Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulUKGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2015
Hi,

I previously used the MacRumors forums on one occasion reference an issue with my MacBook, and I received some great advice. (Thank you)!

So I thought I'd try MacRumors once again reference an issue with my wife's iPhone.

She has an iPhone 7 32 GB, Model MQTX2B/A running iOS 11.2.6 (the iOS version is fully up to date as of Tuesday 27th February 2018).

Her phone also has 13.3 GB of storage space remaining.

My Wife's Pictures

Anyway when she is taking pictures using the native Apple Camera app, the pictures themselves do not have a 12 megapixel resolution (even though all the tech specs I have read state that it should produce 12 megapixel pictures). Instead the pictures are a long way short of being anywhere near 12 megapixels!

I discovered this after transferring some of her pictures from her iPhone 7 32 GB to my MacBook. Whereby I control-clicked on the pictures to bring up the menu of options, clicked on <Get Info>, and then looked at the More Info area.

This is when I noticed the dimensions of my wife's pictures were:

1600 x 1200 - Megapixels = 1.92 Megapixels. File Size 123 KB.
750 x 1000 - Megapixels = 750 KP. File Size 143 KB.
1000 x 750 - Megapixels = 750 KP. File Size 79 KB.

Additionally when zooming in on the pictures, I can only do a couple of <zoom> clicks before I notice the pictures get rather 'noisy', fuzzy, and pixelated.

Furthermore, this occurs when selecting either the High Efficiency or Most Compatible options within the Camera Format Settings.

(And I'm not sure if this made a difference, but it also occurred when selecting either the Automatic or Keep Originals options within the Photos TRANSFER TO MAC OR PC Settings).

My Pictures

By contrast however, my iPhone 7 128 GB, Model MN932B/A does capture great 12 megapixel pictures! (And this is when applying the exact same settings, and transferring the pictures to my MacBook in exactly the same way - as described above).

My pictures are:

4032 x 3024 - Megapixels = 12.2 Megapixels. File Size 2.2 MB.
3024 x 4032 - Megapixels = 12.2. Megapixels. File Size 2.0 MB.

NB. I can zoom in on my pictures with lots of <zoom> clicks before the pictures start to get pixelated.

My Wife's Videos

In a similar vein to the aforementioned picture resolution issue, my wife also has a similar issue when trying to capture video in 4K resolution on her iPhone 7 32 GB.

Within her Settings Camera screen, I ensured that I clicked on <Record Video> and selected the option for 4K at 30 fps.

I subsequently opened up the native Apple Camera app, then towards the bottom of the screen I slid across from PHOTO to VIDEO (which I noted then displays '4K' at the top of the screen next to the recording duration timer), and I recorded some video footage in both landscape and portrait orientations.

I then transferred the video files from my wife's iPhone to my MacBook, and discovered it hadn't actually recorded the footage in 4K after all. Once again, it was nowhere near the resolution that the tech specs state is possible!

Instead, my wife's video files were as follows:

480 x 848 (480 p). .MP4 File. Duration 16 seconds. File Size 2.7 MB.
848 x 480 (480 p). .MP4 File. Duration 11 seconds. File Size 1.8 MB.

NB. It's worth noting that QuickTime Player on my MacBook did play my wife's video files smoothly.

However regardless of whether I selected High Efficiency or Most Compatible within the Camera Format Settings on my wife's iPhone, I discovered on my MacBook that within the More Info area for each of my wife's videos, the Codecs were always showing as being H.264, AAC.

(And again I'm not sure if this made a difference, but the same thing also occurred when selecting either the Automatic or Keep Originals options within the Photos TRANSFER TO MAC OR PC Settings).

My Videos

By contrast however, my iPhone 7 128 GB, Model MN932B/A does capture 4K video footage, with my test video file being:

3840 x 2160 (4K). .MOV File. Duration 13 seconds. File Size 35.6 MB. Codecs - hvc1, AAC, mebx

NB. Neither QuickTime Player nor VLC on my MacBook played my test video file smoothly (instead the footage was a bit jittery). But via process of elimination, I am 99% certain this jittering issue is because my MacBook can't handle playing a 4K video file smoothly due to the 4K resolution itself (regardless of file size).

i.e. The jitteriness didn't seem connected to the file size, the file type, or any of the codecs.

For what it's worth - I am hoping my 4K videos will play smoothly via the likes of iMovie, Da Vinci Resolve, or HitFilm Express. I haven't tested any of these yet. (Otherwise I might need to upgrade my MacBook).

But this shouldn't detract from the fact that my wife's iPhone 7 32 GB is not capturing 12 megapixel pictures, neither is it capturing video in 4K.

Summary

With all of this in mind, I would be extremely grateful in anyone had any ideas of how to rectify the issues my wife is having with her iPhone please?

[If all else fails, her phone might need to be replaced by the retail outlet from where she purchased it].

Many thanks in advance.

Paul

PaulUKGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2015
Thanks for your quick reply jav6454.

I have already enabled 4K video to be captured, by going into:

<Settings>
<Camera>
<Record Video>
4K at 30 fps

Unfortunately however the iPhone 7 in question is not actually recording in 4K (even though it says it is).

Furthermore, I only ever transfer files via USB to my MacBook. So this was the method used for transferring the pictures and the videos.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I see three possibilities here

1)
The battery throttling functionality of iOS is in place, preventing the higher qualities (unlikely in my opinion that it'd make this big a difference)

2)
iCloud Photos is activated, and as the files are transferred to the Mac, only the low-quality version from the phone is transferred, not the original files that then reside on iCloud

3)
The phone is overheating

PaulUKGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2015
Hi casperes1996 and BugeyeSTI,

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Off the back of your suggestions I did the following:

(1)
Within the phone itself I went into <Settings> and searched for 'Battery'. It just showed that Low Power Mode is switched off, and that Battery Percentage is switched on.

I also went into <Settings> and searched for 'Throttling'. Unfortunately however it didn't return any results.

(2)
I went into <Settings>, <Photos>, and I switched off iCloud Photo Library, My Photo Stream, and iCloud Photo Sharing.

I also went into <Settings>, <Apple ID, iCloud, iTunes & App Store>, <iCloud>, and where it shows 'APPS USING ICLOUD' - Photos is confirmed as not being one of those apps.

NB. iCloud Drive is also switched off.

(3)
The phone itself doesn't feel hot in the slightest.

Whilst in High Efficiency Format Setting, I have then taken a new test picture and recorded a [supposedly] 4K test video (I double checked this again in the Camera Record Video Settings), which I have just transferred to my MacBook via USB.

Unfortunately the picture is still a long way off being 12 megapixels (it is more like 1.92 megapixels again).

Furthermore the video is still a 480 x 848 (480 p) low resolution MP4 file.

I then repeated this experiment in the Most Compatible Format Setting, but unfortunately I am getting the same result (low resolution pictures and videos).

NB. I also completely switched off the phone and on again between making the above changes - in an effort to ensure the changes were applied.

Do either of you (or anyone else) have any further suggestions may I ask?

Also out of interest, why might it be that my wife's iPhone 7 creates .MP4 video files, whereas my iPhone 7 creates .MOV video files?

Thanks again.

Paul

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
(1)
Within the phone itself I went into <Settings> and searched for 'Battery'. It just showed that Low Power Mode is switched off, and that Battery Percentage is switched on.

I also went into <Settings> and searched for 'Throttling'. Unfortunately however it didn't return any results.

As I said, I think this is very unlikely to be the cause, but the battery throttling switch isn't in the Settings app until the next iOS update. For now the OS does it automatically and you cannot change it at all - it's all dependant on how worn down the battery is

I have no further suggestions though

Regarding formatting, it may just be that the device is programmed to prefer different formats for different video quality settings

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I see three possibilities here

1)
The battery throttling functionality of iOS is in place, preventing the higher qualities (unlikely in my opinion that it'd make this big a difference)

2)
iCloud Photos is activated, and as the files are transferred to the Mac, only the low-quality version from the phone is transferred, not the original files that then reside on iCloud

3)
The phone is overheating

1. Very unlikely
2. Very likely
3. Very likely only if under constant sun or heat source exposure

jwzimm

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2017
Is she "zooming" in when taking the photos? Unless you are using a "plus" phone any zooming you do via pinch is just a digital zoom such that the final photo is a lower resolution.

PaulUKGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2015
Are the photos / vides being taken with he front or back camera?

Hi Vermifuge,

That's a great question!

Whereby I can confirm I was using the rear facing camera, the one that should take 12 megapixel pictures and [when enabled] record 4K video.
[doublepost=1519777758][/doublepost]
Interesting problem. My X records 4K as .MOV also.. When you record 4K on her phone does the indicator at top right of screen say 4K 30?

Hey BugeyeSTI,

My wife's iPhone 7 32 GB just shows the '4K' indicator at the top of the screen (to the right of the recording duration timer).

My iPhone 7 128 GB also just shows '4K'.

(I'm guessing '4K 30' is specific to the iPhone X).
[doublepost=1519777869][/doublepost]
That’s extremely weird, with all the tests you done, it seems a hardware related problem.

Hi firewire9000,

I think you may well have 'hit the nail on the head' with your comment. It might just be a hardware issue.
[doublepost=1519778015][/doublepost]
As I said, I think this is very unlikely to be the cause, but the battery throttling switch isn't in the Settings app until the next iOS update. For now the OS does it automatically and you cannot change it at all - it's all dependant on how worn down the battery is

I have no further suggestions though

Regarding formatting, it may just be that the device is programmed to prefer different formats for different video quality settings

I hear what you're saying there.

Good suggestion!

It would just be great to get to the bottom of it.

But thanks again for your helpful suggestions casperes1996 - I'm much obliged.
[doublepost=1519778260][/doublepost]
OP, you might try restoring the phone as new using itunes and see if it fixes the issue before you replace it.

That's not a bad idea at all!

Thanks BugeyeSTI.

Ultimately if the worst comes to the worst - I'll send her back to the retail outlet from where she purchased it, together with a print out of all the useful suggestions that have been on here (so the store is aware of what we've tried).

Presumably they'll send it back to Apple for a fix, or replace it.
[doublepost=1519778403][/doublepost]
Is she "zooming" in when taking the photos? Unless you are using a "plus" phone any zooming you do via pinch is just a digital zoom such that the final photo is a lower resolution.

Hi jwzimm,

That too is a great question!

But alas I can confirm that the pictures have not been pinch/pull zoomed in any way.

Thanks for your thoughts however.

PaulUKGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2015
UPDATE - I'VE WORKED IT OUT!!!

Hello to everyone who came up with some very useful suggestions with regards to my wife's iPhone 7 seemingly not capturing pictures with a 12 megapixel resolution, and seemingly not recording video in 4K resolution.

I feel slightly embarrassed to say this, but I've been overlooking one step in the file transfer process (from iPhone to MacBook), and it is the critical factor.

Because my iPhone remained connected to my MacBook via USB when I was carrying out my picture and video resolution tests, as and when I took pictures and video using my wife's iPhone (which was not directly connected to my MacBook) - I transferred these files initially from her iPhone 7 to my iPhone 7 via WhatsApp, and then I transferred the pictures and videos from my iPhone 7 to my MacBook.

And I now realise that when sending files from phone to phone via WhatsApp, WhatsApp itself compresses the files!

(Duh. It seems so obvious now).

But once again I just wanted to thank everyone for chipping in with their thoughts and useful suggestions.

I'm sorry to have not realised my mistake in the first place!

Reactions: firewire9000

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
UPDATE - I'VE WORKED IT OUT!!!

Hello to everyone who came up with some very useful suggestions with regards to my wife's iPhone 7 seemingly not capturing pictures with a 12 megapixel resolution, and seemingly not recording video in 4K resolution.

I feel slightly embarrassed to say this, but I've been overlooking one step in the file transfer process (from iPhone to MacBook), and it is the critical factor.

Because my iPhone remained connected to my MacBook via USB when I was carrying out my picture and video resolution tests, as and when I took pictures and video using my wife's iPhone (which was not directly connected to my MacBook) - I transferred these files initially from her iPhone 7 to my iPhone 7 via WhatsApp, and then I transferred the pictures and videos from my iPhone 7 to my MacBook.

And I now realise that when sending files from phone to phone via WhatsApp, WhatsApp itself compresses the files!

(Duh. It seems so obvious now).

But once again I just wanted to thank everyone for chipping in with their thoughts and useful suggestions.

I'm sorry to have not realised my mistake in the first place!
Happy you got it sorted out!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.