Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slate0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
So I am on a pretty tight budget, but my 6s is really starting to get to me. The performance seems to be suffering just a bit too much at this point in life and I don't expect it to be compatible with next year's iOS. I have it in a battery case so throttling should not be the cause of performance issues.

I took a look at some specs, and I see that the 8+ approximately has a general benchmark of almost double my 6s, and after that the benchmark improvements are marginal. iOS Benchmarks - Geekbench Browser

I know there is more to a phone than benchmarks, but budget is a concern.
For cameras: I recently got an iPad Pro with the lasers :) so I was thinking that would be my best camera in the house and for any future AR uses/experiments. But the 11 inch ipad is just a little too bulky to handle some things as well as a phone would.

I'm normally the type of person to get the super deluxe model, but I need to accept budget realities. I've never dealt with the uncertainty of a used phone before.

Screen size is an issue for me, as I find that it's getting harder and harder to press the right keys as I age. I also think I'm noticing that iOS 14 works better on the taller screen of my family's 12 Pro Max, I'm not sure how the scaling would turn out with the screen ratio of an 8 Plus.

(BTW: I have family with 8 Plus phones but they got a TON of money in trade in for them from their carriers.)

I appreciate input from the community and thank you in advance.

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2019
I have a 7+ and it does everything I need and is plenty fast. I wouldn’t hesitate for a minute to get an 8+ and save a bunch of dough. I would recommend looking for a mint condition one on swappa.com.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

planteater

Cancelled
Feb 11, 2020
I have an 8+ that I've had for almost 3 years now. I upgraded from a 6+ that I still use to store music.

The camera is a big upgrade, the processing is smooth as butter on the latest version of iOS 14. The glass is a big step up from the glass used on the 6+, it's very smooth. The glass on the 6+ feels gritty on comparison.

Even today, I can't really find any compelling reason to upgrade to a the latest iPhone. To me the Touch ID is preferable, and the form factor and screen size of the 8+ are good.

If you can get a new one or Apple refurb, go for it. Good phone and should last for a few more years before it feels old. (if that matters).

Reactions: jimmy_uk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.