something close that night have seeped into the buttons and dries up which explains why you get loudest click when left for a while.

ilma96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
Have you considered that maybe it's coffee or something close that night have seeped into the buttons and dries up which explains why you get loudest click when left for a while.

I honestly don't remember spilling anything over it. If Apple refuses to give me replacement phone I thought I might as well try the rubbing alcohol trick even though I feel a bit scared to do that honestly :D

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
I honestly don't remember spilling anything over it. If Apple refuses to give me replacement phone I thought I might as well try the rubbing alcohol trick even though I feel a bit scared to do that honestly :D
The same thing happened to my iPad Air 2 and if you left it for a while and lightly pressed it it would feel like I was crushing something also but for some reason it went away by itself

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone is experiencing the same problem as I am. My iPhone 6s Rose Gold 64gb has recently developed a loud, crunchy home button. This happens mostly if you press the button in the middle with the tip of your finger or on the right side. However if you cover the button with your finger, pressing evenly it doesn't make that sound. Also it usually makes the loudest click when you leave it for sometime (let's say half an hour) and then press on it. It feels weird and sounds like your crushing something inside. It definitely doesn't sound right. My Apple's Limited Warranty has expired but I'm still covered by Australian Consumer Law. If I take it to Genius Bar will I get a free replacement?

Unless it's the spring being faulty or something gritty is causing the issue embedded around the buttons orifice.

borgsauce

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2016

I'd try my luck with Apple store first, and If they refuse for whatever reason then by all means go for the Isopropyl solution.

ilma96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
The same thing happened to my iPad Air 2 and if you left it for a while and lightly pressed it it would feel like I was crushing something also but for some reason it went away by itself

Did it start out of the blue for you too or did you do something?
[doublepost=1483838951][/doublepost]
Happened to my 6s two months into ownership. It was replaced.

Well this gives me hope, thanks!
[doublepost=1483839020][/doublepost]
I'd try my luck with Apple store first, and If they refuse for whatever reason then by all means go for the Isopropyl solution.

Exactly what I was thinking. I'll have to go with that solution cause it's really annoying hearing it all the time.
[doublepost=1483839076][/doublepost]
Makes me love my 7+'s home button more and more.

Duh, you're lucky. Love the new home button on 7/7+ :D
[doublepost=1483839667][/doublepost]
Unless it's the spring being faulty or something gritty is causing the issue embedded around the buttons orifice.

If it is faulty I don't understand how come it just appeared more than a year into the usage. This is also the reason I doubt Apple will be happy to help.

ilma96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
Just got off the phone with Apple Support Representative who was actually helpful, set me up an appointment in the store (the first available one is actually on Friday 13th and that's all four Melbourne stores considered) and told me that they will have a look at the phone and as far as it hasn't got any damage (hasn't been dropped and so) Consumer Law should cover for a replacement phone. So I hope he's right :D

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Just got off the phone with Apple Support Representative who was actually helpful, set me up an appointment in the store (the first available one is actually on Friday 13th and that's all four Melbourne stores considered) and told me that they will have a look at the phone and as far as it hasn't got any damage (hasn't been dropped and so) Consumer Law should cover for a replacement phone. So I hope he's right :D

At Least you have the consumer law to protect you. Good luck.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
This just happened with my 5s and I fixed it. Take some rubbing alcohol, 90% preferably. Put a very little on a cloth. Put it on the home button and wipe it. I also pushed the button a few times. Then let it dry as it does not take long as the alcohol evaporates fast. Within minutes it was as good as new. Now I used 70% and it caused a little of the alcohol to get under the screen as it does not evaporate as quickly as 90%. However, in less than hour it was gone and my phone is as good as new. That being said any home remedies come with some risk associated with them but it worked for me.

ilma96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
At Least you have the consumer law to protect you. Good luck.

Hope it will turn out to be true! Thanks very much :)
[doublepost=1483874137][/doublepost]
This just happened with my 5s and I fixed it. Take some rubbing alcohol, 90% preferably. Put a very little on a cloth. Put it on the home button and wipe it. I also pushed the button a few times. Then let it dry as it does not take long as the alcohol evaporates fast. Within minutes it was as good as new. Now I used 70% and it caused a little of the alcohol to get under the screen as it does not evaporate as quickly as 90%. However, in less than hour it was gone and my phone is as good as new. That being said any home remedies come with some risk associated with them but it worked for me.

Yup, I've decided to go with this solution if Apple refuses to help me out with a replacement phone :D

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Hope it will turn out to be true! Thanks very much :)
[doublepost=1483874137][/doublepost]

Yup, I've decided to go with this solution if Apple refuses to help me out with a replacement phone :D

Just wondering, if you go with this solution and by chance manage to damage the circuits behind the home button what will you do after?!

anonymous guy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Just wondering, if you go with this solution and by chance manage to damage the circuits behind the home button what will you do after?!
A bit of rubbing alcohol on a cloth won't hurt the home button at all. As long as you're not drowning the button in solution it should be perfectly fine.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
A bit of rubbing alcohol on a cloth won't hurt the home button at all. As long as you're not drowning the button in solution it should be perfectly fine.

Generally it doesn't and there's a gasket type material underneath that but I was just wondering if anybody would be willing to take that risk.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
This is the #1 reason I was anxiously awaiting ditching my 6s plus for 7 plus. This would happen to me all the time and here's what I would do to get temporary relief from these issues. I'd do this maybe once a week or so. Take a clean microfiber cloth and wet it with rubbing alcohol. Not dripping wet but pretty wet. Push it down on your home button and move it around the home button kind of tracing the inner circle part that could get crud trapped. Do this while continuing to hold the button down. Just kind of go in circles for a bit. This seemed to help keep me sane until the 7 came out.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Amazingly I've been using every iPhone since the 3G days until the 6 & have never had any such issues with home buttons. Maybe I'm just too careful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.