Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tafmasterpl

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Hello i recently purchased a battery from well respected chinese website selling them for around $9, i changed the battery myself, in coconut battery it stated 0 cycles (now 2 cycyles), but my iPhone 6s still thinks it is the old battery, and in fact the battery life is the same as it was with the original battery from 2016 that came with this phone, which is ridiculous, i read on the internet that battery after installing needs some "recalibration" or full restore of the system, so i did the steps from the internet:
1. Full restore of the iOS 15.8.1 (latest version for 6s) via macOS restore button
2. Charging battery from 0 to 100% (and leaving it on 100% for 2 hours after seeing "100%") 2-3 times
And the battery life is still the same as with old one, the phone is getting to 50% after browsing internet with Safari for 51 minutes, and cannot hold 2 hours on-screen.

Does anyone know how to force an iPhone to recognize the new battery? Why it didnt recognize the battery instantly after the installing, i read a lot of articles that people are crying that iOS gives them the message that battery is non-original one or does not display percentage at all, my 6s does not even know that he has a new battery, lol. Please take a look at screenshots also, the iOS still thinks its old battery at 77% after 9 years.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.PNG
    IMG_0005.PNG
    158.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0004.PNG
    IMG_0004.PNG
    162.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0006.PNG
    IMG_0006.PNG
    125.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Zrzut ekranu 2024-02-18 o 00.34.33.jpg
    Zrzut ekranu 2024-02-18 o 00.34.33.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 37

P_Watt

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2018
Problem with non genuine batteries is that they can usually no longer give you battery stats. In this case it was unable to deprogram the old history. Only an Apple replacement with the chip that Apple prpogram could have got you back to 100% health

Reactions: aj_niner

tafmasterpl

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
I thought this problem only occurs on newer models like 11 + newer ones should get "-" empty without percentage or similar, but in this case, the phone doesn't know he has a new battery at all

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I bought a charger for my G4 PowerBook from a Chinese vendor once. Less than $15, at a time the average was $25 and up.

It caught fire on me at Starbucks. That's the last time I bought a charger from a Chinese vendor.

Is it possible that your problem is related to (a) the vendor being Chinese and (b) the battery being $9?

Obviously that's just how much you value your 6s (it seems to me) as it only rates a $9 battery.

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
I bought a charger for my G4 PowerBook from a Chinese vendor once. Less than $15, at a time the average was $25 and up.

It caught fire on me at Starbucks. That's the last time I bought a charger from a Chinese vendor.

Is it possible that your problem is related to (a) the vendor being Chinese and (b) the battery being $9?

Obviously that's just how much you value your 6s (it seems to me) as it only rates a $9 battery.
It's cheap because corners were cut.

If the corners were cut that results in damage to genuine Apple hardware or health & safety of end user is really up to fate.

I've bought a 3rd party MagSafe 1 charger for a 2013 MBA 13". It did the job and was as warm as a genuine Apple charger whose original MagSafe cable have unraveled to the point it was a shock hazard.

I depend on the user reviews and how frequently bought the item is before purchase.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I suggest that your "bargain" battery is like a saying that I found a few years ago: "Cheap phone batteries (or laptop batteries) often turn out to be no bargain."
If you want to try again, I suggest you look elsewhere. As the post above basically says, look at a site that shows fairly good user reviews - and has a good number of sales of that battery. That CAN indicate a battery that has a reasonable chance of being worth the cost (maybe) (possibly)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.