Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Super Xander

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Denmark
Anyone who have been able to find a Speedtest compareson between an iPhone affected of the poor battery and a new one to compare the difference in real life usage.

Very interesting to see how much the CPU decrease really do.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I never did any tests. I did replace my battery a month ago before all this came out about the throttling. I never noticed a difference before or after I put a new battery in. The phons has always been fast and dependable.

Someone mentioned that the phone throttles based on cycle counts so it's possible that my old battery may not have had a high enough cycle count. I think it was at about 230 charge cycles after two years. I replaced the battery because it's capacity was at 70% and would have random drops where it the battery % would go from about 70% to about 16% while sitting in my pocket the whole night with no usage. Many times, it would take my watches battery with it.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Speedtest? That’s for internet speeds... you mean a geekbench test... that’s a CPU crunch benchmark.

I think he means like a side-by-side of launching apps and such. That's a much better indication of if there's an actual performance difference rather than benchmarks. It's like practical vs. theoretical.

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
This whole debacle started with Reddit users who did exactly this: They compared test results on phones with an old battery and then with a new battery. The difference was substantial.

mattDC5R

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
Perth, W.Aust now Austin, TX
I installed a new battery in my iPhone 6 this morning, my benchtests varied on the old battery typically around 1400 on the multi-core test up to 2400 if it had been on charge for ages. but 90% of the tests were at the lower number.

its now at ~2850 constantly. just ran the test again and the new battery is at 11% charge and it ran 2846.

sorry its not a 6S but thought it was relevant.

that was an ifixit battery, with the new apple deal i'd have just gone there, my ifixit order arrived yesterday :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.