Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsg1010

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
I currently have a iPhone 6s Plus on 10.2 and I would like to update to either 12.4.1 or iOS 13

I am concerned over any speed/performance drops and battery life issues.

Anyone can share their experience if I should update or not.

Thanks

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
My father has my 6s and is using 12.4.1 with great success. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that version. As for iOS 13, I will not even think about updating my 8+ until I'm sure 13 is stable enough to suit me. There are many discussions going on about 13 and the anticipated release of 13.1. Unless I get a glowing green light on iOS updates from many different sources, I am slow to update and stick on the previous version's last update as those are generally very, very stable.

Last edited:

asv56kx3088

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
My father has my 6s and is using 12.4.1 with great success. I wouldn't hesitate to that version. As for iOS 13, I will not even think about updating my 8+ until I'm sure 13 is stable enough to suit me. There are many discussions going on about 13 and the anticipated release of 13.1. Unless I get a glowing green light on iOS updates from many different sources, I am slow to update and stick on the previous version's last update as those are generally very, very stable.
Same same. I typically update only when x.3 releases. This probably guarantees stability and at least acceptable performance.

Trepanator

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
I have the latest beta running on a 6s. Speed on this device is fine, at least as fast as iOS 12 which was a big improvement over iOS 11 IMO. Honestly if you are running iOS 10 you will probably see a speed increase from the newer releases. The only reason to remain on that OS release is if you have some abandoned 32 bit apps that have not been updated for 64 bit. I can’t comment on battery life since I have an older battery and constantly run Overcast on accelerated speed with all the voice enhancements but might possibly be a little worse than before. Haven’t had it suddenly drain or anything that I can recall.

rsg1010

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
I updated to 12.4.1 and extremely happy with performance so far. No noticeable slow downs...it may actually feel quicker. Will have to see how the battery performs after a few days. Thanks for the input everyone!

Reactions: staggerlee41

Lz0

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2002
Melbourne
I have a 6s and due to past experience I normally wait but I was hanging out to see the new Apple CarPlay so I updated.

BIG MISTAKE!

In the past my battery has been replaced with a non Apple so I can not see any battery health stuff but pryor to the update it was ok. The update to 13.0 is draining the battery like I've never seen before. Reading the News in the News app I can watch the battery % ticking down. When the battery gets to 30% the phone starts lagging like some kind of Supermarket $29 Android GO phone.

I'm hoping 13.1 is better because if I'm being forced to buy a new phone just to run the latest Apple iOS I will be buying a Samsung phone.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
I have a 6s and due to past experience I normally wait but I was hanging out to see the new Apple CarPlay so I updated.

BIG MISTAKE!

In the past my battery has been replaced with a non Apple so I can not see any battery health stuff but pryor to the update it was ok. The update to 13.0 is draining the battery like I've never seen before. Reading the News in the News app I can watch the battery % ticking down. When the battery gets to 30% the phone starts lagging like some kind of Supermarket $29 Android GO phone.

I'm hoping 13.1 is better because if I'm being forced to buy a new phone just to run the latest Apple iOS I will be buying a Samsung phone.

First. You should not replace your iPhone with non-Apple battery. It will always be subpar compare with the genuine Apple battery. Non-Apple battery will not function correctly.

Second: Your non-genuine battery could not provide enough power when it is in low battery percentage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.