Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
It does not surprise me, I've always believed that it's not about the specs. Samsung customer service is terrible, I tried the S4 a few years ago and would never own a Samsung or Andriod phone again! Apple may be behind in features but their devices work well and when features are implemented they also work well.

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Looks like the S7 Edge lags behind the 6s Plus a bit when it comes to loading apps. It probably isn't too noticeable though during day to day use.

Reactions: ABC5S

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It does not surprise me, I've always believed that it's not about the specs. Samsung customer service is terrible, I tried the S4 a few years ago and would never own a Samsung or Andriod phone again! Apple may be behind in features but their devices work well and when features are implemented they also work well.

I think this has been proven time and time again, at least with iPhones. Android phones have always been about the specs until the last year or two. In the past android phones that were not "speced out" would struggle with even basic functions in terms of UI lag. Less to due with android itself, but due to the skins manufactures would throw on top of pure android. For android the manufactures have finally optimized their skins to run smooth. For IOS, we are finally at a spec point where yearly upgrades do not really make sense. Look how good the 5s still runs IOS....I expect the 6s to handle IOS without lag for a very very long time.....unless apple decides to cripple the phone with some crazy software that needs 3gb of RAM.

Reactions: Jetcat3 and Dave245

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Did you see the video in my post?The video in the OP has a rigged S7 so it would lose because I know it's not that slow,Another point to note is that the Global Exynos variant of the S7 is faster than the US only Snapdragon variant

Doesn't the Snapdragon variant have a faster GPU?

OP's video is probably more geared toward users here in the US.

Reactions: Jal217

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Did you see the video in my post?The video in the OP has a rigged S7 so it would lose because I know it's not that slow,Another point to note is that the Global Exynos variant of the S7 is faster than the US only Snapdragon variant

I'm very curious as to your evidence that the S7 in one video is "rigged". Also, how does he go about rigging this unit for its performance?
Also, what is your evidence that the iphone in the second video is not rigged for a degradation of performance.
Both videos show manual input, so there's no scientific proof the tests are the same.

But please do regale us of your "rigged" evidence used.
[doublepost=1458243514][/doublepost]
Please don't forget iPhone lovers, the resolutions are way different, so the test are not Apples to Apples. Agree with Radon8700.

I could be mistaken, admittedly so, but I thought the video was about performance of the unit as a whole to include any GPU indexing.

Reactions: nj1266 and bchreng

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
The test is biased.Here's a real test

Biased? How so exactly? For kicks and giggles, let's assume it was though; the results were identical. The iPhone was consistently and measurably faster than the Galaxy by almost every metric.

What's your point?

• iPhone loaded OS faster.
  • Facebook loaded faster on iPhone even though commentator wanted it to be faster on Galaxy.
  • Instagram was a virtual tie, though commentator said it was "definitely faster" on Galaxy.
  • Twitch a virtual tie as well.
  • App Store a tie (though we all know actual app stores and apps are in large part better on Apple's App Store).
  • Temple Run definitely faster (though commentator says this is due to it being optimized extremely well for iOS). Hah
  • Subway Surfer faster on iPhone.
  • YouTube loaded faster on iPhone, searched faster on phone, and video playing was a tie (commentator again tried to give Galaxy an "edge," but one ca clearly see he tapped the Galaxy just before he did the iPhone. At the very least it's a tie. The margin of error his is laughable.
  • GTA faster on iPhone
  • Camera (again with margin of error and him tapping Galaxy first).
  • Oh, he's a big fan of GSMPhoneArena? (Speaking of being unbiased), this video is starting to make sense now. :rolleyes:
  • Suggestion for web browsing test: put Dhrome up against mobile Safari with content blockers enabled. See how they fair then.
  • Multitasking test is also faster on iPhone as Galaxy has to repeatedly refresh previous apps.
  • Fingerprint test also a tie. (No, commentator, it's not a tie--that animation can be disabled.)
[doublepost=1458243750][/doublepost]
Bwahaha...what? Are you being serious? You can't be serious, can you?

You do realize that the only thing you've accomplished is proving that the 6 month old iPhone is measurably and reliably faster than both variants of the Galaxy, don't you?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Rigged? That comment is very surprising, given there is more than ample evidence the a9 is a killer processor.
[doublepost=1458247437][/doublepost]
It's biased because it didn't give you the result that you wanted?
While I usually dont click on youtube links and That was a joke. After every test the narrator was like: "um the 6s is faster" or "it was close".

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
Please don't forget iPhone lovers, the resolutions are way different, so the test are not Apples to Apples. Agree with Radon8700.
They are not that "way different". Do some research next time, iPhone 6 Plus and 6s Plus renders everything at 2208x1242 and then downsample at 1920x1080 because their panel is "only" 1080p. So no, there is not a "way different" resolution between this and the 2560x1440 of the S7 Edge.

By they way, even if they used an iPhone 6s (which renders everything at 1334x750), what's the problem with that ? We are not comparing A9 SoC vs Snapdragon 820, we are comparing two devices in terms of speed : iPhone 6s vs Galaxy S7 Edge. Manufacturers have to be smart, instead of throwing big power hungry Quad-HD display that you can barely enjoy from a normal distance between it and a (good) 1080p screen, they should put the right display for the right device. Apple is one of them, Samsung is not.

It's a fact, iPhone 6s (and Apple optimization) crush every (6 cores and 4GB RAM) Android phones in terms of pure speed, deal with it.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
[/doublepost said:
I could be mistaken, admittedly so, but I thought the video was about performance of the unit as a whole to include any GPU indexing.

It is about performance. However, having more pixels being drawn on the screen does take some performance hit over the iPhone screen resolution does it not ?

There are others comparisons that show the Edge performing some speed tests beating Apple and some apps from Apple being open a bit sooner than the edge. Games however lean towards Apple for better performance, but some of us older adults do not play games on such a small screen.

They are both good phones, but some can't stand that Samsung is winning some of the speed wars even by a little. Get used to it. Boy, fanboys will never give up.

Last edited:

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Rigged? That comment is very surprising, given there is more than ample evidence the a9 is a killer processor.
[doublepost=1458247437][/doublepost]
While I usually dont click on youtube links and That was a joke. After every test the narrator was like: "um the 6s is faster" or "it was close".

I'm surprised that you're surprised that he made such a comment. It's par for the course for him. Visit Apple related site, non stop talks about how Samsung is the best, types message from his iPhone.

Reactions: Qbnkelt and Max(IT)

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
It is about performance. However, having more pixels being drawn on the screen does take some performance hit over the iPhone screen resolution does it not ?

There are others comparisons that show the Edge performing some speed tests beating Apple and some apps from Apple being open a bit sooner than the edge. Games however lean towards Apple for better performance, but some of us older adults do not play games on such a small screen.

They are both good phones, but some can't stand that Samsung is winning some of the speed wars even by a little. Get used to it. Boy, fanboys will never give up.

The test is about performance on a whole. That's like comparing the power of a semi truck to that of a Ferrari and claiming the Ferrari is faster ONLY because it's lighter?!?!?!!! Samsungs quad HD screens are overkill and designed for spec hungry fanboys that know little to nothing about engineering and optimization. Bragging rights? Sure, but don't be surprised when your zero to 60 takes 10 seconds and the Ferrari (Apple) does it in under 3 seconds.

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
Again, iPhone 6s Plus has way more work to do than you think : it renders everything at 2208x1242 plus do the downsampling to 1920x1080.

There are others comparisons that show the Edge performing some speed tests beating Apple and some apps from Apple being open a bit sooner than the edge.
PhoneBuff is a very reliable YouTube channel. He have done multiple accurate tests in the past even some where the Galaxy S6 was way faster than the standard iPhone 6, so he is not an Apple fanboy at all.

Games however lean towards Apple for better performance, but some of us older adults do not play games on such a small screen.
So 5.5" is small for some mobile gaming ? Really ?
And since when age have to do with whether you play games or not ?

Apple haters will never give up too. Works in both way.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Games however lean towards Apple for better performance, but some of us older adults do not play games on such a small screen.

You don't need to game to get that performance difference you see in games launching. A big part of it is due to stronger single core in the A9, which affects many more areas than just games.

Reactions: iOSUser7

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
Interesting video, but I'm not sure we can draw a solid conclusion because of the disparity in resolutions:

iPhone res: 1920x1080
Samsung res: 2560x1440

It seems the S7 is most affected speed-wise with games which would be understandable due to the much higher pixel count and stress on GPU.

For everyday multitasking on non-game apps it seems S7 is faster as shown by the video ABC5S posted.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Interesting video, but I'm not sure we can draw a solid conclusion because of the disparity in resolutions:

iPhone res: 1920x1080
Samsung res: 2560x1440

It seems the S7 is most affected speed-wise with games which would be understandable due to the much higher pixel count and stress on GPU.

For everyday multitasking on non-game apps it seems S7 is faster as shown by the video ABC5S posted.

Right....resolution determines the games loading speed now? Also it was already mentioned the 6s+ renders first at 2209x1242 before downscaling to 1080p.

It's because A9 has faster single core, which handles most app loading and various other things. Which is why single core is a more important stat vs multi core.

Better everyday multitasking? The s7 Edge has to reload apps sooner than the 6s+ that has only half the memory. Because Samsung's are notorious for terrible management.

iThingsGurl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2014
Canada
Let us not forget operating system also plays a role in device speed, based on how efficiently it allocates resources. We are comparing performance of two drastically different operating systems here. iOS is one of the most resource-efficient modern operating system. Some of the tasks it can perform with such less resources (like say, 1 GB RAM) is really amazing.

Reactions: Laserducky

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
Right....resolution determines the games loading speed now? Also it was already mentioned the 6s+ renders first at 2209x1242 before downscaling to 1080p.

It's because A9 has faster single core, which handles most app loading and various other things. Which is why single core is a more important stat vs multi core.

Better everyday multitasking? The s7 Edge has to reload apps sooner than the 6s+ that has only half the memory. Because Samsung's are notorious for terrible management.

I agree faster single core is generally better than multi core. My point is though, the S7 is dealing with and outputting a lot more resolution than the 6+ and that may be a factor in the performance discrepancy, it's not a 1 to 1 comparison. And per ABC5S, many things seem faster on S7 as well. All I'm saying it's hard to draw a solid conclusion from the video, I'd like to see more tests being done.
[doublepost=1458262704][/doublepost]BTW, I love the way the S7/Android instantly takes you to home screen, no in-your-face animation gimmick, Apple should copy this, or at least speed up the animation (check at 2:40):

Last edited:

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I agree faster single core is generally better than multi core. My point is though, the S7 is dealing with and outputting a lot more resolution than the 6+ and that may be a factor in the performance discrepancy, it's not a 1 to 1 comparison. And per ABC5S, many things seem faster on S7 as well. All I'm saying it's hard to draw a solid conclusion from the video, I'd like to see more tests being done.
[doublepost=1458262704][/doublepost]BTW, I love the way the S7/Android instantly takes you to home screen, no in-your-face animation gimmick, Apple should copy this, or at least speed up the animation (check at 2:40):
Your suppositions regarding "pixel pushing" have already been rebuffed.

Additionally: settings>general>accessibility>reduce motion:ON

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.