Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KevinRightWing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Houston TX
Just replaced a two year old battery after the iPhone would get super slow under 10% and then would turn off at about 6%. Just installed a new battery. New battery lasts a lot longer, but has the same problems at 10%. It gets super laggy and then shuts down at about 6%. What causes this? Do I need to go to a third battery?

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Sounds about normal. It's protecting your data. If it went any lower a surge could corrupt your data and damage the phone. I recommend charging your phone...

On the other hand you could always read the battery conspiracy threads and learn all about Apples' underhanded slowdown tactics... /S

Reactions: Statusnone88

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
The percentage isn't really that accurate. Last time I ran a battery down, it ran at 1% for quite a while before the phone finally turned off. I've heard running it down like that helps recalibrate the percentage reporting, especially when you drop in a new battery. Are you letting your phone fully charge to 100% before trying to run it down?

KevinRightWing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Houston TX
The percentage isn't really that accurate. Last time I ran a battery down, it ran at 1% for quite a while before the phone finally turned off. I've heard running it down like that helps recalibrate the percentage reporting, especially when you drop in a new battery. Are you letting your phone fully charge to 100% before trying to run it down?
Yes I am

UnifiedMelody

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
Just replaced a two year old battery after the iPhone would get super slow under 10% and then would turn off at about 6%. Just installed a new battery. New battery lasts a lot longer, but has the same problems at 10%. It gets super laggy and then shuts down at about 6%. What causes this? Do I need to go to a third battery?

keep your phone above 20% i guess. that's what i normally do even with the new phones. have a handy batt pack , brick and cable with u all the times!
be glad its not shutting down at 2% cos you may have data losses [if any] the phone is taking great precautions.
[doublepost=1513988316][/doublepost]

the battery isn't a great indicator imo, you could shut it down at 10% and upon restarting it might say 3-4% later on despite you shut it down at 10%, the indicator is slightly messed at this point so doing a full charge might, might fix it? but no guarantee.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Sounds about normal. It's protecting your data. If it went any lower a surge could corrupt your data and damage the phone. I recommend charging your phone...

On the other hand you could always read the battery conspiracy threads and learn all about Apples' underhanded slowdown tactics... /S

That is NOT normal behavior for a battery under 10%. Never in my experience of owning iPhones (which has been 5 years) have they ever started lagging and shutting off at random percentages under 10%, EVER.

It amazes me that people are willing to say something like this is acceptable. :rolleyes:

OP, it sounds like you got a bad battery. Is it OEM/genuine? If not, that is probably the issue?

Reactions: geekiemac

geekiemac

macrumors 65816
Feb 13, 2016
That is NOT normal behavior for a battery under 10%. Never in my experience of owning iPhones (which has been 5 years) have they ever started lagging and shutting off at random percentages under 10%, EVER.

It amazes me that people are willing to say something like this is acceptable. :rolleyes:

OP, it sounds like you got a bad battery. Is it OEM/genuine? If not, that is probably the issue?
Agreed, even if I think it might take a while to recalibrate the new battery.

Reactions: viperGTS
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.